Classic Tractor - January 2013

• 2 weeks later...

Emailed Stuart Gibbard re brochures today, I don't think he was thankful when I mentioned his 7810 piece and pointed out that more time had passed between him writing Part 2 of the Ford Tractor Story and the present day than between the launch of the 7810 and the book being written!

All in all I reckon Stuart Gibbard has been the best addition to Classic Tractor in a long time. The Ford 7810 story, one about sugar beet and Smithfield show all appealed a lot to me. Good to see the archive pictures, I find them very interesting. The fact that more attention is being given to machinery is good to see as well.

Niels,

I agree, Stuart has been a very good addition to the magazine with his knowledge and archive of old machinery pictures. We would have enlisted him a long time ago if it wasn't for his other magazine obligations with Old Tractor and then Vintage Tractor. The arrangement seems to be working well for both sides now.

Regards

R Day

Just picked up a copy yesterday and scanned through it. Not a great Ford fan myself but no good being at all biased, you have to cater for everyone over time and it's the variety that keeps peoples interest. I've been following the David Brown continuum from Anthony Heath, at least those D.B. enthusiasts reading these articles will learn first hand rather than reading it from those who think they know! I enjoy reading through the magazine every month, so much so that I have, you will be glad to know Rory, number one issue up to date. 141 CT magazines look a fair pile all together and are beginning to bow the shelf a tad! I shall never dispose of any as I do go back through them from time to time as an archive of information, it's surprising when certain questions are asked of me how many past copies come out for reference. In this respect, none of the magazines from the first on to me are 'out of date' they will never be that.

Tim,

Thanks for that. You are a true CT supporter.....I know what 141 issues looks like on the shelf and it's a fair old pile. It's amazing how the magazine has evolved and changed over the years and almost doubled in size. Those early issues from 2001 look a bit basic and dated now, but they seemed OK at the time, given what else was out there, which wasn't much in terms of the number of other titles.

I have often thought, for personal reasons, it would be nice to have my back issues bound into hard=back volumes, perhaps two volumes per year, trouble is the longer I leave it, the more expensive it will become.

R Day

Rory,

Have you ever thought about taking on an intern and getting them to do an index of all the content of the 141 editions so there is a quick reference out there?

Also, can you remind me which edition had the article on the family with the tillage and pig operation that ran a fleet of (14?) New Hollands. I think you should do an article on them at least once a year. Proper job.