Manor Farm and agricultural contracting service

Manor farm is a 1400 acre arable and beef farm with a contracting service based in somerset,

we farm 1400 acres ranging from growing wheat, spring barley, fodder beet, potatoes and grass for feeding the beef herd.

we currently run a busy contracting service with a fleet of 9 tractors which are pictured below which range from 1x fendt 939 to a case puma 230 to a small fleet of john deeres ranging from 2x 6210r 1x 7430 1x8360r we also run two massey fergusons 1x 7499 and 1x 7626 which is on row crop wheels.

we also run a caterpillar challenger MT765D but this tractor is only used for our own arable field work.

we employ 6 full time drivers for the contracting side and we employ 1 full time arable farm worker/manager, 1x workshop mechanic and 1x office staff with a back up of 6 self employed drivers for the busy periods.

we offer a wide variety of services,

grass and maize harvesting with claas jaguar 960 forager

ploughing cultivating and seed drilling

fertiliser spreading

crop spraying

hedge timming

manure spreading and slurry spreading

grass baling and round bale wrapping

straw baling round and square bales.

As well as running our arable and beef unit and contracting services we also work closely with Alex at Oakley farm and Julian at orchard farm and orchard contractors so theres plenty going on all year round.

post-1815-0-63024700-1425844159_thumb.jp

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been a busy week with contracting this week. Kerry our head tractor driver has been out with his fendt 939 and joskin tanker and injector spreading slurry for few customers while ive brought back our slew for some well earned servicing ready to go to shafestbury for doing some drianage work.our case puma driver Jon boy been out spreading some dung heaps on our stubble grounds ready for ploughing next week while back in the workshop our cat challenger is having a service ready for busy period ahead and also zac has been servicing his jd6210r ready for the season as he be doing chain harrowing and rolling grass grounds. Plans for new staff car park are finalised and will start next week so will be bringing back our jcb3cx to do the work with.just need some better weather so we can start with our own field work so watch this space more pics and updates to come next week. Hopefully if all goes well our beef cattle will go out in the fields as we now have planning permission for a new 4 bay beef shed to replace the old one and allow more room for more animals so lots of building work will start happening soon.

post-1815-0-12236700-1426288183_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-84069800-1426288219_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-96226000-1426288249_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-33867500-1426288301_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Been very busy since last update. Kerry has been drilling spring barley at a rate of 197kg per hectare while Alan has been fertilising the wheat with 46% granular urea at a rate of 120kg per hectare. Ive been busy with updating the tractor fleet ive traded in our 8360r for a brand new fendt 724 which I will have as my tractor also decided to bring our fendt 818 back on to the contracting fleet which has been on hire to a customer while he had his main tractor fixed. Our caterpillar challenger has been under surveillance so watch this space whether it stays or goes. Jon boy been ploughing with his puma after finishing spreading all dung heaps. Zac has been busy chain harrowing and flat rolling grass grounds. Plans to let the cows out to the fields are under way for this coming week so that work can start on dismantling the beef shed to make way for the new building this summer. Staff have also been on first aid course keep them up to date on health and safety. Other staff have been hauling slurry for days in front of the plough so both tankers been busy. With a visit from Julian from orchard farms we had a discussion on tractors and machinery so some positive comments made us open our eyes a bit so things will change slowly but for the best. As weather improves so the workload increases so all looking good for few weeks to come. Pictures due shortly.

Busy two weeks on manor farm ive hired a jcb 3cx to do some road repairs and also going to lay our new staff car park too with it. Kerry has been out with the 939 drilling with the lemken powerharrow drill combo while Alan has been to Blandford helping a friend of his drilling with his cat challenger and Kuhn drill so he has finally arrived back to help Kerry catch up and finish the drilling season. Ive taken delivery of my new 724 fendt so decided to take it out ploughing up some maize ground which went very well indeed much impressed with the performance and how comfortable it is to drive so hopefully it will perform really well throughout the season fingers crossed. Zac has been on holiday so while he was off things were bit busy but before silaging I'm hoping all staff will get a holiday ready for the busy season ahead. Our mechanic has been replacing a worn out bearing on our horsch joker hoping it will be fixed and back out asap to keep the drills going. All fodder beet has been sold and delivers to customers so now waiting for our new bunker to arrive and get built ready for next seasons fodder beet. Ive also been looking into fitting led sprayer nozzle lights onto our sprayer for those late night jobs so hoping to get some advice about them. No thee great excitement as yet but never know what's around the corner.

post-1815-0-12365300-1427569782_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-89173700-1427569819_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-76285200-1427569850_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-79500200-1427569890_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-50554600-1427569931_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-29081800-1427569968_thumb.jp

I run a fendt 939 and a cat challenger so I had three big tractors only really need two so hence the smaller tractor its still man enough for all the kit I run.

