Oakley Estate Farms

Interesting reading Alex. We spread drilling out so that the input timings and harvest aren't on the same day and with todays weather patterns some of it will miss the hail or rain/sprouting or not need irrigation on the same week. There is a cultivar for every drilling date now days as you know.

If the wheat is late going in and with low soil N, going in with ammo at emergence will soon buck it's ideas up and then just cut back the N on the last application? total N is the same just the timing is move?    

• Like 1

I don't think the construction of the drill is strong enough to take a crane of that size. Would also add a LOT of weight.

Well I was none to sure either Niels,so I had a look through Hiab web site,and they do several small Transit sized loaders like this one,

Hiab_zpsxmdj5pgk.jpg

One tonne lift capacity at 3 meter radius,and it weighs 295kg,not sure if that is to heavy though,??

Regards

Joe.

I don't think 3 metres would be enough Joe. Also it needs to lift a tonne of seed from that distance which puts a lot of strain on the crane. The drill would need to be heavily modified. I have never seen such a thing carried out. There probably is a good reason! If you have a telehandler at hand stick two bags on, can run anywhere and easy peasy filling up.

Nice update again Alex. Good to hear your are doing well with your spring drilling campaign. Do you roll down all seed and what with?

• Like 1

3m radius is fine with a lorry, but with a 12m drill, coulters arms etc out, it wouldn't deal with it, the drills chassis would be to thin to take that sort of weight so far out ,its designed for weight straight down onto it, not out and away from it , it would also  take to long to stop and fold it all up every time you needed to top up, hence the auger fitted to it , or loading the hopper via a jcb  ,which most people tend to do. 

• Like 1

I don't think 3 metres would be enough Joe. Also it needs to lift a tonne of seed from that distance which puts a lot of strain on the crane. The drill would need to be heavily modified. I have never seen such a thing carried out. There probably is a good reason! If you have a telehandler at hand stick two bags on, can run anywhere and easy peasy filling up.

Nice update again Alex. Good to hear your are doing well with your spring drilling campaign. Do you roll down all seed and what with?

3m radius is fine with a lorry, but with a 12m drill, coulters arms etc out, it wouldn't deal with it, the drills chassis would be to thin to take that sort of weight so far out ,its designed for weight straight down onto it, not out and away from it , it would also  take to long to stop and fold it all up every time you needed to top up, hence the auger fitted to it , or loading the hopper via a jcb  ,which most people tend to do.

Fairy Nuff,just thought it might be a reasonable solution,but it would never work with the drill being 12m, ???

Regards

Joe.

Interesting reading Alex. We spread drilling out so that the input timings and harvest aren't on the same day and with todays weather patterns some of it will miss the hail or rain/sprouting or not need irrigation on the same week. There is a cultivar for every drilling date now days as you know.

If the wheat is late going in and with low soil N, going in with ammo at emergence will soon buck it's ideas up and then just cut back the N on the last application? total N is the same just the timing is move?

I agree with you there Ol, great point! we concentrate on two varieties for early and late for both rape and wheat mainly to simplify things and pick traits to suit most variables, when does early become late is the question, drilling date? Weather? A mix of both here combined with knowledge of which varieties do well where. But with wheat we go from block to block drilling which seems to work well at harvest going from block to block like you say so it doesn't all cone at once, we find over 6,600 acres the first and last are a month apart at harvest which works very well.

That seems quite a pre longed period? Do you differentiate between spring and winter varieties in those months? I know your seasons are very different to ours Ol? Well we start drilling winter rape straight after the combines, often chasing the balers out the field as we have a very short window, try to start around August the 15th, 20th is optimum drilling date and the first week in Sept is considered to be starting to get late although mid Sept would probably be our cut off date, a very narrow window. There then is a couple days/weeks depending on weather allowing for cultivations and glyphosate before drilling wheat from the end of Sept and i like to be finished by end of Oct before the weather turns. November i simply don't drill unless we are pushed and not finished i'll go on the frosts at night. I have heard a month either side of Christmas is a no go for wheat but i prefer to stop in November and plant a spring crop instead and try to establish a good crop that will be up and away with warmer temps and achieve a premium. With spring drilling we start in the last week of Feb if poss and have until late March, not the same pressure.

