Oakley Estate Farms

A Fendt would be nice but try to keep everything matching, so with a fleet of JD's it had to be a black 6210r

Nice too see Oakley sticking with John Deere's and a nice special addition at that. Good too see a trailer in black as well for a matching set. Did Phil know it was going to be something special then or was it a surprise ?

Some of the spud land near me looked like a war zone after spud lifting  this year , it take a good few years id think to get it right agin after all this wet  seasons we ve had  , do you have the same trouble with youre land Alex ???  & how many years between spuds  in the rotation plan

alex,what is your tractor fleet,you say jd's,but you run a challenger as well dont you?

Yes Paul, all the fleet is John Deeres except for the big tractor which is a Challenger, we tried JD's version of tracked tractor but found the MT765D far superior in comfort, ride, & pulling power

Some of the spud land near me looked like a war zone after spud lifting  this year , it take a good few years id think to get it right agin after all this wet  seasons we ve had  , do you have the same trouble with youre land Alex ???  & how many years between spuds  in the rotation plan

Yes we do have the same trouble here, but our philosophy is to start earlier to finish earlier, but yes towards the end of last year some fields did look a bomb site and trying to get wheat in behind was tough, however if this happens again we now have the Horsch Express drill to cope with the conditions, but we hope it doesnt come to that and we can crack it in with the Vaderstad. Potatoes are grown 1 in 7 years here on a rotation around the home farm.

Yes Paul, all the fleet is John Deeres except for the big tractor which is a Challenger, we tried JD's version of tracked tractor but found the MT765D far superior in comfort, ride, & pulling power

Don't think I would agree with you there! Deere's 8RT is probably on top of Challenger with their suspension, good cab and CVT transmission. The older machines are horrible though.

Don't think I would agree with you there! Deere's 8RT is probably on top of Challenger with their suspension, good cab and CVT transmission. The older machines are horrible though.

I think it comes down to personal preference, one of the farms this layout is based on tried a deere and said they felt every bump, i would agree with you on the vario gearbox, that is a major plus. Next year we will be swapping to the MT875E for CTF which is unbeatable without going to articulated

Interesting as ever Alex. 8)

How do keep the water up to the spuds in a dry year or wash in the side dressings of N on light land with such a big area? Leaseing land for roots without a center pivot is paid less here as they growers know a windy week or the likes with gun watering is hopeless when the crop is sucking in our climate. The 1/32 world needs a pivot of sorts realy I've always banged on. 

I think it comes down to personal preference, one of the farms this layout is based on tried a deere and said they felt every bump, i would agree with you on the vario gearbox, that is a major plus. Next year we will be swapping to the MT875E for CTF which is unbeatable without going to articulated

True Alex it does very much. My father in law drives an 8420T and that is utter rubbish. In the field it is ok but on the road a nightmare. An Challenger 765B and 8345RT were tried and the Deere was far superior. Maybe in ten years time ::) Why would you go to the 875E, to run a 12m drill?

Interesting as ever Alex. 8)

How do keep the water up to the spuds in a dry year or wash in the side dressings of N on light land with such a big area? Leaseing land for roots without a center pivot is paid less here as they growers know a windy week or the likes with gun watering is hopeless when the crop is sucking in our climate. The 1/32 world needs a pivot of sorts really I've always banged on.

