OK, It is not a farm model but ...

agoose

It is a rare mint Autoway set. GBP 285.00

http://tinyurl.com/cg26hww

autoway1.jpg

But, out of curiosity and noting something that was said in the description, what I am wondering is was this set produced for mail order or was it a one off?

I am from the era when autoway came out but never remember this set (I still have the catalogues)

Any info out there ?

Edited by agoose

There is also a rare MF set too. Saw it once in the model section of a vintage tractor magazine.

Think it had the combine, MF tractor, seed drill and mf trailer.

not sure though.

Probably someone here knows it! :-)

Not found in any trade catalogue, I have.

I reckon this to be from 1985, but it is not even in the trade order form, for January, of that year.

The Volvo tractor was first released in yellow with snow plough in the farm range in 1983 as part no. 9590 with black decals as before. Autoway came out in 1984 and the trade catalogues show the Volvo and Deutz with black deals, again as before. The '85 catalogue has the Deutz with red decals and this set comes with a Volvo with red decals. The Volvo was deleted at the end of 1985, replaced by the Valmet.

The Land Rover has a canvas canopy and mirrors on the wings, in 1986 the casting was revised, altered or replaced by one with either a truck cab or hard top, flat front, mirrors on doors and a tailgate or door to rear. This brought about a change in the part no. from 9811 to 9820(truck cab) hard top only available with a trailer of some description.

The dump truck received a very subtle change to the rear mudguards but retained its part number 9810, until it became a a 99xx number in the Road Series.

There was another Autoway boxed set from 1986 as part no.9891. This appears to be just as rare.

It would be intersting to know what the part no. is for this box set, either in the 98xx series or perhaps in the 5xxx series(is it?) as per the value packs.

Where did you get your information regarding 3000 sets Bazzza?

There is also the NH combine set, got me one of those 8)

As always Paul spot on.. April - Sept 1985 3 production runs according to my sources. A very close mate of mine worked for Britains during their heydays.

There are some cracking items in the autoway range that are very underrated in my opinion.

Wasn't their two NH combine sets Paul ? I'm sure Charlie has two ???

Edited by Udimore
  • Like 1

As always Paul spot on.. April - Sept 1985 3 production runs according to my sources. A very close mate of mine worked for Britains during their heydays.

was there some particular reason for the low numbers of these box sets or indeed for their production at all?

I assume the MF set had an even lower production number run

Were they using up models, which were soon to be deleted?

When did Autoway delete?

Edited by agoose

Autoway was deleted end of 1986 and replaced in 1987 by the Road Series. This limped along to the end of 1991 with the loss of quite a few of the original Autoway range and the addition of some new models.

It's a distinct possibility that they were using up models soon to be deleted, although 3000 sets seems a lot of soon to be discontinued models. Ho hum, another to seek out ::)

For a range that lasted longer than what it replaced they do not appear to come up for sale as much. I stand to be corrected in here....

I can't find two combine sets in the trade cats, but that doesn't mean that there aren't two, could be for overseas markets. Would be interesting to see both side by side and the cat. no.

I'm sure that Andy's dad had one or two of those Police sets at Spalding earlier this month.