What colour are the bottles on an oxy-acetylene cutting kit?

Deere-est

Question

14 answers to this question

I've never seen a red/orange acetylene bottle before Nath, normally propane in the red/orange bottles...... Some of the older gas bottles were a bit hit and miss with colours but there shouldn't be any around these days the way legislation has changed over the years, the first time it was filled up and wasn't to spec it would have been taken out of service or condemned.

I've never seen a red/orange acetylene bottle before Nath, normally propane in the red/orange bottles...... Some of the older gas bottles were a bit hit and miss with colours but there shouldn't be any around these days the way legislation has changed over the years, the first time it was filled up and wasn't to spec it would have been taken out of service or condemned.

I Agree Acetylene is Maroon.  It can't be anything else as this is the British standard - all gases have there own colour.  orange/red is the colour for Propane (unless you use patio heater gas from DIY centres which has introduced Lime green/Dark green bottles, as its pleasing to the eye in the garden).

People use propane as its easier to get hold of, as you need to contract hire acetylene.  If you can use Acetylene you would as you get a hotter flame than with propane.