Some very interesting points being made on here now, we don't have an issue washing N in due to the climate at the time of spreading, plenty of showers, too many in fact, the biggest problem is stopping nutrients leaching, mainly over winter, something I'm becoming very keen on is soil structure, soil health is becoming a big thing now, preserving earthworms, increasing % organic matter, preventing erosion etc, steps here at Oakley are being made to improve all this, the first step was the move to tracks on the combine & big tractor, reducing compaction, then i introduced spring beans into the rotation as they fix Nitrogen into the soil and chopping the straw will improve Organic matter, the spreading of poultry litter & compost will also help this and improve soil structure after spuds. Another thing happening next year will be drilling cover crops, this kills several birds with one stone, although no income is made from these crops we will see the benefits in the future, fodder radish mix is to be drilled after the rape has come off possibly direct drilled depending on clean stubble, we won't worry about rape volunteers so saving money on a roundup spray early on, this mix will be over wintered before being sprayed off before going into spuds, my thoughts are it has several benefits, radish roots bust compaction, keeps soil structure together during wet months, prevents the leaching of nutrients, encourages worms, acts as a green manure, the only downsides are the time and cost of putting it in, which can be kept down by direct drilling. As for irrigation, we have and underground network of water pipes which run from the lake in the park to a hydrant in every field, it was put in some 20 years ago, we have 3 reels which run the tramlines in spud fields, we only water spuds here to improve yield and help skin finish, the drawbacks are 2 chaps on it night and day moving reels to get round the 300 acres, pivot systems are not common here but a 1/32 system would be very interesting, and id live to see it, perhaps a pioneer like yourself Ol could invest in one?? As to your question with keeping water in the beds, we used to use an aqueel roller on behind the planter which was a lightweight foam roller and puts divots in the beds to hold moisture, we also use a damdyker to make groves in the wheelings to slow water down on sloping ground, the only trouble is when it comes to harvest its like driving up a stepladder! Edited by Oakley Farms
  • Like 1

True Alex it does very much. My father in law drives an 8420T and that is utter rubbish. In the field it is ok but on the road a nightmare. An Challenger 765B and 8345RT were tried and the Deere was far superior. Maybe in ten years time ::) Why would you go to the 875E, to run a 12m drill?

Yes Niels we are looking at the 875E to pull a 12m drill & a 12m shallow cultivator at speed, we are also looking at a 7m topdown for ground that needs more work but primarly for spud ground preparation, the spud operation throws CTF out the window, something i need to work on and come up with a solution, perhaps a good subsoil after im not sure yet, or give up spuds altogether! Im really researching CTF at the mo and the operations iv seen all run 856C's or quadtracks, we are actually looking at 2 875E's and put one on a chaser bin at harvest ;)

Yes Niels we are looking at the 875E to pull a 12m drill & a 12m shallow cultivator at speed, we are also looking at a 7m topdown for ground that needs more work but primarly for spud ground preparation, the spud operation throws CTF out the window, something i need to work on and come up with a solution, perhaps a good subsoil after im not sure yet, or give up spuds altogether! Im really researching CTF at the mo and the operations iv seen all run 856C's or quadtracks, we are actually looking at 2 875E's and put one on a chaser bin at harvest ;)

That certainly is an issue indeed. If you chuck the packer roller off an TopDown and modify it a little you can fit some ridging bodies on the back! Would need a 7,2m machine for that though. I take it you would Topdown the wheat stubble after harvest, leave and plant potatoes in the spring? Maybe widening bed size from 180cm to 300cm would reduce traffic also? Can also use a windrower and chuck 2 beds into another one. Lift 6 at once? Though it would require new expensive machinery. Yup, chucking out is best. Why would you grow fodder radish after rape, 2 brassica's. Maybe yellow mustard or a Pedders mix is better?

Edited by Niels

If you give up the spuds I would gladly take all your spud gear off your hands as you have some great kit

• Like 1

That certainly is an issue indeed. If you chuck the packer roller off an TopDown and modify it a little you can fit some ridging bodies on the back! Would need a 7,2m machine for that though. I take it you would Topdown the wheat stubble after harvest, leave and plant potatoes in the spring? Maybe widening bed size from 180cm to 300cm would reduce traffic also? Can also use a windrower and chuck 2 beds into another one. Lift 6 at once? Though it would require new expensive machinery. Yup, chucking out is best. Why would you grow fodder radish after rape, 2 brassica's. Maybe yellow mustard or a Pedders mix is better?

No i think trying to control traffic potatoes is too much of a headache! No potatoes always follow rape here, thats just the way the rotation works, at the mo we wizz through with the carrier to get volunteers to chit then spray off leaving clean for the winter, then in the spring we shakerate and the topdown and then in with the riding bodies. I know radish is another brassica but we are only looking at a 5 month cover crop, combined with peas in the mix i dont think it should be a problem as by feb/march it will be topped or grazed ready for spuds, im looking for something to direct drill after the rape is off and over winter until feb