Irritator set-up

Gav836

Had to help set up our irrigator today which actually decided to work properly first time for once, small miracle  ;D

First picture is looking out the back window of the tractor whilst pulling the gun out at a nice steady 1kph so we don't overheat the gearbox on the reel

post-334-132638531775_thumb.jpg

One of the reel now which is a Wright Rain Touraine 2 110/420, 11o being the pipe diameter in mm and 420 being the length of pipe on the reel in metres, today's pull was about 390m long and will take about 16hrs to pull in while putting 1 inch of water on

post-334-13263853178_thumb.jpg

close up of the gearbox and turbine housing on the side. The water drives the turbine which operates the gearbox which in turn pulls in the pipe, we can alter it to put anything from a few mm on to a few inches

post-334-13263853179_thumb.jpg

Water pressure is up at 12 bar while we are operating the drum so if you get a pipe blow you soon know about it! This pic shows the flexi pipe connection between the aluminium pipes and the filter on the reel

post-334-132638531793_thumb.jpg

Now for the aluminium pipes, we've spent the rest of the day laying out these 'little' pipes on our contracted out carrots. Each one is approx 9m long and 5 inches in diameter

post-334-132638531801_thumb.jpg

........which slots into this female end with seal and retaining notch in theory, doesn't always work to well and they have been known to blow apart once water pressure builds up  >:(

post-334-132638531827_thumb.jpg

What tractor is that you have it on Gavin??

It's on the Fiat F140 which has finished all other duties so will stay with the irrigator until the end of the season now

An interesting topic this Gavin...... :)

A question I've always wondered about irrigation is that:-

Is it the motor which pumps the water from the burn/stream to the drum the same motor which pumps the water to the gun or does the drum do that separately?

Its the same pump, the reel has no pump on it just a turbine and gearbox. I didn't go down to our pump so i have no pictures of it. We have one on loan (soon to be 2) this year as the pikeys nicked anything of any value off the old one >:(

Cheers for the info Gavin......I was just away to ask how the pump was as I remember your one had had some problems......

Problems aren't in it! All the control guages were nicked, the battery and they had been taking pot shots at the diesel tank with an air rifle, good job it didn't puncture as there would have been 200 litres of diesel in the river!

Problems aren't in it! All the control guages were nicked, the battery and they had been taking pot shots at the diesel tank with an air rifle, good job it didn't puncture as there would have been 200 litres of diesel in the river!

:-\ :-\......Just a bit of havoc they caused then...... :o

Looks like you got a fair bit done today then Gav, even if you did spend all afternoon down the boozer sipping on a cold one!! ;)

Now is this true i need some more things to take the pi$$ out of him for