tractors, machinery & trucks on my journeys

MJB1

would struggle to meet fleet spec i should think tris  ;D ;D

unlike the other two we bought this hasnt got as much, as far as i can gather , this one hasn't got a retarder fitted so the exhaust brake & service brakes will be well tested in wales , so it may well be relined a bit more often than the others , , it also hasnt got sun visor spots or bumper fogs & only one fuel tank so the fuel card will probably wear out quicker than the brakes  ;D ;D ;D 

the rear tyres are michelin, road type & are 85-90% good , but will try to scrub those by the time winter comes for some mich MSD's for a bit more grip

Has it got a radio?  :laugh: :laugh:

Shame it hasn't got a retarder as the one fitted to this which I drove was stonking, even at 40t it would hold 40mph down Birdlip. . . which is pretty good I'd say! After this one I then had an ex-Maritime 6x2 as you know and this didn't have it, I missed it!

Now I miss them both. . .. waaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!  :'( :laugh:

post-227-132639827965_thumb.jpg

post-227-13263982807_thumb.jpg

Has it got a radio?  :laugh: :laugh:

Shame it hasn't got a retarder as the one fitted to this which I drove was stonking, even at 40t it would hold 40mph down Birdlip. . . which is pretty good I'd say! After this one I then had an ex-Maritime 6x2 as you know and this didn't have it, I missed it!

Now I miss them both. . .. waaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!  :'( :laugh:

;D ;D  yes it has a wireless mate , as long as i get farming today at 0550 & the archers at 1400 i'll be fine  :)

like the 'red' scania ,many wouldn't have given it up for a poo tanker ! & yes i remember you & andy preping the blue one  ,surprised it had no retarder  maritime usualy have all the bells & whistles on them  :) 

• 3 weeks later...

well once my unit was all up & running my trailer unfortunately wasnt so i was pulling the spare about

Picture002Small-1.jpg

that yard isnt steep but it was a bit greasy, axle updiff in & was going nowhere fast but leaving the farmer four rather straight lines of burnt rubber in the yard , all well & good but i know for a fact the vlovo wouldnt have needed diff  ;) 

anyways & yes tris you'll read this right , i'm quite liking the old bus, a different beast to what the original 4 series was to drive , better cab suspension , better axle suspension & big improvement on the seats  !

this truck just lacks a few things a bigger fuel tank, upright exhaust, foglights,  VOLVO I-shift gearbox & VOLVO sprung matterss ,get those fitted & i dont think i'll be far off having a near as damn it great truck for the job !

oh yeah my trailers out of the workshop as well  :) 

WX58BTU296111Small.jpg

although i took it back in as a discharger bearing has broken up  >:(

Nice looking rig Marcus hope to get my new unit next week. 2000 model 525 western star badged Erf 8x4 will just be on tipper work till my blower gear arrived from Canada

look forward to seeing that nick  :)

Looks odd without the airkit given the distance from the cab to the trailer. .. . . all that fuel drag. . .. MVF didn't think of that did they?!!

Looks good all painted up and out in the soooooooonshiiiiiiiiiine in an Oasis stylee though  :-*:)

Looks odd without the airkit given the distance from the cab to the trailer. .. . . all that fuel drag. . .. MVF didn't think of that did they?!!

Looks good all painted up and out in the soooooooonshiiiiiiiiiine in an Oasis stylee though  :-*:)

dont need an air kit tris , only on the rare occasion do i pull a curtainsder that it would be of any benifit anyway mate !

my trailer isnt high enough to need an air kit , bit like the wally's who spec an airkit when the truck will be permanently on tankers, they're low & aerodynamic anyway , which meants that airkit can create enough drag equal to another quater of a ton !

also an air kit wouldn't go under some bins for loading in the mills & as you know some lanes we go down have overhanging branches & i wouldn't want to rip it off if i took a wrong turn now would i ?  ;)

the gap between the trailer is restricted to how much room i have at the back end mate, if i move the trailer closer my lights would catch on the landing legs when i turned.

also because the design of the chassis of the trailer ,when the 2nd steer is lifted the ramps to the 5th wheel catch the trailer chassis.

when the VOLVO 2nd axle was lifted it was lifted by air & the unit chassis stayed the same height, with the SCANIA the whole chassis lifts , & this increases the height of the front of the trailer by nearly 5 inches !

