Layout modules??

Tellarian

Don't know if anyone has ever thought about this.  Probably not as the hobby is still emerging from the closet, and, layout building has only really come on in the past few years.

However, the Railway modellers have had to deal with this in the past fiftry years, as layouts became bigger and more detailed they were made on a modular base, so as to allow ease of erection, transport, storage, and for displays.

I think from memory 4 foot by 2 foot is  popular size - it is ripped from a standard sheet of ply or MDF wil minimal waste and fits in the back of most cars.

Another alternative out there is A0 or A1 series, these have the advantage of being smaller.

Just that there are a lot of guys coming into the hobby - we do not want to impose but it would be a good idea if a common concensus could be reached - if say, common baseboard units or 'field mats'  then it would make fitting displays together easier.

Perhaps it is something that should be talked about??

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html

good topic! :) :)

Not sure on others but i use/will use approx 600mmx450mm or 600mmx900mm :-\ so i can get it in the roof easier.

Also depends on the size of MDF board in 6mm i can get, but i try to stick with a easy size to use

To be honest, the sheds i've built are not on that size but just bigger than the shed its self as i intend to infill the area with blanks....if that makes sense?

you definitely need something managerable though for transporting around ;)

One step ahead of ya Tellarian!! All my sheds will be oan their own baseboards. This way they can be individually displayed at home and joined up 3or photo's, shows whenever the need arises. The yards maybe able to take on a number of different looks aswell. I want people to see what I am doing in 3d so transporting it is a neccessity really.

mines the smae as tris's tellarian, all on 6mm mdf borads that just push together, various sizes depending on what/how big each building is, only one thats fixed to one positon is the first pig unit as it has door runner on it, and the only way i could get it to fit, was cut a notch out of the board it buts to

I'm going to do mine in similar sized boards if I can, might not be as easy to do in practical terms though.... I have a series of "dry stores" I want to build which might require a big board, like this beauty which is on a 5' (well 4'11" now  ::)) x 2'6" board from memory......

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=9745.0

100_3056.jpg

I'm going to do mine in similar sized boards if I can, might not be as easy to do in practical terms though.... I have a series of "dry stores" I want to build which might require a big board, like this beauty which is on a 5' (well 4'11" now  ::)) x 2'6" board from memory......

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=9745.0

100_3056.jpg

Wow! be fun to be a 1,32nd size man and have a walk through that shed and look at all the tidy gems inside.