Oakley Estate Farms

Nice to see that it arrived safely,im now looking forward to seeing it centred in the tillage train..Cultivating solutions must have it really well designed to withstand the pulling force of 600hp and to have it pulling the weight of the huge drills upon its headstock. I definitely learned something new in this build, and that was my first introduction to the concept of CTS farming, it all makes much more sense to me now

Edited by B O R
  • Like 2

The Oakley Open Evening

Tonight see's a pre harvest open night where all customers are invited for a skittles night with food and beer. Taking the opportunity to offically open the new grain stores with Frontiers state of the art Lab and Marketing Suit, a selection of kit is also on display to tempt new customers into the services we can offer. Tonight we have made promises and now we have to deliver at harvest, with a meeting scheduled with working partnerships to discuss this critical time ahead. A great turn out, including Chris Speak, Tony House, Paul Longman, Rob Vaux, Joe Broughton, Juilian Gillard, Mark Pope, Nick Bragg, Stew Elliott, Archie Mongomery, Manor Farm Staff, Andrew Palmer, Jamie Pullen, Orchard Contracting Staff and Simon Madge. post-2769-0-19100400-1434750508_thumb.jp post-2769-0-77931800-1434750536_thumb.jp post-2769-0-16515900-1434750573_thumb.jp post-2769-0-46415100-1434750605_thumb.jp post-2769-0-90594900-1434750728_thumb.jp post-2769-0-18085400-1434750764_thumb.jp post-2769-0-30850800-1434750796_thumb.jp post-2769-0-70419900-1434750830_thumb.jp post-2769-0-24673600-1434750858_thumb.jp post-2769-0-97804300-1434750900_thumb.jp

• Like 5

A small update to whats going on down on farm this week. Webby has put the trimmer on to tidy up all the verges around the village and to open up gateways for better visibility during harvest. Julian and his boys along with Stew are taking care of our second cut silage for AD and seem to be progressing very well whilst Tom and Dan are off to haul chicken litter from Lopen site up to Hinton Park for Orchard Farm tomorrow with more due next week from Sherborne. Looks like the organic matter bug is catching on ;)post-2769-0-84221800-1435085731_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Going to put boards on the bottom of the boxes so you can pick them up?

Is bulk spuds not popular in the UK? Alex?

Skin quality is everything in the UK Ol as British tend to eat them with the skin left on so all in boxes rather than bulk.

The end of this week saw a pre harvest meeting held at Oakley with Orchard and Manor to discuss the plans for this years silly season with who is doing what. All clear with whats happening and now turning attention to getting things in place to get this right. The biggest part from our point of view is the baling and clearing of straw promptly within CTF, this includes our contractors to tweak their kit a little. Deals have been made also on friday as markets closed down on feed winter barley of which we have 330 acres of Hyvido, nothing special but not poor, this is what we inherited so haven't spent a great deal of input on and their is compaction everywhere, it didn't help us having to put another set of tramelines in for 36m and the 24m ones never matched anyhow! I cannot wait to get this off and start a fresh. We can take this up to Hinton Park and mix with Orchards barley for shifting on the same contracts with Lloyds and Riverside, this is kind of Julian allowing us to do this as it keeps my floor space free without a small amout of barley sitting in the way. Looked at the Rape today and its at least 10 days from burning off but they give a hot week here in Somerset which may bring things forward, we shall see.

Edited by Oakley Farms
  • Like 1

Will be interesting to see how your contractors handle baling and collecting the bales within your CTF. Doe's it mean they'll have to run their tractors and machinery at your wheel settings?

Firstly Mark thank you for your continued interest and questions, it makes posting and coming on here worthwhile and to reply to proactive comments. It has taken me a little time to come up with an idea of how to pick up bales within CTF, it crossed my mind to say bugger it i'll chop all the straw but being in the South West its a valuable commodity and also allows other users on here to get involved, cuts my model purchasing costs down not having to buy balers and muck spreaders etc if i can use other forum members to do a service it adds and extra layer to the topic and i can spend the money saved on better models suited to my storyline. So yes the contractors kit will have to follow our CTF lines, the baler will be anyway because of obv following the combine but then i have developed to fit a bar on the end of the bale chambers to flip the bale over to left or right similar to what the big hesstons do allowing the bale chaser driver to follow down the same line with the bale off centre, hit it with the budge bar on the front linkage turning 90 degrees as the tractor drives forward ready to be picked up by an arm on the side of the chaser, my biggest headache is then how to turn/flip/rotate the bale to be stacked on the chaser bed but i will cross that as i convert the model. Then the bales can be stacked off field to be hauled at lesuire by tractors trailers snd lorries.
  • Like 2

Would the bale chasers running just of line to pick the bales up make that much difference then? Its only once a year and ,whilst i am not overly familiar with the ctf policys, i wouldnt have thought to much damage would be done to that run of soil would it? I know when we carted bales,or grain, we ran down a tram line to one side then round the edge,the only bit we ever needed to do major work on was the main side we used,which usually got a run over with the bomford chisle , if only to assist when we ploughed .

It would yes Sean, with CTF its high investment and to make it work you have to be strict. A true CTF system the wheelings take up something like 22% field area, by putting in another set of wheelings running a bale chaser to the side will instantly double that. The idea is the more than 75% field area is not driven on, yields increase by 18%, shallower faster cultivations as you don't need slow deep cultivations to put right trafficking all over the field, this results in less diesel, better uptake of fertilisers and chemicals, better moisture retention and drainage, all in coupled with a wider rotation, cover crops and increasing soil organic matter results in healthier soils=better yields=higher margins. Its something everyone needs to pay more attention to with ever more chemical resistancy, shocking rates of soil eroision and UK yields plateauing its time to act before its too late. UK farmers cannot continue to farm as we do now, we really neglect our soils and we won't stay competitive as a market, and with increasing problems such as blackgrass and losing active ingredients in chemicals left right snd centre, we need to go back to basics and learn from our friends overseas particularly NZ. A handful of dynamic progrssive UK farms are embracing these systems and changing farming practices and i have great respect for them.

Edited by Oakley Farms
  • Like 1

good updates Alex, interesting to read and learn about CTF, it makes sense once its explained. Bale chasers hmm, I built a HEATH some time ago and sincerely wished I had built myself one, it is very impressive in model form. But there is a huge number of working parts on them, and much tricky work, a lot of the soldering having to be done with the parts in-situ. I love to see them working and I see Big Bale North have there own version now called the transtacker, my first thoughts on it is that it wouldn't last as long as a Heath due to the complex rotating table head and even more moving parts than the Heath but time will tell, either are some pieces of kit. Walton and Arcusin are 2 more major players in this market. Id class them as big a job as the Tong Peal Graders but I have a grader and not a chaser, you cant keep them all.....

• Like 1

Thanks Brian, glad you are enjoying it! Looking at the market i think the Arcusin would be the only chaser to work on a CTF system proving the bale was placed to the side of the wheelings as the chaser runs directly behind the tractor inline and relies on an arm to pick the bales up, where as the heath the whole chaser is offset putting in separte wheelings, its a difficult situation, i think the key lies with getting the bales to drop of the back of the baler in the right position!