tractors, machinery & trucks on my journeys

MJB1

What age is the door door, two step, two tone Massey? I'm just wondering when the two doors with sliding window was introduced.

Grasshopper mowers, great piece of kit, go as fast as you can, would leave a Tarrup 307 standing as MJB states but you always had a small tuft of grass between the two drums. Didn't the company evolve into K-Two sales?

both those 565's were on a Wreg , so that would make them 1980

Dealer stock Marcus perhaps ???

Mavis is a 1980 build... early at that (according to the serial number)... but not sold and road registered until 1981  :-\  .. the 'revised' version was out by then at the factory

EDIT:

Forgot to say... nice pics mate... and the 250 will do me thanks.. lovely little machine with that super cripsy AD3.152S engine... a 148 in its Sunday best  :-*  .. with a stronger 165 backend

Wouldn't be surprised if they were selling them side by side for a while mark , like you say dealer stock .

Back then it wasn't unusual to see dealers holding a dozen 'stock' tractors, apart from wheels & tyres , there wasn't the options that modern tractors have as they're now built to customer spec.

Unlike modern tractors where they need a small nuclear power pack to power all the add ons , those tractors had the options of tyre & wheel sizes , one plough lamp or two, (not strong enough to light wembly stadium , but just srtong enough to attract the worlds population of mothswhile you were night plowing with the back window open ) an AM wireless or ear defenders possibly in a colour of your choice as long as they were red  ;D

:D :D :D . indeed mate. I can recall Weatherheads would have at least one of two of each 500 series in stock at any one time.. except the nasty 595 of course

For a small dealer like them it would be quite probable to have one or two stock items 'stick around' for some time. Although Banner Lane only built to customer order it was expected that the dealers would keep stock in to sell.

Back in the days before 1958, Ferguson dealers HAD to have one of every implement in stock all the time.... and tracttors of course... and I do believe they had to have a standard vanguard van too I believe.. although I may have made that last bit up  :-[ .. you can imagine how chuffed a dealer would be to have to keep a 'game flusher' in stock  ::)

:D :D :D . indeed mate. I can recall Weatherheads would have at least one of two of each 500 series in stock at any one time.. except the nasty 595 of course

Glad you said that Mark,rotten things they were.

Whats a game flusher???

• 2 weeks later...

had a call yesterday to say my new , old , new to me unit had turned up so went down to have a look see....

58 plate SCANIA R420 6x2 highline 3 pedal opticruse

WX58BTU15611Small.jpg

after a quick drive round the block the graphics man turned up so i hung around to see him apply the first few vinyls

WX58BTU156111Small.jpg

WX58BTU156112Small.jpg

WX58BTU156114Small.jpg

WX58BTU156116Small.jpg

WX58BTU156118Small.jpg

aparently MVF have decided to do up my trailer as well , with a whole new advert board & the first all new advert for the Mole Valley Branches rather than the standard feed solutions & mole sticker , but i'll not get to see that till next week

anyone used a stoneridge tacho before ?  :-\

Do your lot hunt for a wagon in the right colour then , or is it a branch shift as there have been several green mole valley rigs round here for a while Inc at least 2 artics  ?  If so how come you lot keep getting second handers while others get new ones

Do your lot hunt for a wagon in the right colour then , or is it a branch shift as there have been several green mole valley rigs round here for a while Inc at least 2 artics  ?  If so how come you lot keep getting second handers while others get new ones

apart from the 3 VOLVO FM units like i used to have & MVF engineering, MVF feeds solution trucks have been green for about 8 years now mate  :)

no sean , this was green before it was sprayed .................err..................green  ???

the last 3 scania artics were all ex Bristol Fruit Sales R420's but the previous 3 units were new spanking G480's, the decision to go 2nd hand was simple MVF were working to a budget & after a good search with the reps scania came up with an 07,57 & this 58.

BFS green is darker than MVF green thus the respray which was all included in the deal. also why buy new units when there is a glut of very good second hand ones about .

the 6 & 8 wheelers are always bought new if possible as they'll get the real abuse & finding good secondhand 8 leggers is like finding rocking horse poo !

as for artics,

lifton have 2 artics , 1 scania G480 at 44t &1 volvo fm 12 at 38t,

dorchester have 3 artics, 2 scania G480's & an R420all at 44t,

calne has 1 scania R420 at 44t,

& i'll have an R420 at 40/44 depending on the trailer i'll pull , a bulker for the 40t & a curtainsider for the 44t work, all the other units have hydraulic packs to power their trailers while i'll be keeping my trailer which is fitted with a 75hp SAME air cooled donkey engine  :)

Thats a lovely looking truck Marcus... I bet you can't wait to get her out on the open roads hey mate  :P  .... silly question... but when you say 3 pedal... I assume you mean a good old fashioned gearbox and not a fangle automatic box ?  :-[

had a call yesterday to say my new , old , new to me unit had turned up so went down to have a look see....

58 plate SCANIA R420 6x2 highline 3 pedal opticruse

WX58BTU15611Small.jpg

after a quick drive round the block the graphics man turned up so i hung around to see him apply the first few vinyls

WX58BTU156111Small.jpg

WX58BTU156112Small.jpg

WX58BTU156114Small.jpg

WX58BTU156116Small.jpg

WX58BTU156118Small.jpg

aparently MVF have decided to do up my trailer as well , with a whole new advert board & the first all new advert for the Mole Valley Branches rather than the standard feed solutions & mole sticker , but i'll not get to see that till next week

anyone used a stoneridge tacho before ?  :-\

Yep what do you want to know?

yes definatly know the one now some one left the back window open on the digger leaving me with a wet seat so as i only had to move it round the corner i did it standing up pressed the brake pedal only for it to shoot backwards and giving me a bloody nose as i hit the windscreen  :-[ :'( :of

right i know i haven't driven a truck for a couple of years but whats all this 3 pedal auto?

It's an auto but it has a clutch for moving off, pulling up and inching. Took me a minute to master one having got it into my head it was auto and thus forgot to clutch at a roundabout. . .. Embarrassing to say the least  :laugh: :laugh: But soon after I quite liked it  :)

Looks well looked after, Marcus and the stainless mirror guards are a nice touch. What spec is it, fleet or a bit more special-er?  :)

It's an auto but it has a clutch for moving off, pulling up and inching. Took me a minute to master one having got it into my head it was auto and thus forgot to clutch at a roundabout. . .. Embarrassing to say the least  :laugh: :laugh: But soon after I quite liked it  :)

Looks well looked after, Marcus and the stainless mirror guards are a nice touch. What spec is it, fleet or a bit more special-er?  :)

would struggle to meet fleet spec i should think tris  ;D ;D

unlike the other two we bought this hasnt got as much, as far as i can gather , this one hasn't got a retarder fitted so the exhaust brake & service brakes will be well tested in wales , so it may well be relined a bit more often than the others , , it also hasnt got sun visor spots or bumper fogs & only one fuel tank so the fuel card will probably wear out quicker than the brakes  ;D ;D ;D 

the rear tyres are michelin, road type & are 85-90% good , but will try to scrub those by the time winter comes for some mich MSD's for a bit more grip