I don't think 3 metres would be enough Joe. Also it needs to lift a tonne of seed from that distance which puts a lot of strain on the crane. The drill would need to be heavily modified. I have never seen such a thing carried out. There probably is a good reason! If you have a telehandler at hand stick two bags on, can run anywhere and easy peasy filling up. Nice update again Alex. Good to hear your are doing well with your spring drilling campaign. Do you roll down all seed and what with?

Generally not in the Spring as there is still a lot of moisture in the ground that would be a little tacky for the rolls and compaction with another pass, if it was dry enough and we had cloddy seedbeds of course we would, i tend not to worry too much with spring beans as they are drilled deeper and gave more seed to soil contact. However in the autumn especially with rape we roll everything for seed to soil contact, reduction of habitat for slugs, better establishment and to conserve moisture and we use a set of Vaderstad Rollex cambridge rolls......and you guessed it, 12 meters wide!
  • Like 1

That seems quite a pre longed period? Do you differentiate between spring and winter varieties in those months? I know your seasons are very different to ours Ol? Well we start drilling winter rape straight after the combines, often chasing the balers out the field as we have a very short window, try to start around August the 15th, 20th is optimum drilling date and the first week in Sept is considered to be starting to get late although mid Sept would probably be our cut off date, a very narrow window. There then is a couple days/weeks depending on weather allowing for cultivations and glyphosate before drilling wheat from the end of Sept and i like to be finished by end of Oct before the weather turns. November i simply don't drill unless we are pushed and not finished i'll go on the frosts at night. I have heard a month either side of Christmas is a no go for wheat but i prefer to stop in November and plant a spring crop instead and try to establish a good crop that will be up and away with warmer temps and achieve a premium. With spring drilling we start in the last week of Feb if poss and have until late March, not the same pressure.

Yes it is a fair wack of time to be putting wheat in but with livestock often in the mix or double cropping time gets away on you. Spring wheat is from july-spet, oddly if we look after the spring wheat sown in spet witch is getting late for us and weather is on your side it'll still yield well and some of the weed spray saving is used on more water so costs aren't to bad.

• Like 1

A small update, nearly an inch of rain friday has put stop to spring drilling for a day or two, the land is hanging wet and temps are quite chilly. A weekend off for the team, chance to re group, re grease, etc. the problem of handler shortages is now cured with 2 new Claas Scorpion 7055's from Vaughan Agri, when it drys out these both be put straight to work. Some frustrating news with Dobles taking back Hurcott to re start farming in Sept 2015 so thats 800 acres less, some irons still in the fire locally woth potential new customers, blocks are in high demand driving prices through the roof. A positive note is spud movement has been excellent with x2 loads a day of 65+ Sylvana leaving the farm for A and B Produce through Branston and the same booked for next week, Express Potatoes also took x2 loads of Melody 50x70 the end of the week, this can only get better as we head towards Easter. post-2769-0-33340400-1426440435_thumb.jp

Edited by Oakley Farms
  • Like 1

Generally not in the Spring as there is still a lot of moisture in the ground that would be a little tacky for the rolls and compaction with another pass, if it was dry enough and we had cloddy seedbeds of course we would, i tend not to worry too much with spring beans as they are drilled deeper and gave more seed to soil contact. However in the autumn especially with rape we roll everything for seed to soil contact, reduction of habitat for slugs, better establishment and to conserve moisture and we use a set of Vaderstad Rollex cambridge rolls......and you guessed it, 12 meters wide!

Now you mention it, I think we have seen it in this topic before somewhere. Thanks!

You'd not want to many farmers family's having had a few years off and watching your slicker system and saying to them selves young so and so will be home next year and we might have another go, being abit wiser now and with someone young to put in the hours it might be on again for the family....do you have a min amount of years you will farm block xyz for?

One thing that strikes me is all the land you can get ahold of, here good arable land is not often up for lease or sale.  

