Thoughts on the 2013 Britains model range.

An essay by Christian Matthiesen.

"Britains is the best toy brand in the world because of three things: Quality, tradition and culture."

The weather of January 1993 was, in the case of Denmark, characterized by heavy storming coming in from the west. At the same time only a few hundred miles across the North Sea, one of the most celebrated toy companies of the century, Britains Limited, was making preparations to celebrate their 100th anniversary as a producer of hollow casted toy soldiers. But in the case of Britains, a storm was on its way as well.

The British economy had in 1993 been in recession for some years. Britains was struggling to survive in a market with decreasing sales. The year before the factory was moved from Blackhorse Lane, London, to join the Dobson-held Petite factory in Nottingham in order to cut costs. Despite this it was possible to hold a range of models from Ford, Massey Ferguson, Valmet, Fiat, Renault, Fendt, Landini, Lamborghini, Same and Deutz.

Twenty years later a look at the new Britains program unveils the opposite truth. The company is, financially, strong as ever, but the diversity in the model range is gone. This is, in many ways, a natural development. Many manufactures of farming equipment have merged during the past twenty years. On the other hand the regional stronghold of the individual brands has been somewhat leached. In order to hold a share of the German model tractor market it is no longer crucial to produce neither Deutz nor Fendt, though it would be an obvious advantage. In the same way holds John Deere a large market share in the Scandinavian countries, thus can John Deere models be sold here thereby ignoring Valtra’s homecourt advantage.

For the same reason Britains has produced two or three new John Deere models every year for the past half a decade, and a little less New Holland and Case IH models. Massey Ferguson has been granted two (if you ignore their respective versions with loaders) new models for the past ten years, JCB a little more. This is a small disaster. There have been upsides in regard to the diversity as well, though. The 2007 Väderstadt seed drill was a treat. The Simba Solo Train was great too. But in regard to overall brand diversity in the product range, one must wonder: why is it all centered around John Deere and CNH?

In 2014 it will be exactly 25 years since the Dutch importer of Valmet in 1989 had Britains made the famous five different colour variations of the Valmet 805. Why not celebrate these fantastic models by making a new Valtra with a limited edition colour variation run for the Farm Toys Forum?  

• Like 3

This is a fantastic piece of writing and opens up a gateway to a super discussion. I will read it more times and think harf before replying properly but firstly for now, thank you for your input into the brand and into FTF. Regards, Tris.

Hi,As a big collector of Britains farm toys i agree it would be nice to see the Valmets in different colours again.I do not like all this big farm machinery and tractors but this is the way farming is going.Britains in its hey day was a massive company but has been sold a few times over the years.Just shows you how good the ford tractors was in the 80,s as they are bringing them out again in 2013.Must be short of something to produce?

• Like 1

What a very interesting thought provoking piece of writing. I have to agree that it would be great to see a colour range of valmets again from Britains. I know that UH have done so recently but I decided not to purchase them as they didn't have the relevence or connection to the Britains models.

Just out of interest I believe that 500 of each colour 805's were made originally. How many boxed sets of all 5 colours do we think are in existence now?

I am lucky enough to have bought a set a couple of years ago.

Call me a grumpy old man if you like, but as far as I'm concerned Britains Ltd ceased to exist in 1984, when the Britains family sold it.

Okay but there doesn't seem to be any noticeable dropping off of quality at that point...?

Its all a question of Licences, manufacturers and level of detail.

Many of todays models are no longer produced by companies on their own initiative but Farm Machinery manufacturers comission companies of their choice to produce highly detailed model of their new products.

Manufacturers like AGCO, Deutz and now more and more New Holland/Case as well want to see their models with much more detail than Britains have to offer so licences are granted to the competition. I can see this trend to continue as long as there is a strong market for these highly detailed models.

Britains are terrific toys but that is what they are. Big Manufacturers like Case and JD will always want to have some toys available as well, as kids are surly a tarket and marketing strategy for them. Especially JD.

I have a feeling that these points are at least part of the reason the diversity has diminished. 

• Like 1

Okay but there doesn't seem to be any noticeable dropping off of quality at that point...?

Not in the vehicles and agricultural machinery, but there was in the figures, although this decline had been already been happening for a long time under Britains family management, since the 1970s. .

Edited by david_scrivener

@ Tris (#1): Thank you! I am pleased you liked it.

