Fancy eating new potatoes on Christmas day that taste like they have been newly lifted?

Many year ago when I was a kid..going back a while now....I remember my folks putting newly lifted potatoes into a biscuit / sweetie tin and burying them in the ground. They were lifted on Xmas eve frost permitting and of course if you could remember where you buried them ;D ;D

Anyway this is how it was done as far as my mum and I can remember.

Lift the required number of potato's wrap in kitchen roll and place in a "tin" box....this one was probably kept from last Xmas. Seal the box to make it as air tight as possible and for this I have used parcel tape. Put the tin in a bin bag...this is a Costco one but it doesn't have to be ;D ;D

P1030315.jpg

P1030316.jpg

P1030317.jpg

P1030318.jpg

Edited by BC

Dig a hole...I went about a spade and a half deep.

P1030319.jpg

Bury

P1030320.jpg

Make sure you mark the spot

P1030321.jpg

Has anyone else heard of this or tried before :huh:

I will keep you posted of the result whether it be good or bad :unsure:

Ah yes I must have been having a senior moment Joe.......... I remember those two presenter's John Noakes........"get down shep" and Valerie Singleton with her "sticky back plastic" aka fablon if I remember correctly....and last but not least Peter Purves.....a great kids program. Talking of such programs I assume you will remember the Friday 5 o clock program....its xxxxxxx jack time :huh: :huh:

To name but one of Crackerjacks presenters Joe.

Through its long run it featured Eamonn Andrews, Max Bygraves,Leslie Crowther, Ed "Stewpot" Stewart, Joe Baker, Jack Douglas, The Balloon Man, Stu Francis, Peter Glaze, Don Maclean, Michael Aspel, Jacqueline Clarke, Rosko, Little and Large, Jan Hunt, The Krankies, Basil Brush, Geoffrey Durham, Bernie Clifton, Rod McLennan and Ronnie Corbett amongst many others. Among the women who appeared as singers/dancers, assisting the host with games, were Julie Dorne-Brown (later MTV VJ "Downtown" Julie Brown); Sally Ann Triplett (who as a member of the duo Bardorepresented the United Kingdom in the Eurovision Song Contest 1982); Leigh Miles (also a popular "Hills Angel" in the Benny Hill show); Jillian Comber and Sara Hollamby (now a television news and travel reporter).

Is that British Queen's Justin... :huh: I have heard my dad speak of those in the past and I think they were very susceptible to blight or were maybe they were a low cropper....I can't recall but an old old variety dad no longer grows for one of those two reasons.

Yes go for it Justin and we can compare notes on Xmas day of the outcome although I suspect we will know how good or bad they have kept the day we lift them :huh:

Is that British Queen's Justin... :huh: I have heard my dad speak of those in the past and I think they were very susceptible to blight or were maybe they were a low cropper....I can't recall but an old old variety dad no longer grows for one of those two reasons.

Yes go for it Justin and we can compare notes on Xmas day of the outcome although I suspect we will know how good or bad they have kept the day we lift them :huh:

Yeah .!! ^-^ British Queens. We also grow them in Ireland,but Irish Queens just dont sound right!!, now does it. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• 4 months later...

Well yesterday I decided time to lift the"new potatoes" for Christmas.

P1000136.jpg

P1000137.jpg

P1000138.jpg

P1000139.jpg

P1000140.jpg

The moment of truth

P1000141.jpg

Disaster frosted but hey ho better to have tried and failed than not tried at all.

I will try again next year but bury deeper and well maybe use a Rose's tin instead of a Celebration's one ;D  ;D

i wonder if it any thing to do with the air in the tin you were using Bill, maybe next year you should surround the spuds with dry sand in the tin to stop them rotting, also they need to breath so to speak as spuds in plastic bags go off quicker. Nice try though . hope you have a nice xmas n its stopped raining

You have to have a bit of air flow to store spuds and to be able to keep them at a fairly constant temperature of between 5 and 8 degrees C and in the dark. As long as you don't get hard frosts theyre best left in the ground, I've been digging spuds in February and they've been perfect but you do have to make sure they're well covered with soil and fairly deep. I find that the best varieties for roast spuds are a hard solid spud such as Desiree, Maris Peer and Maris Piper and for a good roast spud you need to roast them in beef dripping, part boil them first, dry them off and then put in the pan of pre-heated dripping and if you want them to crisp up roast them on the flat side down and draw a dinner fork along the top to 'rough' them up a little. Boiled spuds need to be a 'floury' or softer fleshed type such as Pentland Dell or Pentland Crown. The old varieties are the best.