GVRS Rally Oldmeldrum Sunday 4th August 2013

BC

I have just entered my 1941 Farmall A for the 49th rally at Oldmeldrum online...what a boost I wish more clubs would take entries that way. I'm sure I have been at this rally every year since 1982 or 1983 when my Nuffield was first restored. Not a huge rally with only around 275 exhibits but one of the most friendly run ones there is. They do not charge the exhibitor for entering nor do they charge the public to view. Despite this they still provide the exhibitors with a meal ticket and you can get a plate of stovies and mince or tatties etc plus a drink. I really admire how the committee are dedicated to the hobby and run the show as they do.

http://www.gvrs.net/home.htm

• 1 month later...

Today I cleaned the plugs of my 1941 Farmall A and after a few cranks she fired into life. Loaded her up and went to mums at Kemnay as a half way house to take up tatties and cut the grass etc. I only polished the brass bits and covered them with tin foil in case of damp overnight. I didn't bother to polish the tin work as that will be a job I can do at the rally tomorrow.

P1050230_zps63c9252e.jpg

P1050231_zps108570f8.jpg

Today I was at the 49th show and the weather was great..the food was good and the crack was excellent. I came away home with a second prize in the pre 1950 class and well was happy to think my Farmall A could still get a placing 26 years after being restored...the winner in the class was a newly restored 1949 Ferguson TEA 20 and well good to see a new chap on the vintage scene and he bought and restored his tractor in memory or his late grand father 8)

Some photos to follow but still loading on to PB

Well done on the 2nd place victory Bill :) When you enjoy the hobby it's the taking part that brings the enjoyment..... but it always seems to be a little pat on the back when you come away with a placing...... Well done and looking forward to seeing the photo's :)

There were quite a few folk could not believe my tractor had been restored for 26 years Paul but it gave me a buzz thinking me and my late dad must have done "a nae bad job on her" more than a 1/4 a century ago 8)

The photos in order they were taken from yesterday.

Bert Calder from Tarves with his Grner KX150 engine which was used in an crane working in the oil industry.

P1050232_zps01e97441.jpg

Ford 4000 from Robert Watt the chairman's son

P1050233_zpsc29daa07.jpg

And his Fordson Major

P1050234_zpsda345d46.jpg

Me myself I the oldest tractor in my collection

P1050235_zps232c70a0.jpg

One of the many grey menaces at the show ;D  ;D

P1050236_zps3c08b800.jpg

1969 MF135

P1050237_zpsa2a9346f.jpg

P1050281_zpsd27495a3.jpg

P1050282_zps7f85efea.jpg

The winner of Tractor Challenge Shield ( Up to 1950) went to Gary Norrie from Ellon with his newly restored 1949 Ferguson TEA 20 which he bought and restored in memory of his late grandfather. I'm not a Ferguson fan but I know that seat cushion isnt right or is the colour of the exhaust but good to see a new winner of the shield.

In addition he won the Bob Linsay trophy for the Best Grey Ferguson Tractor.

P1050283_zpscff5651b.jpg

P1050284_zpsb630bd57.jpg

P1050285_zps93e7ad73.jpg

P1050287_zpscefe00cc.jpg

Well that's it from the Meldrum rally for 2013....roll on 2014 their 50th Anniversary

Yes Justin that N Reg Ford 4000 was a well turned out example but sadly in my opinion it was not a winner in the Tractor class 1951 to 1988. The winner of that class went to yet another grey menace...many something to do with the fact the two judges were members of the Ferguson Club :huh: ...but hey ho it taking part and not winning that counts.

Last night I was a bit tired when I got home and since I had the day off to get my recently acquired second car MOT I decided to cover my tractor up just in case of overnight rain and offload today.

Thankfully the 14 year old Corsa passed and only need a set of front wiper blades...mind you it had only done 379 since its test a year ago.

P1050288_zps70f06554.jpg

P1050289_zps6e129ecc.jpg

P1050290_zps2904d1a1.jpg

P1050291_zps57b262a2.jpg

Thanks for sharing the photo's Bill, as Justin said, some nice turned out exhibits and the way you said the show was run, no fees but a free meal ticket for the exhibitors.... makes the event sound like a large friendly get together :) Liking that Marshall 802.... lovely sounding tractor with the turbo whistling and looks to be in a well kept condition too

26 year old restoration..... you and your dad must have done it right back then Bill,..... and you've also mastered the art of keeping a restored tractor, It still looks well after all those years :)  

Its a great little show with around 280 exhibits including cars and motor bikes. They had a few disasters this year but it all came together on the day. Their supplier of the catering tent and tables and chairs had a fire in his yard and all was lost but they managed to borrow two tents from the local scouts. Then a week before the show their caterer for the past few years let them down due to a double booking and or setting up a pernament place, however they pulled in another caterer to do refreshments and bacon and egg and black pudding rolls. In addition the chairmans wife twisted the arms up the back of the ladies of the Britich Legion to come along and prepare a salad lunch for the exhibitors. It was a fine lunch Paul and I really admire how they run this show for the exhibtor and yet they still manage to donate to charity...this year being one of the Brest Cancer Charities.I have been attending this show since as far back as 1982 and have exhibited my Nuffield, MG2 and Farmall A and Farmall Cubs over the years. For the 50th show I'm thinking of roading my Nuffield accross with MG behind and maybe making a weekend of it in Oldmeldrum.

That be a great weekend for you Bill, you'd just need to hope for half decent weather or you might end up a bit damp on your Nuffield. Its great when a show can be held for people to enjoy what they do and to be able to do a bit of good toward a charity somewhere.

Sounds as though the organisers flicked a two finger salute to adversity to rally the troops to make for a great show!

Thanks for sharing the photo's Bill, as Justin said, some nice turned out exhibits and the way you said the show was run, no fees but a free meal ticket for the exhibitors.... makes the event sound like a large friendly get together :) Liking that Marshall 802.... lovely sounding tractor with the turbo whistling and looks to be in a well kept condition too

26 year old restoration..... you and your dad must have done it right back then Bill,..... and you've also mastered the art of keeping a restored tractor, It still looks well after all those years :)  

I think the individual insulated sheds and the fact they are not covered up but kept in darkness helps Paul :huh:

That be a great weekend for you Bill, you'd just need to hope for half decent weather or you might end up a bit damp on your Nuffield. Its great when a show can be held for people to enjoy what they do and to be able to do a bit of good toward a charity somewhere.

Sounds as though the organisers flicked a two finger salute to adversity to rally the troops to make for a great show!

The Chairman and his wife and two sons are a great team and really make this show happen.

Archived