Modelling references

Fang

Question

What do people use for basing their models on?

I'm sure everyone can't get to a real life example of what they're modelling all the time, so what do people use?  Brochures and photos off the net are obvious ones?  Is it then a case of making it look right, starting off with known dimensions to work from, rather than getting every dimension to be correct as per the prototype?

2 answers to this question

40 minutes ago, Fang said:

What do people use for basing their models on?

I'm sure everyone can't get to a real life example of what they're modelling all the time, so what do people use?  Brochures and photos off the net are obvious ones?  Is it then a case of making it look right, starting off with known dimensions to work from, rather than getting every dimension to be correct as per the prototype?

All the above.

:D

If i can't get to measure the real thing then i try to get a brochure or spec sheet that lists the dimensions, essentially wheelbase, height and width. Then it's a case of finding good side-on and front and back photos, again either from brochures or the internet to work out your dimensions for the model.Try to avoid photographs taken on an angle, as the measurements will be distorted by perspective.

I tend to still work in inches for the real thing and as the majority of what i make is older gear their brochure measurements are usually in feet and inches anyway!. I use the wheelbase and height as my starting point and convert these measurements to 1:32 scale in mm by multiplying the real measurement( in inches!) by 0.78. I then draw these points out on graph paper and build up the drawing from there.

To get the correct measurements from a photograph, i measure its wheelbase and height, as these are my known figures for the model, and then divide that figure by the actual 1:32 scale dimensions that i have already worked out, and this will give you a number. You then use this number to convert all your photograph measurements back to 1:32 scale. Obviously, you need to repeat the process for every different photograph you use as the size will vary from picture to picture. I also use a protractor to get the correct angles for cab pillars, body panels etc.

As i am collecting the measurements i draw the plans out on graph paper to the actual size of the finished model. I find this helps to visualise how it will look and also it helps you to pick up on any mistakes you might have made before you cut any plastic. I also find that it acts as a good template for checking your parts as you are cutting them.

No doubt the chaps that use CAD programs will find this an archaic method of working, but i am hopeless on a computer, and anyway all this maths and technical drawing helps keep the grey matter working!;)

Hope this all makes sense, I do find that it works well for me as long as i can get decent photographs!

Archived