Beamish Museum County Durham

BC

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Lee...I point and click and what I get is what you see.... ;D ;D I could have actually probably spent another half day no problem but I had over visits planned and I was only away for five days. One of the drivers / conductors was a right chirpy and jovial character ( reminded me of Stan and his mate from the TV comedy On the Buses) anyway he was saying there were plans for a 1950's era so no doubt that will include more tractors and implements. That's the second time I have been and was last there around 2005 and I will be going back again at some point in the future. What made my time there even better was the nice sunny and pleasantly warm weather 8)

It does get bigger everytime, my first visit was about 15 years ago and then there was no farm, no school mainly the town area. I love the excavator i always wonder at it's size every time i go, conjures thoughts of times when heavy industry was less electrics and more heavy metal!!

Its a mighty big excavator Lee...I could walk under it without bumping my head unlike in the drift mine although we did have hard hats ;D ;D The further we went into that mine the more I thought ....will this collapse :huh:

• 2 years later...

My Sister and B.I.L went there as part of the itinerary on a coach trip a few weeks ago, organised by a local classic tractor enthusiast who worked for Vapormatic and then the Old T20 Parts Co and now for Sparex, they said it was, in the words of Ted and Bill. 'most excellent'.

Would really like to visit here.

Well worth a visit.

How did i miss this, fantastic place Bill. :)  Great pictures .

Thanks Mark

My Sister and B.I.L went there as part of the itinerary on a coach trip a few weeks ago, organised by a local classic tractor enthusiast who worked for Vapormatic and then the Old T20 Parts Co and now for Sparex, they said it was, in the words of Ted and Bill. 'most excellent'.

It really is a lovely place Tim and there is a lot to take in there.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post but I thought I'd do a little update after visiting today. The farm has been "modernised" over the last couple of years and is now set in the 1940's, complete with fordsons, fergies and land girls:D They are also in the process of moving a small dales farm from nearby Weardale to the site. Tomorrow is also the start of a month long Great North Festival of Agriculture and I can thoroughly recommend visiting to anyone who has the opportunity :)

WP_20170830_10_51_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20170830_10_53_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20170830_10_48_48_Pro (2).jpg

That's the beauty of Beamish, it is constantly evolving and changing. We probably go about half a dozen times a year as your admission ticket is valid for the whole year, and it is just a nice place to spend some time and soak up the atmosphere of times gone by. The staff and volunteers are all very friendly and knowledgeable about their particular subjects, and it is nice to see the past being preserved in such a way, as without places like this, one day all that will be left will be old photographs and memories :)

Archived