Beamish Museum County Durham

BC

I don't know if this is the best topic to post in or not but Beamish Mueseum contains landscape and scenery as well as building and also farm implement and transportation item. Any Beamship is a museum in the North East of England it County Durham and is set in 300 acres of land and covers many things relating to the Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian times.

Last week I spent an enjoyable 1and a 1/2 days there and could have spent longer all for the cost of a yearly ticket amounting to £17.50.

Anyway day one and I was in for the opening time of 10am.

P1040559.jpg

P1040560.jpg

P1040561.jpg

P1040562.jpg

From the top of the 1959's leyand engine bus...looking towards the colliery.

P1040563.jpg

In addition to the buses there are also trams running around the sit at approximtely 20 minute intervals.

P1040564.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that looks like a place to visit although I do not fancy the dentist's! I would assume it is rather like Blist Hill, Ironbridge (and a few other places) where they have recreated past times but the trams are something else. Leakey Vale was originally a model railway layout of a (working) tram museum which my husband and I started to build so Beamish seems to be more like Leakey Vale than Leakey Vale is now! Pity the forge is not working unlike the one at Blist Hill

That loo is something else - my friends in Ladykirk have one just like it (but plain) which is in regular use and has a very temperamental flush - Tug it too hard and the valve jumps out! Hugh has a fondness for antique plumbing!

Thanks for the photos, Bill, I can definitely feel a trip is in order. Perhaps a few days stopover and really enjoy it.

I spent a day and a 1/2 Sue but honestly could have spent longer but I have to fit in visits to Peter Hardy and his friend Stephen Kirkup who has the largest collection of model tractors I have ever seen. In addition I had the Chain Bridge Honey farm to visit and last but not least John and Maureen Cranston.

The dentist drill was a tread mill type and only 250 rpm hence why most got teeth extracted and not drilled and filled. It was a regular thing for the well off to send their daughters to the dentist when 21 have their teeth extracted and replaced with false one which included gold or silver as the "plates". When they died the "falsers" would have ben taken back by their daughter and altered to fit them...well that was the story the dentist told...and I never spoil a story by saying it was a lie.

The old bathroom including shower looked good.

Glad you liked the photos Sue....I actually took over 200 so it will be a while before I get them all up on here.

Archived