The peculiar world of 3D printing. Printers and CAD in a world of Craft Knifes and Pencils.

Stabliofarmer

Question

I might as well start the topic I've spoken about in the purchases topic. If admin want to do the fancy thing where they move posts to different threads then I think what was discussed in the purchases topic would make a nice start to this one. 

Anyhow, in the mean time... 

Printer 

IMG_20211002_131925.thumb.jpg.445d26d1fc0bdbaca3ad02fd048879ef.jpg

Printing

IMG_20211005_201909.thumb.jpg.7cc219b6dae78946e380b9e8557cdbf2.jpg

IMG_20211005_201926.thumb.jpg.37cfcacded27e209d565d28bf16874ca.jpg

Printed wheels

IMG_20211005_212320.thumb.jpg.a19bc19734212eea16f6df87a7ef5cb1.jpg

Edited by Stabliofarmer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, catkom3 said:

I've thought about mould boards but never tried it yet, getting the curves right will be tricky and none of the .stl hosting sites have anything close that could be used as an example of how it could be done.

Regards

Joe.

way to thin as well i suspect,well for a filament printer, shapes not easy to do either, had a a quick go, but i have a plan, just got to source something to try it.

oh dear i ended up 5 furrow 😆😆😆😆 did a test print last night of the arms and they came out way better than i thought, also did a frame, again, its ok,both need tiding up with some sand paper, but nothing major ,  so i added the headstock to it now, will have a print of the full kit on the weekend see how it all comes out, i certainly wasnt planning on doing this one just yet plenty of other bits to do ,but i do need a plough now i have the other tillage stuff.😆😆😆😆

C0593623-30F7-44E4-B442-2462C4B48D46.jpeg

F037294B-8FF6-433F-8F4C-06E9CB3C0ACA.png

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

That looks very smart Sean, getting some great detail through now

yeah it is starting to show stuff, have tried using prusa as my slicer, and it does give you more settings, and another level of print, best before was .1mm per layer as high quallity , prusa has given me a .08mm per layer, hence the extra details . doesnt seem to take any longer either. that said maybe a resin printer could appear this year 🤫🤫🤫

• Like 1

Theres never a day goes by but what someone comes up with some new process or other, This spiral effect might look like a cheap gimmick but apparently useing specific filaments these prints can be used as artificial muscles, which I guess could be really useful in certain medical situations,

Regards

Joe.

It's a miserable day out, so thought I'd take a few snaps of stuff I've recently sketched up and printed, 'specially since I've discovered how to " pause at specific layer" a really handy feature for highlighting bolt heads on wheel etc and even creating realistic two coloured traffic cone, I used the same technique on the drop down trailer side useing wood effect and red filament,

Regards

Joe.

3D 1.JPG

3D 2.JPG

3D 3.JPG

3D 4.JPG

3D 5.JPG

Edited by James Joe Dewar
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Whilst still a staunch advocate of craft knife modelling (not that I seem to do any these days) I'm still blown away at just what printers can do every now and then!

IMG20230923132952.thumb.jpg.6d749fe178c3e7770b1355a9974e9e5a.jpg

That is very nice, fantastic detail, I could only dream of such intricate detail on my FDM printer, i've never really thought much about getting a resin print as even you mentioned the hassle of washing cureing and the inevitable resin on the LCD screen and haveing to buy Isopropyl alcohol, But there is a tiny resin printer still in crowdfunding that just might interest me 'specially if it remains under $100  It would be real handy on the project I'm working on right now.

https://www.lite3dp.com/

Regards

Joe.

I use mine a lot Sean, A few months ago my electric pepper mill stopped working, So i looked on Thingyverse and found a printable one, made entirely from 3D printed plastic, It actually works better than the electric one, And I still use it most days, ??

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2511131

Regards

Joe.

11 hours ago, James Joe Dewar said:

That is very nice, fantastic detail, I could only dream of such intricate detail on my FDM printer, i've never really thought much about getting a resin print as even you mentioned the hassle of washing cureing and the inevitable resin on the LCD screen and haveing to buy Isopropyl alcohol, But there is a tiny resin printer still in crowdfunding that just might interest me 'specially if it remains under $100  It would be real handy on the project I'm working on right now.

https://www.lite3dp.com/

Regards

Joe.

Worth noting that I'm now using water washable resin, used the Elegoo and Jayo branded stuff both to great effect. No more faffing with alcohol and wash stations. I just rinse under the hot water tap, even the most delicate parts will then fall off their sprues and chuck them straight under the UV light. Real game changer!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stabliofarmer said:

Worth noting that I'm now using water washable resin, used the Elegoo and Jayo branded stuff both to great effect. No more faffing with alcohol and wash stations. I just rinse under the hot water tap, even the most delicate parts will then fall off their sprues and chuck them straight under the UV light. Real game changer!

That's good to know James, I wasn't aware of the soluble resins, a game changer as you say.

Regards

Joe. 

• Like 1

well i have just found out i am going to have to learn another printer . seems the wife was watching me looking at the creality black friday sale stuff, and noticed i looked at a particular item, turns out today that shes ordered it for my xmas present, an 8k halo mage resin printer bundle, inc the resin and curing/wash station ,all at less than the printer solo before the sale. going to be interesting i suspect . apparently its filtered so hardly any fumes ??  

• Like 4

my ipa finally arrived and print no1 is now under way,9 hour print  of a rear harrow .time will tell, been looking at speed settings ect and to be honest, even on basic factory settings, at .005mm per layer its still quicker than the filament one ,and with the trailers i get main  body and chassis in one print, but thats print no2 ,lets see how this one goes .

just a little one, 12 cm wide there abouts, 2-3 deep, i am printing on factory setting,speed wise , just want to get used to it, plus there supports on it,as it prints at an angle, isnt a huge amount of resin going by the slicer,30 ml, but its on a detailed layer setting, once i get the hang i can adjust exposure setting and speed lift setting , which makes it quicker. its weird mind, hardly any noise, no obvious light, for the life of me i cant figure out how its actually working making the print, theres 4980 odd layers on it last time i looked it was on 400