Scratch built hydraulic rams

catkom3

Question

This is an idea I've had in my head for a long time now but never thought it could work,untill I had a wee talk with John  (jdc) last weekend,when I re-thought how it could be done,now trying to explain these things only makes it worse,I used imperial sizes because that's what my model shop stocks,but I'll use metric sizes to make explanation easier,basically if you use 1ml 3ml and 5ml aluminium tube as the main ram tubes and 2ml and 4ml for the inner and outer stoppers it's fairly straight forward,fiddly but not to difficult,obviously lengths and diameters are up to the individual depending on whatever you choose to make,I used 40ml lengths just to see if it would work with 2ml long collar on the outside of the first length of 1ml tube and a 2ml long collar on the inside of the next tube,the photo's should explain better,

Ram7_zpsab7c2ef0.jpg

Scratchhydraulicrams005_zpsf73021f9.jpg

Ram2_zpsfa0f8760.jpg

These are new four stage rams i am now makeing for an on going project,

Ram5_zpscc0bc803.jpg

Ram6_zps8989e8f1.jpg

Regards

Joe.

9 answers to this question

Cheers Paul,I had the idea a while ago,but just could not "see" in my mind how to do it,then like I said having the crack with John an idea came into my head and the job was sorted,watch John's future posts,he said he was borrowing my idea, ;) ;)

Regards

Joe.

They do look excellent when complete, Joe. Such a clever idea.

I'm not proud, I'll pinch anyone's ideas when they're so much better than mine! ;D ;D

John,if I can create something that makes your creations even better,then I'm one very happy chappy, :) :) ;) ;)

Regards

Joe.

will they hold a weight ok in the up position do you think joe?? so far i have stuck to the mini pick up tools cut down, as they will stay up on the loaders and trailers no worrys, but theres  few rams i may need to do that are smaller than the smallest i use right now

will they hold a weight ok in the up position do you think joe?? so far i have stuck to the mini pick up tools cut down, as they will stay up on the loaders and trailers no worrys, but theres  few rams i may need to do that are smaller than the smallest i use right now

Ah cheers Sean,forgot to mention on the first rams I made the tubes were a bit slack in the bores,so I stripped them down and gave them a very light misting of clear varnish,then dried over night on the radiator and re-fitted them next day,still a wee bit loose,so another light misting / drying,and that did the trick,so technically Sean you can engineer how tight your ram's are,mind that was on the imperial sizes,the metric ones may be slightly different,

Regards

Joe.

Archived