Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) or log book & licence discs

Today I arrived home to the usual pile of junk mail and other mail including a couple of brown envelopes with a postage paid GB Swansea7...funny I thought that looks like DVLA and I have already got license discs for 3 of my 5 tractors this year already.

Anyway after opening the more important mail and binning the garbage ones I found these two documents

P1020468.jpg

P1020467.jpg

I had not heard about a reissue of V5's because of the following

P1020469.jpg

I don't like the Q&A to the second as to what to do with my old blue V5C....well I have the old (brown) log book and maybe at least two blue V5's for my 1941 Farmall A...so I have no intention's of destroying it...I mean I cannot destroy the history on my oldest tractors :huh:

Edited by BC

The reason for the new red version of the registration V5C document Bill is because they've had a lorry load of the previously blue coloured ones stolen so as and when each of your registered vehicles come up for their tax disc again, they are issuing the new red version to prevent any of the older blue ones being used. They are asking you to destroy the old ones but like youirself, no-one probably will as they will be thinking the same as you, history of the vehicle and keeping the iden***y of the vehicle, especially if you have a vehicle that you have not registered in your name which I'm sure there are a large number of. We all know what it's like to obtain a document and retain a registration plate if you have no proof of vehicle iden***y.

A friend of mine has several old classic/veteran cars and he has the original handwritten card log books which were discontinued in the 1970s or thereabouts and replaced by the printed forms now in use. These were completed by each owner in turn so have a complete list of names (and addresses) of all the previous owners from day one. They make fascinating reading especially the one for his 1946 VW Beetle

How he managed to keep those I really do not know (but can guess) as they had to be sent back to the DVLA.

Hey Bill im in the motor trade you can hold on to your old blue tax book if you want we even have people coming in to trade there cars in and they still have the old green tax book

Rest assured Robert I will be retaining I never through anything like that out since it adds to the history of the tractor for owners in years to come ;D ;D

A friend of mine has several old classic/veteran cars and he has the original handwritten card log books which were discontinued in the 1970s or thereabouts and replaced by the printed forms now in use. These were completed by each owner in turn so have a complete list of names (and addresses) of all the previous owners from day one. They make fascinating reading especially the one for his 1946 VW Beetle

How he managed to keep those I really do not know (but can guess) as they had to be sent back to the DVLA.

Sue I think you had to send back the old buff log books to DVLA so they could be marked cancelled but I have been told you had the option to have it sent back to you. This is the one piece of history which eludes my Nuffield which was new to my grandfather in 1957...I have however the buff log book for my 1941 Farmall A EY 7427 registered in Anglesey.

Oh NO, Bill - not another collection!

You may be right although I cannot remember having an option to have mine returned at the time (not that I wanted it) but I think that my friend's log book is pristine with no cancellation stamps on it. I will not ask him how that happens to be the case.

I'm afraid so Sue but paper collections don't take up a lot of room. I have also a collection of tax discs I got from an uncle from many of his cars and vans from the 1960's...I'm sure I did a post at the time but that may have been dropped when we went on to the new system.

I'm not certain of dates but the 'buff' logbook was one of the first official registration documents that were originally issued by the District or County Council and were stamped in the circles by the issuing office or the Post office when you renewed your road tax. The DVLA as we know them now took over this in the early 1960's and replaced the buff logbooks with a green one. The blue V5 was introduced around 1971 and in 1984 all vehicle records were transfered onto the DVLA computerised system, any vehicles that did not have a current tax disc at this point were not put on the computer. The V5C was introduced around 1998 and now replaced by the new red version, for the reason stated in previous posts.

I'm afraid so Sue but paper collections don't take up a lot of room. I have also a collection of tax discs I got from an uncle from many of his cars and vans from the 1960's...I'm sure I did a post at the time but that may have been dropped when we went on to the new system.

Depends how long you've been collecting paper Bill. An old farming lady on a farm near me collected all her newspapers, when she died and the house cleared, her living room and 2 bedrooms were so full of them that you had to turn sideways to walk through the rooms, It took 3 skips to clear. I was told that the earliest papers in the 'collection' dated to 1933.

Depends how long you've been collecting paper Bill. An old farming lady on a farm near me collected all her newspapers, when she died and the house cleared, her living room and 2 bedrooms were so full of them that you had to turn sideways to walk through the rooms, It took 3 skips to clear. I was told that the earliest papers in the 'collection' dated to 1933.

I'm not quite as bad as that Tim I hardly even buy a newspaper these days.

They were all in this envelope along with petrol coupons and his red book driving licence...I have just had a horrible thought I can't remember where I have put this collection.

26112009025.jpg

26112009026.jpg

26112009027.jpg

The 1st licence disc for my Nuffield which was still at the back of the disc holder. The tractor was registered on the 31st October 1957...I wonder if my grandad had grudged paying £ 2 for only two months....I suspect not when He had spent over £700 on a new tractor.

Nuffy1stlicdisc.jpg

Nuffybillofsale-1.jpg

Edited by BC

... I shall have to introduce you to Robin - he has several albums of tax discs too.

Ok some more from my own cars...well the last two only...

First one.... January 1999 and my private plate was not transferred from my 1992 Cavalier GSI to my new Vectra 2.5 V6 but the chief constable at the time in Aberdeen said it was ok to drive until the disc came through....I felt like a bit of a "Del boy trotter"...but hey ho all was well.

12122009001.jpg

12122009002.jpg

12122009003.jpg

12122009004.jpg

12122009005.jpg

Edited by BC