what's that coming over the hill ?

MJB1

& hauling out from her was this JD 6820 & gull 14ton trailer , the farm was less than a mile away& was a straight tip in a shed , but it still couldnt keep up & the claas had to stop to wait for it.

2 tank fulls , more or less filled the trailer level & the chap in the deere was going like stink trying to keep up with her  :)

Marcus, is the yellow thing just to help the grain/OSR etc. get in the trailer easier? ??? ???....(been thinking of adding one to my 600 as its quite a drop from auger to marston in 1:32 world of course ::))

Marcus, is the yellow thing just to help the grain/OSR etc. get in the trailer easier? ??? ???....(been thinking of adding one to my 600 as its quite a drop from auger to marston in 1:32 world of course ::))

Just get an old fertiliser or seed bag and put it around it  :D;)

the idea ben is that when it comes out of the auger it stops the grain from 'spraying' all over the place & lets it drop in a more uniform manor, thus reducing any waste  :)

And makes it easier to put a better load on the trailer  ;)

the idea ben is that when it comes out of the auger it stops the grain from 'spraying' all over the place & lets it drop in a more uniform manor, thus reducing any waste  :)

yeah thats the ones , farm had them on the mf combines many years ago, all retro fitted ,from black rubber skirting ,the stuff used arround the backs of the older combines i think, bugger was it caught the sun roof on the mf's as you drove under, usally resulting in a shower of grain as the auger passed over you :D :D

cheers Marcus :) :)

Our combine driver just put an extension on our auger to make sure it comes straght down and not outwards like it does on that 580 there the extension is same plastic and fits straght onto the auger and you put the standard auger bit on the end of the extension i'll try and get a pic tomo

Great pics marcus

it's very rare to see irrigators working in a cerial field round here ol, only really irrigate for spuds , but it was quite a good crop, looking at around 4.5 - 5 tons per acre, sorry i don't work in hectares :-\

thats the figure the tractor driver had said & by the way the combine had to keep stopping to wait for the trailer , id say it was about right .

it was spuds last year , barley before that & sugar beet before that , , it's meduim loam soil so it's pretty good stuff & does retain moisture reasonably well , but it is quite stoney, ideal for fossil pickers , & when this is all raked up , you'll se 3-4 people at weekends , scouring the field for them , one chap actually pays the manager ?10 per day for the privalige of looking for fossils there , but he does earn a fortune by cleaning them up & selling them

Funny you say that marcus,As I was typing that post I was thinking a fair few of the pictures of crops in the farmers weekly seem to be grown on heavy but stoney soils,seems odd to me as here most of our heavyer land is stone free.

If the stones were put into a trailer while de stoning for the spuds a few times then would'nt you have got the best of them picked off.??

Some day I'd like to see some of that English soil with all the we bit's of rock in it. :)

if all the stones were to be picked out ol, the field wound be lowered by about 3ft  :D

if the srones were not there , it wouldn't drain as well as it does ,the soil would then pan down hard & would then be almost unworkable.

This method of destoning complete fields has been tried years ago at a farm near langport , about 12 miles away , now the whole farm is permanent set aside , or mindrilled linseed, as there are no stones ,the fields don't drain, the soil packs hard & is completely unworkable , when wet it clogs up every thing , when dry it's as hard as concrete , i pulled a 12ton set of discs fully weighted on there once & all i ended up doing was making nice straight lines about 5mm deep, just didn't touch it , then after 5 mins of rain i spent more time racing the dics in a left turn circle to try & keep them free & clear,

When dry a plough will not draw into the ground & a powerharrow just skips & jumps across the surface, when wet the plough gets down to about 3in deep & just holds the tractor still as you cant get any grip , that stuff was evil  :(

we did manage to plant spuds of a fashion in one of the better fields , but when it rained it compacted the soil again & the spuds couldn't grow we couldn't harvest them so were left to rot & just leveled the ridges with a mounted set of discs  :(