scaledown kits

Tractorman810

well guys heres whats going to be keeping me quite for a few nights, prob weeks ,i finally surcombe to a scaledown kit, the long reach bomford hedge trimmer, thought i would go in easy at first, looks ok but have a few questions from the pro builder

1 whats the best glue to use, i see it recomends t part stuff, but not sure about which is the easiest to use

2 do i need to prime it at all

3 is it better to hand paint or aerosole/airbrush paint it ? i can get the recomended humbrol colour in spray tin,

4 paint the parts seperatly and join, or dry fit and paint then strip and rebuild byut fixing properly

any help welcomed

post-46-132638545681_thumb.jpg

1 whats the best glue to use, i see it recomends t part stuff, but not sure about which is the easiest to use

2 do i need to prime it at all

3 is it better to hand paint or aerosole/airbrush paint it ? i can get the recomended humbrol colour in spray tin,

4 paint the parts seperatly and join, or dry fit and paint then strip and rebuild byut fixing properly

FWIW Sean I use epoxy for 'main' joints and superglue to stick small bits on.

Wash in soapy water rinse and prime....leaves a good finish on white metal.

I pefer an airbrush so that you can get into all the nooks and crannies without overspraying another part.

I tend to get as much assembled of one colour as I can feasibly paint but I leave mudguards, bonnets and wheels off tractors then fix them after.

Hope this helps - look forward to seeing it on a nice 399  ;)

cheers jdc, pretty much what i was going to do in build it all up, then paint, leave the pins free for the ram inners ,so i can remover them once done for painting and refit after, not to good on a airbrush.always comes out lumpy even after thining so recon it will be a tin of something at present, not even got it started yet anyway,

I built one of these a few years ago.  It was my first Scaledown implement and it was the first version of the Bomford Brigand they produced.  Unfortunately the rams on mine ended up to loose and I'm unable to 'pose' it in the working position.  Also I made a mistake in not clear varnishing the transfers once I had applied them.  They now are starting to peel off.

Anyway some photo's to 'assist' :)

cheers for those pdh, looks great,i think mines the 5ft head unit long reach version

at the min its still sat in the box, as i have a mountain of stuff to do in the house at the mo, although i may well start making it up on a tray in the house when i finish the diy for the day

• 2 weeks later...