3 things i want from the volvo to go on the scania though

1 ; the mattress, volvo had a 6in sprung mattress , the scania has 4ins of foam

2 ; the I-SHIFT, volvo gearbox far superior in every way

3 ; the grip, i'm struggling for grip , where the volvo was sure footed every time. been to 3 farms with sloping yards this week where i've had to use traction control & difflock & many unsucsessfull run ups to get out ,& thats on clean dry concrete !

i've never used traction control or the diff on the volvo on any of those farms in the past 4 years, wet or dry !

other than that i'm getting to used to it & quite liking it

figures show that an air kit on a unit thats not needed can pull enough air equal to a quater of a ton in drag

it's got the 3 pedal opticruse paul  :(

with the I-SHIFT you could use it quick from from forward to reverse to rock your way out ofsticky situations , but with the opticruse you need to depress the declutch wait for a couple of seconds before it selects a gear to move again.

also when a very steep hill looms & you have little speed momentum , she just comes to a standstill & you have to use crawler to get moving again, tris did say this happened to him on birdlip hill hauling stone  the volvo I-SHIFT had never left me at a standstill on a main road or a lane unless i've lost traction

Oh I don't like the sound of that ::)

My new Merc is the only Auto i've driven but I find it superb :)  i think with your type of work you would just flick it in manual and prompt gearshifts yourself,i did use the power button on a hill from a standing start at 44ton the otherday :)  the software make it use everygear and change the gear ar 2100rpm :of  wish i had video so i could film it :laugh:

Oh I don't like the sound of that ::)

My new Merc is the only Auto i've driven but I find it superb :)  i think with your type of work you would just flick it in manual and prompt gearshifts yourself,i did use the power button on a hill from a standing start at 44ton the otherday :)  the software make it use everygear and change the gear ar 2100rpm :of  wish i had video so i could film it :laugh:

only had to use manual once so far paul but i think it'll be used much more in the winter !

glad yer liking the auto , i don't think you'd be wanting a manual back, especially in traffic ,. typical i have an auto but still have all the clutch work in traffic , scania's nice but coming from an I-SHIFT , it's a step backwards for me  >:(

Yeah the Volvo I-Shift is a humming good 'box I can vouch for that. What tyres have you got on your drive axle Marcus? Even on the 4x2 I lose grip pretty well all over the place and when out with one of the sons the other day he did comment on the previous tyres not giving that problem quite as much I forget what's on it but I'll look tomorrow. I know the trailer can't be any closer, that's for obvious reasons that you mentioned but an air kit would help deflect air out of the 'trap' - even rigid tippers with fron end rams suffer this and is why so many bulkers have scissor action underlifts now so the box is up tight against the cab. I saw a Hi-Line the other day with an air kit fitted as per the normal cabbed version - ie not the type the Hi-Line and Topline have with the cab moulded for the fitting of an air kit. As for taking wrong turns, as if. Which numpty would go and do that? I took the right turn. . .... it was the wrong lorry!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i'm on michelin XD's at the moment tris , so not siutable for off road or farms really , but they're half worn , so with any luck & the crap traction this unit has i hope they'll be scrubbed ready for some MSD's for the winter  :)

found a few beauties ..

4055 in good order

40556711Small.jpg

& a very tidy ford 76 with a freshly broken upper window :(

760012711Small.jpg

a pic of the truck alongside one of Bristol Port Company's toys  :of

WX58BTU12711Small.jpg

oooh i feel a song coming on........................

Sittin' in the mornin' sun

I'll be sittin' when the evenin' come

Watching the ships roll in

And then I watch 'em roll away again, yeah

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay

Watching the tide roll away

Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay

Wastin' time

what a classic  8) 8) 8)

Nice new-ish combine behind that super nice old '55 mate. Quite a contrast.

As for your singing voice. . . I should keep the window wound if I were you!!

yes mate thats in SMARTS yard at Dorchester, i think this 55 spend much of her time hooked up to a big heston baler , it's one of a few that opperate in the area , in for her yearly checkup before things get busy

Yep.... lock him up lads... he's finally gone

We knew it was coming.. we can all visit him at weekends still I guess  :P

Oh.... nice pictures Ottis too.... that is some loader mate - how many tonne per grab full then ???

dont know mark , looks smaller in the pic than it really is , i suppose it would be 4-5 tonnes depending on the product

still used DX85 (think i've posted this tractor before ?)

16711DX85Small.jpg

a tris favorite MF390T

390T16711Small.jpg

what looks to be a blind narrow 135 ?

13516711Small.jpg

MF 20 ex-RAF

2016611Small.jpg

well used Bedford TK    don't think it's been started for a while though  :(

sadbedfordtkSmall.jpg

love big tidy farms like this

WX58BTU16711Small.jpg