Alex's Antics

Oakley Farms

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its to throw the lorries out the way of the overhanging roof on the machinery shed , we have the tall curtainsiders in and they have swiped the roof out before. We operate a one way system because of the amout of traffic we get in the yard and they way out is past the shed and up the ramp.

that's a very impressive pit Alex, and a fine pair of machines on it, the whole thing looks so neat and tidy. And top notch kit too, is the big x new? Ill be interested to hear reports on it because ive heard Krone are producing a very good product and probably the biggest threat to the main players in the SPFH market.

that's a very impressive pit Alex, and a fine pair of machines on it, the whole thing looks so neat and tidy. And top notch kit too, is the big x new? Ill be interested to hear reports on it because ive heard Krone are producing a very good product and probably the biggest threat to the main players in the SPFH market.

Krone have been around since 2003? now so already well established in the SPFH market. Especially the high HP range.

Are they chopping winter wheat to clean up some dirty crops Alex or was this intentionally grown for the AD? Does seem like lovely stuff to pack on the clamp.

Thank you Brian, the pit was a last minute thing believe it or not, it was a chicken litter bund for storage before hauling off to customers but with the energy company and plant still under construction the silage pits weren't ready so we expanded the bund to twice the size, leveled it and spread chalk on the surface, not something we are that proud of i have to say! The big x is going well, it's a year old ex hire machine, extra knives in for chopping fine what AD requires, this is absorbing a lot of power, but like any machine you could always do with that little bit more! A 800 would suit us i think but i wouldn't be surprised in a year or two once the plant is fully operational and gas is flowing we see a Fendt Katana here and new trailers, mowers and a rake. At the moment its all still in its infancy until we get a firmer footing. We have so far been cutting neighbouring farms dirty crops which has helped us up our required feedstocks but today we moved onto intentionally grown hybrid rye and the end of the week into spring triticale

Im getting very interested now in this AD set up.. From what ive worked out so far it is a very long term investment and a huge outlay and then the feeding of it is a huge commitment and takes some very careful planning, I have also came to the conclusion that it would provide local farmers and landowners with an option of growing crops and selling to AD plant owners? If this is so its fantastic to see another option for farmers who constantly face the decision of what to grow and will there be a market for it when it does grow and will it be at a realistic price, but ive also came to the conclusion that dairy farmers for one example who rent land and depend on it will now see a rise in conacre costs or maybe even availability of it at all... There is a long standing cereal grower about an hour from me who now grows a lot of maize instead of cereals on his land and it goes to feed an AD plant and he says its something he never thought he,d see himself doing, growing crops to burn. But at the end of the day if he,s coming out the same or maybe even better off then it definitely makes sense to go down that road. The investment to go along with the plant I also see as massive as there so much machinery involved in growing and harvesting the crop that probably is much more cost effective than getting in contractors and I guess rightfully so you,s have opted to take the plunge and buy your own equipment from day 1.  I also guess that the fact you,s already have a good reliable tractor fleet has encouraged your decision as to start with nothing with probably be impossible... Fair played to you,s for taking the plunge, I wish you,s every success with it all.

Thank you Brian, i couldn't agree more with your comments. We never thought we would go down this road but it couldn't of come at a better time for us with giving up geowing potatoes which was our bread and butter work and with prices as they are at the monent the ad is looking very promising even though we don't agree totally with it and its a sad situation that energy pays more than food production and has left us with little else option, its refreshing to spreak to someone positive about it for a change!

Alex,can you see that new ad plant from the main train line to london mate? Saw cranes and so e work on the way up earlier in the year, out in the middle of no where in somerset,

No afraid not Sean, but we are right beside the A303 and it can be seen on the Ilminster bypass section

Not growing potatoes anymore! What you going to do with the harvester now?

imIts been for sale since Febuary, as is all the potato kit, grader has gone, planter, front tank, barrel washer all gone, harvester, triple toppers, x2 george moate tiller stars and a quantity of boxes left

imIts been for sale since Febuary, as is all the potato kit, grader has gone, planter, front tank, barrel washer all gone, harvester, triple toppers, x2 george moate tiller stars and a quantity of boxes left

When you had open farm Sunday I did think you'd done a good job of hiding the spud boxes

I will keep an eye out on the way to toytrac mate, wonder who doing one near the rail line then??? you could see one tank top for sure, hence the question, probably 5 or 10  mins after the split where the line to Bristol is, on the left as you go London direction

