*PROJECT* Fitting hydraulic hoses to a Simba Solo

Gav836

Question

Following a request by Marky for me to do a topic like this some weeks ago i thought i would show you how to fit hydraulic hoses to a simba solo model, although this can be adapted for any other model. A relatively easy conversion to do, only tools being required are a drill and 1mm bit and wire cutters. You will need a length of black wire to use as the hose, i use black alarm system cable, the white cable that i use is the same and is only fitted due to this model eventually having a seeder hopper fitted and will act as the power cable to it. Already fitted to the Solo is a 8cm length of 6mm Plastruct U shaped channel along the top of the frame at the front end, this is to run the ends of the hoses into to tidy the model up. I am not showing this before fitting because A) the models need a full respray before i can sell them as britains got the colour wrong ::)B) i don't have any Solo's that are not sprayed up or any more of that shape plastruct left ::):D You will need some super glue or similar to hold the wire in place. Also Used by me but optional for anyone else is a length of EMA Plastic coated wire as a pipe guide on the drawbar

1)What you need

2) The Plastruct channel in place

post-334-13263855646_thumb.jpg

post-334-132638556464_thumb.jpg

18 answers to this question

Step 1

Take your drill/dremel or whatever you decide to use and drill 2 1mm holes in each ram, one near the bottom nd one near the top as shown in the pictures, any paint loss at this point will be touched up later

post-334-132638556468_thumb.jpg

post-334-132638556472_thumb.jpg

Step 2

Cut your lengths of wire off to fit as pipes, approx lengths as follows

2 x 10cm for press ram outers

2 x 9cm for press ram inners

4 x 5cm for wheel lift rams

1 x 7cm for drawbar ram front pipe

1 x 8cm for drawbar ram rear pipe

4 x 10cm for solo to tractor pipes

post-334-132638556475_thumb.jpg

Step 3

Take your super glue and apply a small drop to one end of each piece of wire, making sure that the wire is still round and has not been squashed oval whilst cutting it (shown in pic but hard to see)

Note-watch your fingers with the glue whilst carrying this part out ::)

Fit the correct length pipe as listed above into the correct hole on the ram, i've started with the drawbar but it is entirely optional where you want to start

post-334-132638556479_thumb.jpg

post-334-132638556483_thumb.jpg

Step 4

For the four pipes that go between the Solo and the tractor apply a blob of glue to the four pipes on one end whilst holding them together then push them approx 1-1.5cm up the front end of the plastruct channel then apply a small drop of glue to the front of the channel to hold them in place

Once all the pipes are in place you will need to wait an hour or so for the glue to go off before you can go any further.

post-334-13263855649_thumb.jpg

post-334-132638556494_thumb.jpg

Whilst waiting for the glue to go off i have drilled a hole in the drawbar level with the ram then fitted a lenght of plastic coated wire into it to act as a pipe guide. To do this you will need 7cm length of wire and to wrap one end of it around a pen or something similar to make a loop in one end

post-334-13263855652_thumb.jpg

Its entirely up to you Ben, i just find it easier and tidier to do it this way, especially as you have got 8 pipes coming into the channel and only 4 coming out, if you don't do it this way you will need to find a way of making the pipes look like they have  'T' pieces in them to join the left and right press and wheel ram pipes together :);)

i see :), thought i'd ask as its an informative topic which anyone can attempt! :) :)

No problems and if anyone else has any questions, please ask away! I considered all options for the hoses when i started doing these conversions and this seemed to be the easiest option :);)

Step 5

Push the ends of the wheel ram pipes up the end of the plastruct channel until the pipes look right along the sides of the Solo, then repeat this step for the press ram pipes

Finally make a u shape out of the plastic coated wire and fit just behind the wheel ram mountings as a pipe clamp, it needn't be as big on yours but i still have to get 8 seeder tubes through it on this one as well ;)

post-334-132638556524_thumb.jpg

post-334-132638556528_thumb.jpg

Thanks GAV can,t wait to have a go on my Simba

Have you got any tips on attatching pipes from implements or trailers to the tractor

GGG

you could either drill some small holes or stick some tubing to the tractor :-\ :-\...sure there are beter ideas??

I suppose, given your example of the JD, that you could always drill small holes into where the spool valves actually are cast into the tractor, just a thought but depends how you feel about drilling holes in your models ::)