@Stephen (#2): Yes, Britains holds an amazing history. The reason why they have taken up the models from the 1980’s is, in my view, due to market analysis. The segment they are trying to reach with these models are collectors, who themselves remember the Ford TWs of the 1980’s, thus creating a nostalgic aura surrounding them.

@Richo (#3): Universal Hobbies makes fantastic models, which very few companies seem able to match in regard to quality. However, without offending anybody, I think they lack the history and nostalgia (i.e. culture) that the Britains range holds, thereby reducing them to impressingly made models rather than small pieces of history.

I think you are right in estimating the total number of coloured Valmets to be 2500. I guess almost all of the four Dutch colours went to collectors since people of that time ought to have a pretty good clue they would be very expensive in the years to come. Many have probably thrown the boxes away, though.

I think the case for the British colour variation is a little different. It is not obvious, in the same right, that this model sticks out from the normal one, qua leaving the losses a bit higher. Furthermore it is not unusual that some collectors “cheat†and only have 4 Dutch colour variations, leaving the British one alone.

My estimate would be a little less than 2000 pieces left divided onto 5 different models.

I know the British version had a twin, which was made in the same casting with double rear wheels. It came in a box similar to the 5484 Volvo BM Valmet with double rear wheels. Perhaps it was a test run or a flaw in the production. Do you have any thoughts on that?

@David Scrivener (#4): I recognize your point. However, there were not many structural changes to the company in connection with the take-over by Dobson. Dennis Britain, the last member of the Britain-family involved in the company, had already left in 1978 from a position as managing director. Perhaps even more importantly Charles Biggs, head of development, stayed until 1998. In my view Britains had made some fantastic models by 1984, but by that year, the best ones were still to come.

In regard to the figures (if you are talking of the soldiers) 1986 was, in my mind, one of the best years.

@Bob (#5): You ought to, I think, stretch that to January 1998 when production was transferred from England and Charles Biggs stopped as head of development. I can understand why, though. Especially the first models after Charles Biggs had gone (the Renault Cergos, Same Rubin and Case IH 135) are not . . . . very good. But I see Britains a little more the way one would see its one and only: They may do stupid things, they may hurt you, but you still love them.

@Markus (#8): Very good contribution. However, I have to disagree with some of it. Valtra would not lose anything by having Britains making a model along with Universal Hobbies and Siku. Furthermore, they had a long tradition between them lasting from (the Volvo BM) 1980. In my view, but that is only pure speculation, it must have Britains that dropped the connection, as there was no new Valmet/Valtra models being produced (expect the Britains Claas colour) from 1998 until Universal Hobbies came around with the Mezzo 6850. 

a very good topic,nobody can dispute britains rich heritage,and they have recently released some very good models,my point and i have mentioned it before,is consistancy,regarding mirrors and beacons,the 2 latest mf models have no beacons,why? when all the other releases do,and the same with mirrors,some models,jcb loadall being an example have no mirrors fitted,and people cant say its price,or a choking hazard as they are on other models,apart from that,if the right model for me comes from britains/tomy i would buy it,providing the model is complete,there models from the late seventies early eighties were good,and had very little competion,but now uh,schuco, weise, are producing stunning detail,again aimed at a different marketand a different price point,but just because britains are aimed at the toy market that is no excuse for, in my opinion, models  that are not finished,and i would also like to add that this is not on all there models,just a few,hence back to my first point,consistancy,great topic by the way

My thoughts are these, as someone who does not collect new Britains in the same way as I collect old Britains. One collection I buy for is as most know, my Britains of Yesteryear where I try and buy the toys I had as a child long before any notion of worth, value or sentimentality came along. The other is models of machines I have driven or used which ultimately falls to UH, Wiking and cottage industry builders/converters - so not at all linked solely to Britains.

I enjoy collecting the old Britains purely for the reasons I never attached to them as a child, as an adult I have a greater value attached to them from personal memories and great deal of sentimentality. The current  (model catalogue at this moment) range falls short for me as it does not have models of machines I have used. If it did, I would be collecting them for this reason but I am sure the fact that the Britains name was attached would also be pleasing as the Britains collection I would increase, would span my age therefore offering once again more memories of more recent times using the real machines.