Not entirely sure on that one, will have to find out though. Today however i had a guided tour around Wyke Farms AD plant for research on a future project with Dan. I have to say what a fantastic trip, fantastic place and people, very informative and interesting. post-2769-0-12199000-1437255488_thumb.jp post-2769-0-09768200-1437255556_thumb.jp post-2769-0-63328200-1437255598_thumb.jp post-2769-0-00171300-1437255623_thumb.jp

Im very sorry to hear you,s are moving out of potatoes Alex, from what I gathered they were part of your business for a long time and you,s had top class gear to get them in and out productively, among the best gear in the business to be fair, and were good quality growers from what you told me about your outlets being pleased and once before asking you,s to continue growing for them.. But the sad truth is that you,s were quick to recognise a non paying crop requiring too expensive of equipment to grow and got out rather than flogging a dead horse as they say. Some growers round here have been chasing a good year for over a decade and just about getting out every year, when it doesn't pay the novelty has to wear off, in my eyes you,s are running a huge operation and cant afford to be wasting time and money on a non profitable crop and its clear to see you,s have already made plans for the future and it will take a while to leave the spud memories behind, I never forgot my spud days and loved the whole operation, but theres one thing you,s can do and that is to walk away with your heads held high and know that you,s done your best to grow good quality potatoes and were geared up in every way to do so but faced with bad prices made the right decision. A potato farmer is like a gambler, taking a risk on his crop every year and holding his breath nearing harvest time to the market prices are released, this price will very much be determined by what happens in other countries and this risk has existed from the 70s and will always be present for the grower. Contract growing as you know means signing up at the planting time and then you hold your breath that you have made the right decision and you may discover that the neighbour who hasn't signed anything ends up getting £30 a ton more than you. The AD plant will keep you,s busy and itll be an all new learning curve and if you,s run it like your potato operation then itll be as smooth as a runway

I will keep an eye out on the way to toytrac mate, wonder who doing one near the rail line then??? you could see one tank top for sure, hence the question, probably 5 or 10  mins after the split where the line to Bristol is, on the left as you go London direction

Where are you when you can see the tank top on the train or road wyke farms are at Shepton mallet not far from the bath and west show ground

Im very sorry to hear you,s are moving out of potatoes Alex, from what I gathered they were part of your business for a long time and you,s had top class gear to get them in and out productively, among the best gear in the business to be fair, and were good quality growers from what you told me about your outlets being pleased and once before asking you,s to continue growing for them.. But the sad truth is that you,s were quick to recognise a non paying crop requiring too expensive of equipment to grow and got out rather than flogging a dead horse as they say. Some growers round here have been chasing a good year for over a decade and just about getting out every year, when it doesn't pay the novelty has to wear off, in my eyes you,s are running a huge operation and cant afford to be wasting time and money on a non profitable crop and its clear to see you,s have already made plans for the future and it will take a while to leave the spud memories behind, I never forgot my spud days and loved the whole operation, but theres one thing you,s can do and that is to walk away with your heads held high and know that you,s done your best to grow good quality potatoes and were geared up in every way to do so but faced with bad prices made the right decision. A potato farmer is like a gambler, taking a risk on his crop every year and holding his breath nearing harvest time to the market prices are released, this price will very much be determined by what happens in other countries and this risk has existed from the 70s and will always be present for the grower. Contract growing as you know means signing up at the planting time and then you hold your breath that you have made the right decision and you may discover that the neighbour who hasn't signed anything ends up getting £30 a ton more than you. The AD plant will keep you,s busy and itll be an all new learning curve and if you,s run it like your potato operation then itll be as smooth as a runway

Thank you for the kind words Brian. It was an extremely hard decision to pull out of potatoes, a business that has been built up over 20+ years and wasn't taken lightly. A fair operation including all the kit for planting and harvesting, all the trailers all goes without saying but then there is the grader, 2 forklifts, 4,000+ boxes, 5 coldstores, weigh bridge and a grower group set up. It was a sad day and each and every one of all the staff miss the spud job everyday, it was our bread and butter so to speak. But like you say there comes a time when you simply cannot keep going purely for enjoyment with £30/t offered and the cost of production nearing £130/t with £10 grading on top, £40/t for cold storage and the transport costs over to the east times that by 4-5000t you do the maths it's shocking. A final nail in the coffin was a local buyer only committing to 100t on contract. There is no security in 4 lorry loads! The AD plant couldn't of come at a better time although it will be a challenge and is being met with local one track visioned opinions but proof in the pudding is now we are turning land owners away as stocks are full for 2016 which really says something!

Archived