Has anyone here been watching this? If so, what did you think of it?

On tonight, 27/6, on Quest (freeview channel 38), 22.00 > 22.30 & 22.30 > 23.00

Its a 'reality show' about an American vintage toy dealer. Being American, lots of sci-fi, superhero & similar toys as might be expected. I take at least a passing interest in types of toy collecting other than those I collect.

It would, of course be better if there was a British equivalent, more like another Quest show, Salvage Hunter with Drew Pritchard (which I'm watching right now).

been watching the last couple of episodes, would be a lot better if it was farm & construction models featured in the show, rather than old action figures and robots etc, don't know if americans are big farm model collectors or not, im sure if they are big collectors a few might pop up on the show

I've been watching as well. Quite interesting to see what our US cousins are into, mostly sci-fi, super hero stuff and transformers seem to be the stuff of dreams. I'm just waiting with baited breath for the tractor collector to feature.

Same here, it is a nice show, so far no model tractors, trucks and construction stuff, i have visited a few huge farmtoy collectors in the US, but i am affraid that this toy hunter guy is not going that direction but could be wrong.

His speciality seems to be in the promotional and TV related toys dating from the early 1960's to the late 80's. We here in the UK, or those I knew as a child, were never really into transformer toys and any TV related toys were generally Corgi Toys 007, Avengers and The Professionals, Star Wars were very popular but the American TV toys never really reached us I don't think and by the time they did we were too old then to buy them. I was more of a Blue Peter child and made my own 'toys', those were the days, I remember the very first Blue Peter, 1959.

His speciality seems to be in the promotional and TV related toys dating from the early 1960's to the late 80's. We here in the UK, or those I knew as a child, were never really into transformer toys and any TV related toys were generally Corgi Toys 007, Avengers and The Professionals, Star Wars were very popular but the American TV toys never really reached us I don't think and by the time they did we were too old then to buy them. I was more of a Blue Peter child and made my own 'toys', those were the days, I remember the very first Blue Peter, 1959.

Me too! Both statements.  I was making toys well before Blue Peter and could have given them some ideas.  Being brought up in the period called "austerity" bought toys were a luxury but it is amazing what could be done with small containers, matchboxes and conkers! 

I haven't watched the programme but I did see a trailer and it did not get me enthusiastic over watching it.  however, if you go around the toyfairs you will see lots of Star Wars, transformers and other film/tv related toys so there is a market here in the UK too

I haven't watched the show but seeing the advert made me think the same thing I thing when watching other similar shows such as Salvage Hunters which is 'if you think you can get that much for that then you deserve a medal'. Having been brought up in a buying and selling environment I watch the show and think 'well the only reason you've got that item for less is because you've bored the poor seller to death, if you had some real haggling skills you could have had that for half what you paid'. Then they go and boast that they can get twice what they paid for the item when really you'll struggle to sell the item for £10/$10 more than what you paid. That's just my thoughts but I'm sure some people will argue otherwise

I haven't watched the show but seeing the advert made me think the same thing I thing when watching other similar shows such as Salvage Hunters which is 'if you think you can get that much for that then you deserve a medal'. Having been brought up in a buying and selling environment I watch the show and think 'well the only reason you've got that item for less is because you've bored the poor seller to death, if you had some real haggling skills you could have had that for half what you paid'. Then they go and boast that they can get twice what they paid for the item when really you'll struggle to sell the item for £10/$10 more than what you paid. That's just my thoughts but I'm sure some people will argue otherwise

At a recent local antiques fair I said to some dealers with industrial lamps, "I hope you're not charging Drew Pritchard's prices for those?" They all laughed, and replied, "We wish....." or something similar.

And talking of make your own toys in the Blue Peter style, I remember in 1961 they did a model zoo over a few weeks. In week one, they started with the entire range of Britains plastic zoo animals, and a sheet of ply as the base, where they marked out their initial plan of enclosures. In week two, they said they'd realised they didn't have space for all of them, so chucked half of the animals, and continued to make a smaller number of bigger enclosures in the following weeks.

In the same year Birds Eye Fish Fingers did a promotion based on the same idea, which my granny bought for me (2 packs of Britains animals). I still have the animals and at least part of the instruction leaflet of how to make zoo cages/enclosures in the Blue Peter style. Scans below.

post-2225-0-40482600-1372591203_thumb.jp post-2225-0-73434000-1372591242_thumb.jp

So everyone will be busy now David printing off the plans and making their own zoo. I can supply the animals, but not for 4 shillings ;)  I've got 3 4ltr ice cream tubs full of Britain's zoo animals, enough to fill an ark!

Reminds me of the diver and the submarine that came in Kellogs corn flakes packs back in the very early 1960's, you filled them up with bicarb (baking soda) and dropped them in the fish tank and they sank to the bottom, as soon as the bicarb got wet it started to fizz and the diver and the sub would then rise to the top again. Educational toys, combining play with science and learning something useful, those were the days!

Archived