Over the past few years the Britains brand as it is now and not a lone company has been tagged onto much larger co-operations with more market clout, more financial backing but yet a very poor view of what Britains as it's own company built up. Releasing these classic model toys does indeed appeal to the collectors market and does give them some degree of competition with those companies whose focus is accuracy and detailed replicas. So a call has been answered there for sure. However, the younger generations who play with these toys or who are more likely too (!!!) are not quite so connected to Ford 7600's or John Deere 3050's. To keep the brand alive, they need to keep children interested and parents buying. So modern machinery does really need to be at the forefront, not classics which I believe could be in a separate 'collectors range'Such children or more likely to want to play with what Dad uses or what the farmer over the field uses and in this case, the range on offer does not cater.

In years past, the range consisted of entire ranges within it. ie Mowers, tedders, balers, sledges. Plough, disc harrows, power harrow, seed drill, rollers. The current range has too many gaps and not enough continuity. I don't expect to see overnight change and all of these gaps filled but maybe signs are coming through? We have had cows for years and now cattle shed, now we do. We wanted a new rear linkage, we got it. We wanted a new 2wd steering front axle, we have it. Somebody is listening when there is a case to be heard but the trouble is, there are a lot of cases to be heard.

Britains/Tomy need the correct staff/researchers in the first place to get processes going quicker, provoke thought and follow up production stages closer.

As for a specific subject like colour variations or a theme to mark the anniversary of Valmet in particular, being imported into Holland.... Nice idea and you have certainly started the discussion early enough for anything to materialise. I would wonder if it could get any further than a discussion but having read your initial post Christian and given it some thought, I think it could. Personally, only the FTF badge would render them of any interest to me as I have never had a connection with Valtra/Valmet/BM and all. As four separate models would come thought, it would not be too much of a risk for Tomy to take it on as those who wanted one would ultimately want all four. Then there is also the casting to be made available for Britains own models, one with a loader, a forestry version and so on.

I guess I am saying I like the idea and for what I know, which is very little. .. I think 'it has legs' as they say.

• Like 3

@Paul (# 11): Thank you. You are absolutely right in regard to the importance of the consistency. A reason for the, sometimes, differing quality and level of detail can perhaps be explained with the fact that Tomy (and RC2 before that), as far as I know, develop 1/32 scale models in both Exeter and the United States, thus having two development departments making consistency a bit harder to achieve.

@Tris (#12): Tris, you are a man with many great thoughts. I agree that it is very important for Britains to have an attractive line for children to play with, since they will be the collectors of tomorrow, and part of Britains’ charm is their egalitarian spirit; that you can walk into a toy shop and buy them. However, they should still aspire to improve the level of detail. But as they proved decades after decades, that is no problem.

In order to go on with the ideas for a Valtra it would be necessary to talk to someone with connections to Britains. How do you think this idea can best proceed?

Thank you, a few moments to think and I can just about write something decent!

I would guess contacting Mr Farmtoys Forum himself, Andy to be the first point. He has a good relationship with the new representatives of Britains here in the UK and they do listen to him and also to us via discussions we have which Andy then takes with him to meetings.

I would like to make a small point.

I can remember when birtsins used to send out forms with there catolouges with 'model request forms' in, this was an exellent idea as britains coulkd draw ideas from there finding sand create new products. They must have listened to my idea as i put down the new John Deere telehandler as they had just been launched. Other people must have had the same idea as they had just been released in real life.

I think britains need to re-introduce this idea to gain information on what the customers want.

• Like 2

A nice and interesting view on an important point. And very valid it is to. I wholeheartedly agree with the OP and many others. However, i think we must not forget that since 1993 the modelling world has changed a great deal altogether.

Back in 1993 it was Britains, Siku and Ertl that produced 99% of the agricultural toy models. These were relatively cheap to buy and, for then, a wide variety of models was available. However, a lot of manufacturers have since joined and some others got taken over or disappeared. It is now a LOT more expensive (I think?) to produce a model. It starts with licenses and I reckon Deere and CNH are two company's that deal with this game a lot and are easy to reach. Many other (small) firms can be a pain. Before a model is actually produced thousands and thousands have already been spend. I also reckon that if you could look at production figures per model they are, today, a LOT lower than in the 90s and before. With so much choice about people stick more to their money and only buy what they really like. Previously you just went with what you could get as there wasn't anything else.

Britains strong point is definitely heritage and I would like to see them looking after this. The new line up for 2013 is yet again focused mainly around Deere and CNH. Probably because they know these models are good sellers and are relatively easy to shift. Economical times are unsure and I reckon that Britains/Tomy wouldn't like to put their money in something that is doubtful to sell reasonably well.

