JOHN DEERE 4955 Sidestack version

Ive been meaning to do this convo ever since I saw some photos by David Franciosy of a yellow top 4955 doing some baler work in Lincs.   As has recently been pointed out it was a tractor belonging to David Leech and he had it on display last year or so at JDs 50th year celebration.

Fairly straight forward mods,  cab removed and roof sprayed yellow after priming.  4955 Decals replaced with nicer versions,  1993 "L" Reg plate...…………….Rear wheels taken from Schuco 7710,  Narrower Rear tyres taken from CASE Puma 240  (650/ 75/ R38s)…………………..some mods required under rear fender to keep tyres free from snagging.   Wanted to change fronts but just too much hassle, effectively need to swap whole front axle from 7710 to 4955 and modify prop shaft so too expensive!!     And anyway big Deeres frequently have skinny fronts with 650 wide rears especially if used for in furrow ploughing.

Ive added a rear tow hitch which needs a little more painting once glue has dried,  a driver and I will add a beacon when I have one available.

P1070287.JPG

P1070282.JPG

P1070283.JPG

P1070285.JPG

I think JD could have done the yellow top a bit more often,  maybe on their combines again as they don't have enough yellow on them imo…………………...The Forage Harvesters have a lot of yellow parts and look all the better for it I think.

One final point,   the John Deere steps entry to SG2 cab on these side stack models...………………...has anyone else made a classier design than JD did for these tractors?   No I didn't think so, they are superb aren't they:)

P1070284.JPG

I drove a end of line back end of 1993 3350 with wide step and had digital dash in a lighter upholstry colour that was an L reg tractor 

Also had a K reg 2850 digital dash light upholstery with passenger seat as a loader tractor 

9 hours ago, chris.watson said:

Nice model Phil. I have a feeling the “big step” cab entry was available on all the later 50 series tractors. I have seen a 3350 with it on, but I guess it could have been added by an owner.

Yes that's correct, the latter 50 series models did have the "wide step" option,  mind you they were no where near as impressive as the ones on the 47/ 4955 models.

• 1 month later...

Archived