Hay Turner - Anybody recognise from description?

James T

Used to be a few of these still working in the '80's when I was young  ;)

Offset, PTO driven, greater width than tractor with long horizontal bar to which tines were attached.  Hood over the top, probably could be adjusted.  Skids and small wheels.

Anybody think they know what this was?

sounds like a golden pheasant to me or a fanted less bar's than the golden bit smaller overall i used to ted hay and you could add row up doors on the back and leave a lovely fuffed up row for bailing

the drawbar used to move round to an inline posistion for traverling a little bit unstable at times you ajusted the wheels for work or trans it picked the crop up from the front over the top and left a fuffed up row so the air could drythe crop

Answering my own question - Lely Pheasant - just saw a picture from a manual for sale on eBay.  Interesting piece of old kit - don't suppose anybody has a pic?

There was a Cock Pheasant on wheels & a Flying Pheasant on skids:Blanch-Lely, from memory,four bars of tines (very prone to breakage- that's why we didn't get one!- whereas the Fanted had 2 helically mounted bars with strips of strip-steel bar tines that were mounted on very thick rubberised canvas that could cope with uneven ground better without breaking. We still had fields of "ridge & furrow" on the farm we bought in the late 60's that hadn't been ploughed for over 50 yrs then, which would have stripped the tines off a Pheasant  and ****ed the baler knives.Previous to the Fanted we had a Vicon 2 row back-kicker tedder like an un-shrouded Pheasant that only back-kicked, not up and over.I've got brochures of them all but too busy to attempt to find/post them I'm afraid.....sorry to be a big tease! :)

• 1 month later...
c*ck......now has that got through? ???;D

Aw yes,.... at last!  What do you call "traditional" Nige 'cos I would have said the C*ck Pheasant or Bamford "Wuffler" was traditional not a Haybob as we still have that design.

Cen Davies does a nice ground-drive multi-bar rotating rake, Fisher-Humphries, I think.

I'm not at all impressed with the recent SIKU turner. One day I'll finish the Vicon Trapeze I started back in the early '80's

that's only the right hand side of a Trapeze.

We used to row up ahead of the JD 5400 or Claas Jag 80 SP foragers with a Trapeze. Will dig out some photos one day on our 4000 & contractors Zetor Crystal 8011.

Is that the one towed by the drawbar not the 3pl ? :)

Aw yes,.... at last!  What do you call "traditional" Nige 'cos I would have said the C*ck Pheasant or Bamford "Wuffler" was traditional not a Haybob as we still have that design.

Cen Davies does a nice ground-drive multi-bar rotating rake, Fisher-Humphries, I think.

I'm not at all impressed with the recent SIKU turner. One day I'll finish the Vicon Trapeze I started back in the early '80's from NIGEL FORD

I mean like the britains lely rotory tedder but "more realistic " proper gates on the back

etc

Found my old one the weekend don;t think she will do many more acres now ::)

steve1053-1.jpg

shame really was a good bit of kit

steve1054-1.jpg

We had 2 of them up until 12 months ago but (as many of you know what i'm about to say) we scrapped them

bit of a shame as one of them wes prety well serviceable  just needed tyres and some tines

that one was stored in a shed and kept rather well  must have been in there for 25+ years

But the rules were adhered to and it was scrapped along with load of other old and interesting bits of kit

shame realy as once they have all gone there gone forever