• Like 1

most important of all Britains is not really britains anymore. it is Ertl! and they have very strong connections to JD, Case/NH. In north America Ertl biggest market its those that sell and Massey.

So I do not expect that many opther brands are being done by Britains.I am prertty certain that when they invest money in new tooling that it is imperative to them that they can get thye most for the buck. So the model has to sell in North America and Europe.

With the arrival of UH and other companies Ertl/Britains know thay they are not going to get as much market share as before so it is more imperative than ever that the Market in North America (where UH and the rest have not had such a big impact yet) is satisfied first.

My experience tells me that Valtra, Deutz, Fendt and by example Claas will not sell to well here. Heck AGCO has stopped selling 1:1 Valtras in North America because of this reason .

I own a Valtra and a Fendt on my Dairy Farm but this is more of an exception than a rule even here in Canada. (Canada is much more open to eoropean brands of Tractors than the US)

My 2 cents.

Edited by Anfield Vario

Id think that when a young lad or lass goes in to a toy shop today with there mum or dad they d know what a JD or NH tractor was rather then the old fords ect due to seeing them working on farms today -- Britains today is really just following whats happening in the real farm word - there models are a fit some where between toys & models -- Yet still aford able for both age groups which im afarid some other s are not - Britains models are still a good buy in 2013

Edited by 590mf

I collect the older Britains models because I like them, but many wouldn't last 5 minutes as a toy. And that's the crux of the matter - the toy market is still far more lucrative than the model market (hence I haven't bought myself a new Porsche just yet ;) ), so Britains are doing well to introduce more contemporary models that meet the criteria for child safety (although it'll be interesting to see how my 9 year-old nephew fairs with the flimsy construction of the buildings!)

I would like to make a small point.

I can remember when birtsins used to send out forms with there catolouges with 'model request forms' in, this was an exellent idea as britains coulkd draw ideas from there finding sand create new products. They must have listened to my idea as i put down the new John Deere telehandler as they had just been launched. Other people must have had the same idea as they had just been released in real life.

I think britains need to re-introduce this idea to gain information on what the customers want.

I'm sure Andy has in the past given them lists of ideas for models by forum members when he has his meetings with a britains rep,so they are given ideas from us

I've thought long and hard about this topic. I grew up on a staple diet of Britains, the classic pieces are still central in my childhood memories. I hear people here talk about heritage but I guess for me this is where my respect/desire for Britains changed some time ago. Now there is an element in this of age for me, once you have glanced at a Weise Deutz ( for example) you will look at the Britains model next to it and think, 'oh dear' but that's an age thing and also an indication of where models meet toys.

Aside from this though I find most new Britains  models from the last few years generally poor, lacking the detail, clunky and clumsy, and missing the subtleties and the 'class' of older models. The modern tractors look crude, many implements look simplistic (with a few exceptions) and the range for me lacks general excitement and innnovation. Like Siku and Ertl, Britains now reeks of mass market (probably due to the Ertl/Tomy connections) Now UH also reeks of mass market as they seem confused at time between toys and models, the price says model, the rear hitch etc says toy but we are talking Britains here. If I take a few classic Britains models, MB Trac, the Claas Forager, the Fyson Elevevator, County 1884 and Pottinger trailer- each of these had a real identity, authenticity and most importantly 'playability'.

Sadly now the Britains name means little to me, I used to ponder over the classic Britains catalogues for weeks and weeks, now even that is a corporate example of a company that once had a soul......

I know some won't agree with me, in fact many, but thats just how I feel sorry.

• Like 2

I agree with you Lee, the range does lack excitement. As I said, I do not collect Britains at the moment as my collection theme is only for stuff I have used and to be honest, if Weise or Shuco made a model of a Gleaner combine and so did Britains, the Britains would not catch my eye immediately nor maybe my wallet. Whilst not in my collection I think there was a turning point just a couple of years ago and that was the new Massey they produced. While playful, it brought a new linkage, a proper front weight block (albeit on a dud front linkage) and also the general appearance of proportions, quality of finish and so on. The latest Fords carried this standard along if the gaps in the cab frame can be excepted even if not accepted!! The Kane trailers also reek of appeal and look at the price tag, a prime example of Britains getting it right. If this new found standard can stay with Britains with the upcoming John Deere 3050 range then they'll sit gladly on my shelves. If only for a few new impliments, the ferry tanker in my opinion is a wasted addition what with a field tanker coming too. A good mower should have come first to join the round baler and wrapper just released and the self propelled foragers, Kane trailers and JCB loading shovel with fork. These are perfect examples of the range not having continuity.

