Best way to photograph models??? Camera settings?

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how best to photograph models? Might sound like a silly question but I need to go through my collection and I want to get pictures from a few angels of each model. But lots are boxed, so reflections are a nightmare, I don't have time to put take photos in the sunshine. I've set up a white floor, background and sides and put 2 desk lamps on shining in but I cant see to get it right, does anyone use any specific settings on their camera??

I'm no expert by any means but I use a tripod and timer setting on camera. This helps to eliminate hand shake. You don't have to use flash for pictures, this is where a tripod and timer are handy as exposure times may be longer., especially in low(er) light conditions. Experiment as well with the different automatic settings on your camera to see what works for you.  I try and use a setting that brings everything in to focus, as sometimes the furthest part of a model may be a bit blurred, again tripod and timer are used. The great thing with digital cameras is that unwanted pictures can be deleted. I hope this is of some help.

Thanks Paul, I've bought a tripod but the timer suggestion makes perfect sense. I'll try that definitely, thank you. I've tried nearly every setting I have and narrowed it down to 2. The problem is the big difference between boxed models, models inside display cases (like MFM) and loose models. All need slightly different attention.

The pictures are of a MFM Case without the flash (but lit with lamps), and then using a lighting type setting (cant remember what its called sorry), with the lighter setting you get all the detail but it makes the tractor a little pink.

P1050644.JPG

P1050649.JPG

1 hour ago, Keef921 said:

My photos always came out a bit off colour until I changed my lamps to daylight lamps.

Yeah, daylight bulbs are great! I added them to my attic layout and couldn't believe how good they were. 

daylight/cool white bulbs help no end, i did find when picturing my boxed stuff it helped taking the pic from. slight angle, not dead on with the reflection/flsah side of it, other options a light box maybe i know click clack,( walterderwent aka tractor twitcher on faceslap aka david) was playing round with one of those and pic settings for his collection recently, maybe he can help,when he sees this topic ??

I completely forgot about using daylight, the best light source of all in my humble opinion. I don't use a light box just some white paper(A4) that is curved up behind where model is situated, preferably covering all areas that end up in the final picture, this works okay for me with plenty of reflected light.  As you can see flash gives interesting results, probably because it is directional. What sort of camera are you using, a compact or SLR type? The later works okay for me using only the built in settings with out getting all technical and setting it up manually, that's all a bit beyond me as not a techno geek :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

daylight/cool white bulbs help no end, i did find when picturing my boxed stuff it helped taking the pic from. slight angle, not dead on with the reflection/flsah side of it, other options a light box maybe i know click clack,( walterderwent aka tractor twitcher on faceslap aka david) was playing round with one of those and pic settings for his collection recently, maybe he can help,when he sees this topic ??

Thanks Sean, I made up a 3 sided box and covered it all with a white sheet, so it was like a stage, but I need to mess about with the angles. David (tractor twitcher) is hopefully down with us on Wednesday so I'll pick his brains

34 minutes ago, super6 said:

I completely forgot about using daylight, the best light source of all in my humble opinion. I don't use a light box just some white paper(A4) that is curved up behind where model is situated, preferably covering all areas that end up in the final picture, this works okay for me with plenty of reflected light.  As you can see flash gives interesting results, probably because it is directional. What sort of camera are you using, a compact or SLR type? The later works okay for me using only the built in settings with out getting all technical and setting it up manually, that's all a bit beyond me as not a techno geek :rolleyes:

I've got a little Panasonic lumix, it's supposed to be very good?? I'm no expert with the settings that's the problem. 

I did find some strange settings that made the tractor sparkle, one that made it metalic and one with a fuzzy border ???

I'm no expert either, it's all about experimentation for me and trying to remember the next time! I have one of those, lots of settings on SCN mode, although I've never used them.............. to much choice :- They do give some tips when selecting different modes. The lack of paper instructions doesn't help matters. I normally use an old Canon EOS 400 SLR.

6 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

I have the lumix tz30 , got to say it's a cracking camera , just put it on the AI setting ,top dial , and it does everything for you , that's why I bought mine, second to we have had 

Hi Sean, 

This ones a tz 35 so I'm guessing the same ish? Do you mean iA setting? As in the pictures.

cheers 

IMG_1112.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

yeah thats it, dam letters:-[ have taken some great pics with it on hoidays, just point and press,it does all the light settings , focus and ,well everything, we had a tz15 first up,and thats as good,just less in the zoom options and megs settings pics wise  , only upgraded as i did the step daughters wedding pics , and we had nothing but great reviews of them,inc from the photographer she paid to do the uk party ones,as we ran a slide show via a projector for the people who didnt get to cyprus. he was highly impressed at it for a pocket camera  . had a play with some of the other ones on the dial,like toy etc and its pretty simple to use and again good pics night shots are good to. 

in IA there is nothing you have to do, its that easy 

• 2 months later...

I do a fair bit of photography, i use a Nikon DSLR camera. If you're into it I would recommend shooting RAW image files if your camera can do this, and then process the image in Adobe Lightroom (I know this might be a little to much for most people). That's what I do though, but it's kind of a big passion for me as well, this way you can get much much more out of your photos. I haven't gotten around to really photograph my collection yet, but when I do I will make a thread here!

But in general, like many already have said - Light is crucial to get the details and color. I would however recommend manual settings, just play around. The general tip, as you already have a tripod: 

- Use a wide aperture (F-stop) this will let more light onto the sensor. It will also reduce the depth of field to focus attention the subject (in this case the tractor), the background will, as a result, be kind of blurry - But that's just a nice effect in my opinion.

- Try to keep ISO as low as possible, a higher ISO makes it easier to get photos in dark areas - But will often compromise the detail and result in grainy photos (unless you have a mirrorless DSLR).

- Long exposure, if the images comes out too dark then use a longer exposure. Be careful with long exposures if there's too much light though.

That being said, I'm not familiar with the camera settings on your camera - But these are just general tips :) 

I have attached a shot I took a few years back, not an amazing photo, but I still like it - And a photo I took of my model in a hurry at easter for a competition from Marge Models (Not well focused or composed, but allright) :) 

17661778_651440358377736_197088126287269 

DSC_3437.jpg

Archived