Manor Farm and agricultural contracting service

Plenty to look at ponder down at smarts new hq , Mite have us thinking of taking a new green machine on demo for a couple of days , keep in smarts good books !! Very impressive line up of jcbs down there with the new loading shovel taking my eye , especially with around 2300 acres of 1st cut silage to push in the pits and the possible new arrival of the krone 1100 self propelled being lined up for this season . Good job the cheque book was left behind !!!! but a cracking evening and many conversations went on into the late evening . Get spending Stew !!!!!!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bust few days seen us finish planting potatoes at last. Today me and Julian had a meeting with coombe farm to discuss the contract to take on their work doing slurry handling silage harvesting and baling and wrapping and wholecrop harvesting and all other work so we got our work cut out for the next 5years with the contract renewel automatically rollling on after the 5th year. With maize planting starting will see us helping alex and Julian out with 2000acres to plant we shall be very busy parrow harrowing with them. Also with nitrogen levels falling we will be on silaging within the next week at our own farm so the boys are getting all the kit out and ready to go for Tuesday hopefully. Ive been pricing up for some new kit so watch this space as I could be using my cheque book if the deals get done. The new coombe farm contract consists of a group of farms which are hill dairy,broadstone,eastlease,Marshwood farm,thong dairy at Barrington,childhay organic farm and manor farm at hillfield. Hill dairy broadstone and eastlease being coombe farms all the others are independent farms supplying milk to coombe farm however there are othe farms around Sherborne which are in discussion with coombe farm to who does their field work so we could end up with more but only time will tell but for now we have more than enough to be coping with between me and Julian from orchard farm.

Yes definitely Alex. Coombe farm like the idea of two contracting teams working together providing an excellent all round service with reliability as a key strength and both teams providing experienced dedicated drivers. Other key points that they likes were the wide variety of tasks undertaken and a modern up to date fleet of tractors and machinery using gps for precise money saving work. Another point of interest to coombe farm was the fact not only is it just manor farm and orchard farm but its also Oakley farm in the group which can provide crop analysis and support to help maintain healthier cleaner organic crops on a better money and time saving scale. Previous contractor didn't have the backup knowledge and experience like what the 3 of us can provide.

Hectic day for us as we got 300 acres of silaging booked in 200acres for me and 100 for hill dairy due to workload ive called In Julian to help us tomorrow he bringing a tractor and silage trailer and also his tractor and triple mowers hopefully will have it all cut and clamped In a good time before we hit into maize planting.the lads have got the silage kit ready so mowing will start at 9am and then the rest of the gang will start at 12o clock let the dew set off lets hope for a good day. Hopefully julians new mowers will run smoothly too ready for the season ahead.

post-1815-0-11921900-1429557634_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-47020000-1429557669_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-78587100-1429557701_thumb.jp

Kiss goodbye to early nights Julian this coming year is going to be busy for us all what with new clients on board and both our own customers to do we got some work to do. Looking forward to our teams working together and looking forward to working with both you and alex. On another side i best get my farm tidied up ready for a visit from alex at oakleys on Thursday afternoon best make sure its up to his standards

First cut silage started well the two mowers set off at 9am and have only 80acres left to Mow tomorrow over at hill dairy meanwhile the foragers been going well keeping the trailer boys busy nice heap coming on in the pit already. Our new bailey 16tonne trailer seems to be bedding in nicely on behind our fendt 939 while all our trailers are doing well so far even julians kit is going well been out watching his mowers which for the first day out are going very well and coping with the crop of grass nicely. Good day tomorrow will have all the grass picked up and sheeted down in good time for both me and hill dairy. Nice job done by all the team involved hoping for another smooth day tomorrow but for now its on into the night to try pick up as much as possible hoping to shut down at about 10:30pm catch last orders in the pub to celebrate first day on the silage with the team

post-1815-0-54737800-1429649970_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-60336600-1429650011_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-97118100-1429650040_thumb.jp

Good two days on the silage now all finished with a big help from Julian at orchard farms only one puncture on my older bailey trailer so not bad really. Just got to finish sheeting down then its possibly off power harrowing with Julian and Alex start the maize. Pics to follow later today

Interesting day today boys been getting silage kit ready for next lot of first cut silage. Zac and Kerry been slurry spreading on silage ground we just harvested. This afternoon saw Alex from Oakley farm pay us a visit for a much needed catch up after a guided tour and many cups of tea and biscuits and long discussions a few changes will be made to my machinery line up as we are always keen on saving money when and where we can. Over the next few months I will be making changes in order to move the business forward so watch this space.meanwhile Alan went over to help Julian with powerharrowing with 200acres at Hinton park and 100acres at Stockbridge will keep the team busy for few hours hopefully the rain will stay off enabling them to keep going

• 2 weeks later...

With a busy week last week we managed to get some first cut silage in and sheeted Down also I been busy helping alex at Oakleys power harrowing for maize and also Jon boy has been spreading some slurry on our silage ground. With work up together I got away to abbey hill steam ralley to see all the vintage tractors on show but now back to work and more maize preparation work planned with Julian and alex this week. Our slew has got a big digging job on clearing a site for a new farm building so heading out to take it to Langport ready. More customers been on the phone for silaging so when the weather turns dry we will be flat out with getting that done.

post-1815-0-56172000-1430823655_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-09678000-1430823704_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-44325800-1430823742_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-89659400-1430823778_thumb.jp

With us doing alot of spraying we needed to purchase a bigger water tank so Alex from Oakleys found us a tank that came off one of Pattemores transport milk tankers the lorry had been involved in a small accident so was written off and we managed to buy the tank off the back so late last week saw us install It into place and get it plumbed into the water supply.

post-1815-0-55794400-1430824121_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-32367800-1430824149_thumb.jp

I hate driving dirty tractors yeah they get dirty wen working but keeping them clean and tidy is something I make the drivers keep up on. Each night they come back to the yard they wash off and diesel up and grease up ready for next day that way we can leave on time in the morning without any delays plus my drivers like their tractors to be clean and tidy

An eventfull day having a phone call from Jon boy saying he has sunk his puma and joskin tanker in a slight wet spot so Kerry took his 939 to pull him out but due to the wetness of the ground shane took his 7430 and attached to the front of the 939 giving that extra bit of pulling power eventually after 30minutes and a few tugs the boys managed to pull him out next job is to dig a hole and see why there is a wet spot in that area of the field lets hope its only a small water pipe leaking

post-1815-0-56288400-1430858165_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-07699500-1430858193_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-31557100-1430858221_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-99380200-1430858254_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-29625700-1430858279_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-70568500-1430858309_thumb.jp

Thanks Alex as we all know not everyday is a smooth day we all get problems. Poor Jon boys getting some stick but its good banter ha ha! nothing was bent or broke so all good

Archived