Payment by cheque !!

bluegreen

Nearly everytime I put a conversion on Ebay the same guy messages me asking if he can pay by cheque, I always decline..............I prefer paypal for speed and simplicity but this chap only want to use cheques.   So is it even possible to receive payment by cheques without  ebay complications arising?    The guys name is Alan Hawk.......anyone heard of him or done business with him?

I have sold to him in the past, and yes, he always pays by cheque and he always pays promptly, once I replied that i would accept cheques he ended up buying 4 of the 10 models I had listed that week, cheque arrived in 3 days.

I guess the only downside is having to pay the cheque in, and then waiting for it to clear before sending the goods.

Without using Paypal you are not covered in case of failed postage or other problems but, you also don't pay their fees so you get more actual cash for the transaction

Yes I have had him ask on two of my conversions I have sold on eBay but always decline as you say I specify paypal only. Although i have just sold my 70 years edition 3cx and the winner was from Jersey which it states in my postage section that I post to the United Kingdom, but I got a quote from DPD and sent it to him and he got charged £20 import tax aswell as postage and what he won it for. I know it's off topic but what I mean is it's down to your discretion whether to accept or not As I did, but robbo says you don't have to pay the fees if you get a cheque but surely the Delivery company which ever you use would insure your parcel whether it's through ebay or not so if there was an issue you could claim it back?

I changed the listing to allow for cheque payment and Mr Hawk has put a bid in for my Fendt 939 convo.....................I have asked him in the past why he still uses cheques, and the inference was that he didn't like or trust new electronic payment technology:-....................fair enough.

11 hours ago, MadMark said:

I had someone ask me the same question a few weeks ago and they would only pay by cheque because they had their paypal account hacked and don't trust it anymore. 

On this issue about insurance on what you post, it's upto you to make sure the item your sending is insured enough just in case something goes wrong, e.g. you sell an item for £50 and send it by royal mail second class signed for if something goes wrong your only insured for £20 and you would have to make up the difference. So when posting ask what insurance you have on the item and make sure you have the right cover or it could end up with you out of pocket.

Yes as the guy that bought my 3cx won't it for £250 so that's what I insured it for And put a deceleration on the box too. As it turned out anything over £240 had import tax put on it which I didn't know about but I certainly wasn't going to insure it for any less, like you say mark I could've lost out on a lot of money else. 

Archived