Hi,Here goes with this topic.As i young child i grew up with Britains farm models and i worked on a farm and i wanted to collect  the farm models.On the farm we had Massey Fergusons and Fords.So i bought Britains models at the time that represented these tractors.Also we use to bale hay with a new holland 377 baler and bale sledge,cut the grass with a drum mower,rake the grass up with a tedder and use a fyson elevator to put the bales in to the barn.Britains in its 70,s 80,s hey day made a very lot of models that represented real farm models of that era.As kids this is all we had to play with was farm models,but also we had to look after them as if we broke them we would not get anymore so in my eyes you can play with the older models if you respected them.I must admit though that we did shoot the odd tractor driver with the air rifle off the wall!!!!.As farming as changed so have the real tractors and farm machinery so the manufactories have had to follow this trend.Also a lot of children nowadays dont know about Britains farm models or they are interested in facebook or computers.Even when i was 15 and 16 i still liked my farm collection and played with it.If kids of this age played with the models now they would get laughed at or called baby names.This is my view ? As we are in a so called bad times,it seems to be all about making money and models very quick but sometimes not good models.And changing companys and countries from one to another does not help.I will still collect the newer models but not a big fan!         Hope This Helps On This Topic And Nothing Personal To Anybody Or Company.Only My View.

Edited by stevestoys
  • Like 1

Good post Stephen (I admit i was not always kind to my models as a child either, I remember trying to make a Britains land Rover look like it was in a crash with a hammer- didnt work out so well :of )

Tris you make great points. I want to love Britains and some of the current models, Kane trailers/Keenan spreader and the recent Ford are good but for each of these there has been what I would call the lazy, clunky Fastrac, that Massey with the fixed front weight block, the green grain cart and Case Magnum 430 been examples. there is an element of rose tinted-ness in my view for sure but a flick through an old Britains catalogue from say the mid 90's provides such a richer range and true heritage.

@Tris (#14): Thank you, I will contact him within the next couple of days.

@Will (#15): That is a very good idea. I have totally forgot about this feature, but that is an excellent way to stay in touch with the customers.

@Niels (#16): Your point in regard to increasing competition is very good. If you look at the total number of models in 1/32 scale being produced in 1993 and 2013, it has increased with many hundreds per cent. In that light it can be understandable that Britains (and ERTL) seeks the largest producers of farming equipment. However, TOMY’s business strategy aims at being the largest toy company in the world by 2015[1]. In order to do so it will be necessary to take certain risks in regard to product development. A strengthened position in the Scandinavian market could help Tomy achieve this, and a new Britains Valtra model would definitely help, as Valtra is one the most sold tractor brands in all of the Scandinavian countries.

@Markus (#17): That is a very good point. In the first years after 1997 it seemed, due to the fact that most North American collectors of farm toys had little interest in the 1/32 scale line, that ERTL would focus on the 1/64 and the 1/16 scale models and let the 1/32 scale line be made with focus on European brands (Same Rubin 150, Hürlimann and Renault Cergos). This seemed to change from around 2000 until 2005. Since then, it has almost exclusively been John Deere and CNH. You also make a very good point in regard to the difficulties the European brands face towards the American market, hence making models of them impossible to sell there. However, it is my hope that Britains would try to make one model, hopefully a Valtra, of a European brand among the six or seven new tractors they make every year. Perhaps it would sell well in Europe, hence making the North American sales less important, perhaps not. But then they at least would have tried, and let us not forget that Europe is a large market for model tractors.

@590mf (#18): Britains models are still a fantastic buy! It is evident that John Deere and CNH hold (together with AGCO) hold the largest part of the worldwide tractor market. However, that does not necessarily mean that Britains’ production range should be held exclusively for these models. I am not pleading for Britains to change their whole market strategy, neither for them to go back to making models for ten different brands. But I do find it sad, that they make four or five different John Deere models each year, while there has not been a new Valtra, Deutz or Fendt in more than ten years.

@LadyFerguson (#19): Britains has always, regardless of the era of time, made models that very robust (Fordson Major, Claas tipping trailer, many of the Land Rover models) and some that were less (the 8 furrow Kverneland plough being one of the best examples). In my view, that has never changed. However, I fully agree that Britains should not forget their contemporary line in order for aspiring collectors, such as your nephew, to feel attached to some particular contemporary models, and hopefully start a collection of their own some day.