Some Cattle Conversions

Great work on all these Kieran but what exactly is the process. Are these restoration jobs of old lead cows of the breed your making eg. Just restoring a shorthorn or is it a repaint of a standard cow eg. Painting a Friesian into a short horn? I'm not very upto date on lead animals.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great work on all these Kieran but what exactly is the process. Are these restoration jobs of old lead cows of the breed your making eg. Just restoring a shorthorn or is it a repaint of a standard cow eg. Painting a Friesian into a short horn? I'm not very upto date on lead animals.

Thanks, Hi the longhorn is an old Friesian lead cow that I have removed the old paint off. Cut of the old small horns, make new longer horns drill holes in the side of head and fix the new ones in. Then the paint job starts, an undercoat a couple of base layers and then start to paint the more details colours mixing and trying to match as best I can.

The shorthorn s are plastic britains Friesians that I remodeled and reprainted to match the shorthorns as best possible also.

Very nice Kieran. Was wandering what do you use to strip the paint of the lead figures? And what do you use to remodel them out of interest?

I use nitromors and the steel brush on my dremel to clean the old paint off. Then remodel any parts with newclay and squadron green putty.

I use nitromors and the steel brush on my dremel to clean the old paint off. Then remodel any parts with newclay and squadron green putty.

Just finished the Longhorn Bull and Calf to complete the set. Few wee touch ups to finish but nearly there.

post-2998-0-69931700-1398538935_thumb.jppost-2998-0-57200000-1398538975_thumb.jp

Now to finish the shorthorn calf.

I think it is really clever how you do this, you've certainly inspired me, but what, may I ask gave you the idea to convert cattle? 

Its a great Idea, it must of taken a while for you to get it right.

I got the idea from idea from seeing other people making some conversations so I thought I would give it a go myself. Takes quite a bit if time to get it right through trail and error. Still learning to be honest and I am at it a couple of years.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Britains - Map of the World, First Version. This first version does not have the nestles milk world cow on its flanks. I have only ever seen one of these for sale before on the vectis auction site which made £340 but was in slightly better condition. Very very rare indeed. post-2998-0-06081400-1412370880_thumb.jppost-2998-0-22576700-1412370902_thumb.jp

I found an example of the Britains Nestle' World cow at a toy fair in Exeter about 4 years ago, it was on one of the stalls where the stallholder is generally quite expensive but luckily enough for me he did not recognise it being other than just a lead cow, I think I paid £4 for it. Mine has the Nestlé's Milk on one side of it and The World's Cow wording on the other side.

There were several colourway versions of this cow, black on white, brown on white, ginger brown on white, (Channel Island cow colour) and grey on white.

Parks l.ooking good .

post-806-0-35658100-1412409853_thumb.jpg

post-806-0-43139600-1412409869_thumb.jpg

Are you sure they're Ayrshire Kieran? At the time these were made they could be representing the Dairy Shorthorn cattle. ;) Nice find though regardless of the breed and quite unusual the bull having horns upswept.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived