First cut

Pingu

This is the only guy that does silage anywere near me it involved a 30 mile bike ride to see him but here are some pics

He cuts with a MF 6180 and JD moco (no pics), then a MF 3085 with claas liner rake, then a MF 2645 on claas rollant 46 roto cut and last but no means least a MF 6140 on a McHale 991 BC

post-132-132638529661_thumb.jpg

post-132-132638529672_thumb.jpg

nice pics there, MF fan.

Amazing what effect the sunshine has, as well.

by chance I noticed on thursday night the first signs of sutting near me

and tonight they were at it !

post-256-132638529965_thumb.jpg

post-256-132638529969_thumb.jpg

ooops ... for sutting, read cutting !

Sods law that the Class broke down in the far corner of the field and I didn't hang about 'cos I was already late home from work !

post-256-132638529973_thumb.jpg

Nice photo's lads. Nice to see an old MF ar work Phil, I was down your way Thursday morning - had Keyline in Reading. On the way back between j12 and j11 there was someone rowing up hay. Early by a month at least but it looked like nice stuff. Sure it was an MF 4000 series of somekind.

Nice photo's lads. Nice to see an old MF ar work Phil, I was down your way Thursday morning - had Keyline in Reading. On the way back between j12 and j11 there was someone rowing up hay. Early by a month at least but it looked like nice stuff. Sure it was an MF 4000 series of somekind.

Was it a slpoed bonnet ???

Question: I see on the pictures here in the forum that the most off grass will only cut and then it will be raked but not turned by a tedder. Why not turned 1 or 2 times is the question. The grass will be to wett for silage. Over here we turner the grass 1 or 2 times then you have a good quality grass and the cows will pay it back in more milk.

Texas

Question: I see on the pictures here in the forum that the most off grass will only cut and then it will be raked but not turned by a tedder. Why not turned 1 or 2 times is the question. The grass will be to wett for silage. Over here we turner the grass 1 or 2 times then you have a good quality grass and the cows will pay it back in more milk.

Texas

I put it down to farmers being too tight and stuck in there ways texas. I run a Kuhn 7601 tedder and trying to get work in front of a chopper is impossible. Farmers think a tedder is for drying grass and thats that, but a tedder also breaks up the waxy layers of the grass, releasing the sugars and in turn making better feed, try telling them that though. Most farmers think a mower conditioner is good enough to do a tedders job, little do they know  :o :o :-\ ::)

I put it down to farmers being too tight and stuck in there ways texas. I run a Kuhn 7601 tedder and trying to get work in front of a chopper is impossible. Farmers think a tedder is for drying grass and thats that, but a tedder also breaks up the waxy layers of the grass, releasing the sugars and in turn making better feed, try telling them that though. Most farmers think a mower conditioner is good enough to do a tedders job, little do they know  :o :o :-\ ::)

Turning is a good job for the grass quality. The momer conditioner is only for that the grass is faster dry and we cann't control the weather. But a conditioner take out some sugars so the grass , so it is not better for the quality. but also when you use a conditioner you have to turn 1 or 2 times. I hope NCC you can persuade the farmers in your area and have alot off work with turning , very nice job to do.

Texas

well, you learn something every day !

I'm looking forward to the grass on the airfield being cut & baled - the outfit involved (using 5 or 6 JD's) do spend time turning it a couple of times.

Turning is a good job for the grass quality. The momer conditioner is only for that the grass is faster dry and we cann't control the weather. But a conditioner take out some sugars so the grass , so it is not better for the quality. but also when you use a conditioner you have to turn 1 or 2 times. I hope NCC you can persuade the farmers in your area and have alot off work with turning , very nice job to do.

Texas

I get quite alot of work for haylage and hay so no silage work isn't all that bad. I've given up explaining the benefits of tedding out silage to farmers they just don't want to know let alone pay a wee ?4 an acre for it. There loss, not mine :D :D :D::) ::)