The lads have been busy last few days spreading dung and slurry over at martock and with the two drills catching up nicely ive been in the office speaking with Alex from oakleys and have agreed on sharing my Kuhn varimaster 6furrow plough and also my 6metre lemken powerharrow drill combo so if we get a wet spell then Alex can carry on drilling and he can use our plough too as we always have plenty other jobs to do to keep us busy. Meanwhile ive ordered a new bunker for storing fodder beet in which is being supplied by Alex from Oakleys so I've got to clear the area and put new floor in ready for wen it arrives. Our staff are hoping for time off over Easter so hopefully if all goes well then I will be able to do the staff car park while its empty ready for their return on Tuesday. Upcomming events one of which is smarts john Deere dealership open evening so hoping to go with both Alex from Oakley and Julian from orchard farm for evening out and chance to see what's new and on offer and talk business with the lads. Recent staff change has seen my cousin colin leaving me to go work back in Wiltshire while a good mate shane joins us with much experience so he will be in a jd 6210r which is the newer one of the two so hoping he enjoys his new tractor and hope he settles in nicely. Our older of the 6210r is still being looked at in smarts workshop due to loosing power so we've got our old fendt 818 back to keep us moving hoping smarts can solve the issues quickly.

Thought id give u all an update on my fleet of tractors and their drivers. Kerry who drives the fendt 939 has not had any faults with his tractor even Alan has had a smooth season in his cat challenger. Jon boy has had few minor issues with his pto switch in his case puma but pleased with the performance of it while john has been enjoying his Massey 7499 with only a suspension error due to not having a software update its been a solid tractor to us. Zac has taken over the older 6210r which not going well due to power failure so he is in our old fendt 818 which never gave us any great hassle wen we had it so if the 6210r ddoesnt perform well zac has said to keep our old fendt till next season then update it for newer fendt also our newer jd 6210r has so far been good as gold to us with 800hours on the clock so far so good and well so far my new 724 has been running like a well oiled machine. Thinking ahead our challenger is staying with us long term and so fingers crossed all tractors will give us a hassle free season but who knows what might happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Been really busy few weeks on both the farm and the contracting sides ive been busy ploughing ready for maize drilling with my fendt 724 which is going very well indeed. The lads have hit into potato planting sadly our planter broke so we borrowed one from orchard farm for a day to finish a field off ground conditions are good so hopefully will carry on planting for few more days on the contracting side shane has been out with the 7430 and joskin tanker emptying our neighbours slurry pit while Kerry has been getting the jeantil spreader ready for spreading some dung heaps on some maize grounds before ploughing. Ive been surfing the internet looking to buy another hedge trimmer and after looking at a few ive brought a mcconnel power arm 50 for a good price so wen the next season arrives we can safely cut all hedges with both trimmers in a sensible time period. With our new staff car park finished the staff are happy and it smartens up the area for wen visitors arrive. Alan has been busy spraying but due to a leaking pipe its back to the workshop for a repair and a check on all other pipes. Our jd6210r is finally back from smarts after a couple sensors were playing up so with new sensors its hopefully going to run smoothly and will be put on power harrowing behind the plough. Over the Easter weekend we saw the new fodder beet bunker arrive and built with many thanks to alex from Oakleys for supplying it but the lads have already filled it with machinery so its in good use for now.

post-1815-0-73926600-1428860980_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-58329900-1428861025_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-86209600-1428861059_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-21314400-1428861102_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-21675500-1428861127_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-16856100-1428861155_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-19367100-1428861196_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-39745500-1428861239_thumb.jp

A quiet Sunday and an early phone call led me to head over to Oakley farm and collect my new farm sign from Alex who has done an excellent job on the sign so I've spent couple hours putting the new sign up and also ive decided to make up a decal for the new fendt 724 advertising manor contracting so to keep up the new contracting name each tractor will get its own manor contracting decal

post-1815-0-40771800-1428866357_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-85560000-1428866388_thumb.jp

post-1815-0-36473600-1428866417_thumb.jp

A good evening out with Julian from orchard farms at smarts open day gave us the chance to see what's new on the machinery side. A couple items took both our fancy but the price tags surely didn't. A nice line up of new tractors but one stood out alot being the big 8370r but was a little big for our roads and also too big for any of our work that we do but probably rather expensive tractor. Sadly Alex from oakleys couldn't join us due to certain circumstances between him and smarts but was kept in the loop with wat was said and discussed between me and Julian. Back to work tomorrow with the lads on planting potatoes im off to do some ploughing for Alex at wigborough manor got 100 acres to do for him that will keep me busy for couple days.

Archived