Well, good news for you Joe! Seems one Danish Horsch dealer has pimped up a big drill with yes you've guessed it a hydraulically sliding loading crane on the drawbar! https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.837932659606638.1073742260.104426139623964&type=1

He probably read about it in this topic ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Thanks for that Niel,although,his idea looks a bit older than mine,but,you never know, ;) ;)

Regards

Joe.

• Like 1

I love the way this topic evolves into so much more than a story line. Ideas, suggestions, practical solutions and really constructive discussion often weighing up pros and cons, it has been absolutely fantastic of late and is a pleasure hosting it, keep it up lads! Happy Farming! :)

• Like 2

Shame I don't have the space and skills to produce a lay out of my own as some sort of counterweight to Oakley and contribute to the forum. :-[. A good thing some other members do though! Really loving it.

• Like 3

Shame I don't have the space and skills to produce a lay out of my own as some sort of counterweight to Oakley and contribute to the forum. :-[. A good thing some other members do though! Really loving it.

You'd be welcome to shear my layout if your were handy. The fiats might be ageing but we'd make it grow. 8)

• Like 1

You'd not want to many farmers family's having had a few years off and watching your slicker system and saying to them selves young so and so will be home next year and we might have another go, being abit wiser now and with someone young to put in the hours it might be on again for the family....do you have a min amount of years you will farm block xyz for?

One thing that strikes me is all the land you can get ahold of, here good arable land is not often up for lease or sale.

It is frustrating Ol but such is life, our contracts are only for 12 months, not tying land owners down and run Sept to Sept, but is is annoying when you have spent tine and money widening gateways, improving access, digging ditches and improving soil structure, in the first years of running the contract farming side of things this is the first customer to pull out, luckily we have not spent much time on ditches etc. On the land front i don't see it as getting blocks of land but as getting new customers on board in the local area, who dare i say it are struggling or at time of life where interest is lacking and the business plan laid out in front of them backed up by good results and profits become a very attractive offer. It very much helps if there land is blocked so I'm careful of who to approach as small fields everywhere become very expensive! We also work closely with 2 local investors who buy land as an investment as they have big buying capabilities and we farm for them, one is a land agent the other a retired auctioneer.
  • Like 1

It's been a busy week here in Somerset, Monday saw us install a new bigger diesel tank-Challengers and Lexion's are thirsty blighters! Using both handlers we eased it into position before returning to spring field work. post-2769-0-76864200-1427033361_thumb.jp

Spring beans are now all drilled and went smoothly and the end of the week saw us catch up on the pre em's making good use of the new bowser and what a piece of kit this is, all 1,200 acres completed in 3 days. post-2769-0-83283700-1427033548_thumb.jp post-2769-0-09451000-1427033586_thumb.jp post-2769-0-20240600-1427033619_thumb.jp post-2769-0-94220500-1427033661_thumb.jp post-2769-0-89614400-1427033738_thumb.jp post-2769-0-65251300-1427033810_thumb.jp post-2769-0-04931300-1427033893_thumb.jp post-2769-0-04703500-1427033963_thumb.jp

The grain handling installation boys have also got on well and pretty well completed the outside elevators and conveyors, they now are concentrating on the inside overhead conveyors while the builders are sorting doorways out. We have got the planter in the workshop ahead of potato planting with the amistar pipes to fit on and the box rotator needs a new bearing. post-2769-0-56734200-1427034181_thumb.jp post-2769-0-76727300-1427034246_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Sunday 22nd March

Today saw the whole team head done to Merryfield airbase in Ilton for crunch day regarding CTF. We hired the base for the morning to map out a field and make sure every bit of kit matched up, 2 years in the planning and I'm pleased to say it matched a treat. We took the 2 Lexions, 2 Challengers one with the drill the other with the 12m carrier, tractor and rolls and finally a tractor and trailer for making sure the combine auger extensions are correct, great photo opportunity too. Apologies to the locals for disruption on a Sunday morning asking you to move parked cars. post-2769-0-22702800-1427034613_thumb.jp post-2769-0-09146300-1427034647_thumb.jp post-2769-0-95342400-1427034669_thumb.jp post-2769-0-83275700-1427034690_thumb.jp post-2769-0-40479300-1427034712_thumb.jp post-2769-0-04522100-1427034738_thumb.jp

• Like 3