Restoring a LWB Land Rover...

malcy_p

Evening all!

An impulse buy from e-bay last week was an old LWB Britains LR - the one with the opening bonnet and the funky steer-by-spare-wheel feature!  8)

I have one of these as a boy 40-odd years ago so had a nibble on a listing and won! Really happy for the money - all door, window frames and glazing in place, steering/suspension works a treat, front bumper in tact. I have ordered a set of mirrors and a canopy from Mr Towse but here is my question...

Where can I get hold of replacement indicators and side lights?? If replacements are not available, any ideas as to alternatives?  :)

Any ideas gratefully accepted! :)

/malc.

post-1591-0-61243500-1419030675_thumb.jp

Need to know what version you have, early or late? Is suspension by a longitudinal(early) or coil(late) spring on the back?

Yours looks to be a late one with one piece screen glazing, so blind holes for the indicators/side lights. Would look good with a tilt as a farm vehicle

Buy a cheap scrap one of the right type

Looking good Malc, will you respray it green or have you another colour in mind?

Hi Mark - thanks although I think I'll leave her as she is - nice and original with a patina of age.

Oh, and I had one of these as a boy but I'd completely forgotten the joy to be have from 'driving' one, pushing, pulling and steering by the spare wheel. :D

/m.

I think that the military Land Rover was different from the others of the period, this one is a Series 2 whereas all the others were Series 3. The latter had decal side and head lights and indicators, the former, as this one should, had plastic 'insert' side, head and indicators that were fitted from behind the body 'panels. You could possibly make a mould out of something like plaster and using a drill to make two holes the right diameter and depth and mix up a little Araldite clear epoxy type glue, drip it into your mould and let set, you can then, for the indicators and rear brake lights use some orange and red bulb paint/varnish  'painted' on. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the military Land Rover was different from the others of the period, this one is a Series 2 whereas all the others were Series 3. The latter had decal side and head lights and indicators, the former, as this one should, had plastic 'insert' side, head and indicators that were fitted from behind the body 'panels. You could possibly make a mould out of something like plaster and using a drill to make two holes the right diameter and depth and mix up a little Araldite clear epoxy type glue, drip it into your mould and let set, you can then, for the indicators and rear brake lights use some orange and red bulb paint/varnish  'painted' on. Just a thought.

All the long wheel base ones were series 2 with lights inside wings, it was the swb that went series 3

Archived