Ford 7840......Before and After......

NewHolland2

Air Horns hey Mart... Sounds good to me...

Don't forget the feu-orange air freshner as well  ;)

Oh yes Marky......There's a lad that does the carrots around here and you should see his tractor......It's covered in bits and bobs, a bit like another lad who does the tatties...... ;)

The plan is to have the machine by the end of the year and then start on adding the bits too it next year......Having said that I've got a spare beacon here...... ;)

Will have to add the air freshener to the list...... ;)

It'll be a truly impressive beasty when I'm finished with it...... ;D ;D ;)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good buy Mart, havn't read everyone elses comments but the 40 series has been one of the most popular tractors in the area I live - due to two things, 1. Fantastic tractor. Farmer friendly, fair price, reliable, comfortable, reasonable service/parts prices and 2. Dealer back up, we have some god NH dealers locally.

The 8340 will go on forever and a dairy farmer near us has just chopped in a TSA125 and a TSA135 for two 8340's!! He now has four 8340's I think, he can't get enough of them. Our contractor still has two or three, a white top and two blue's (8240, 8340, 8340 NH) We had a 7840SL on the farm and it had grunt mate, she'd pull a 3m Vaderstadt without too much bother and the contractor reckoned it had more guts than their 8240's because the lost a little power through the transmission. I would guess in this case a 7740 would be as balsy as a 7840SLE and the 7840SL to be as ballsy as the 8240SLE.

She'd not be a bad buy for you Mart for a first tractor and there will be a resale market for it even when your done with her. If this one doesn't come your way I'd find out as much as you can and talk to the dealer nicely, they seem to like helping young lads out - brings business there way in the future. Out TH Whites helped a good friend of mine source a mint Ford 7810 - he know has and 8340 (mint!!) and an 8360 with a 2.5t loader (mint!!) all from the same rep.

Leave out the double beacons Mart, it's the tractor equivelant of Lexus lights!!!!!!!!!

A good buy Mart, havn't read everyone elses comments but the 40 series has been one of the most popular tractors in the area I live - due to two things, 1. Fantastic tractor. Farmer friendly, fair price, reliable, comfortable, reasonable service/parts prices and 2. Dealer back up, we have some god NH dealers locally.

The 8340 will go on forever and a dairy farmer near us has just chopped in a TSA125 and a TSA135 for two 8340's!! He now has four 8340's I think, he can't get enough of them. Our contractor still has two or three, a white top and two blue's (8240, 8340, 8340 NH) We had a 7840SL on the farm and it had grunt mate, she'd pull a 3m Vaderstadt without too much bother and the contractor reckoned it had more guts than their 8240's because the lost a little power through the transmission. I would guess in this case a 7740 would be as balsy as a 7840SLE and the 7840SL to be as ballsy as the 8240SLE.

She'd not be a bad buy for you Mart for a first tractor and there will be a resale market for it even when your done with her. If this one doesn't come your way I'd find out as much as you can and talk to the dealer nicely, they seem to like helping young lads out - brings business there way in the future. Out TH Whites helped a good friend of mine source a mint Ford 7810 - he know has and 8340 (mint!!) and an 8360 with a 2.5t loader (mint!!) all from the same rep.

Leave out the double beacons Mart, it's the tractor equivelant of Lexus lights!!!!!!!!!

Cheers for the info Tris...... :)

It certainly sounds like a 40 Series is a promising and useful tractor as a first modern one for me......Not bad at all if they can pull a 3m Vaderstad......And they'll definitely be on a 40K box I would have thought so will be just as good for road work...... :)

For the money I'll have it'll probably be a late white roof version I'd get or an early blue roof version...... ;)

I'll hold out as long as I can though to get the most modern one I can......

yep get a 40 series mart , you'll get to sit in a cheap plastic finished cab for hours & tear yer hair out trying to keep the inside of the cab clean  :D

the most dirty tractor i've ever driven in that respect i think , , & all i know say the same thing about the cabs , just cant keep the dust out >:(

please dont put number plates with names on mart they look tacky as does an air horn if this must be fitted , find a place where it doesn't show :-\

mate asked me if i wanted a plate with my name on as he was getting one done , yes i said , can it read sad b&*&*&d please  :D :D :D 

if you do want name on it then get some vynal letters done , get the tractors name on the front above the grill & your name descretely on the door , go classy not tacky  ;)

yep get a 40 series mart , you'll get to sit in a cheap plastic finished cab for hours & tear yer hair out trying to keep the inside of the cab clean  :D

the most dirty tractor i've ever driven in that respect i think , , & all i know say the same thing about the cabs , just cant keep the dust out >:(

please dont put number plates with names on mart they look tacky as does an air horn if this must be fitted , find a place where it doesn't show :-\

mate asked me if i wanted a plate with my name on as he was getting one done , yes i said , can it read sad b&*&*&d please  :D :D :D 

if you do want name on it then get some vynal letters done , get the tractors name on the front above the grill & your name descretely on the door , go classy not tacky  ;)

I know what you mean about how the plates look mate but personally I don't think they look all that bad......I think some machines suit them better than others...... :)

Will keep those suggestions in mind though...... :);)

marcus,

you put whatever you like on your new machine when you get it, everyone has their opinions on whats classy and whats tacky, but at the end of the day, its your tractor and you'll be proud of it, so whatever you fancy putting on it'll look great in your eyes and thats all that matters.

if your gonna buy a 7840 make sure its a turbo, theyre a gutless dog otherwise! dont go near an SL unless all the bushings in the gear linkages have been done,otherwise youll need a strong leg and steel toe boots to keep kicking it out of gear when it gets jammed!!

your best bet of all is to go for a 95-97 blue roof 8340,only available in sle. make sure its calibrated properly, (you'll know when you drive it) and try buy local if you can at all so you can trace its history before parting with your hard earned cash.

oh and keep an eye on the warning light for gearbox oil when changing gear, especially 3rd and 7th i think. if this flashes when you shift, walk away!!

beast of luck mate.

marcus,

you put whatever you like on your new machine when you get it, everyone has their opinions on whats classy and whats tacky, but at the end of the day, its your tractor and you'll be proud of it, so whatever you fancy putting on it'll look great in your eyes and thats all that matters.

if your gonna buy a 7840 make sure its a turbo, theyre a gutless dog otherwise! dont go near an SL unless all the bushings in the gear linkages have been done,otherwise youll need a strong leg and steel toe boots to keep kicking it out of gear when it gets jammed!!

your best bet of all is to go for a 95-97 blue roof 8340,only available in sle. make sure its calibrated properly, (you'll know when you drive it) and try buy local if you can at all so you can trace its history before parting with your hard earned cash.

oh and keep an eye on the warning light for gearbox oil when changing gear, especially 3rd and 7th i think. if this flashes when you shift, walk away!!

beast of luck mate.

thanks smish , but i think it's going to be a cold day in hell when i buy a 40 series ford , this is marts baby after all , if i were to buy a ford it'd be a 4000/5000 or similar ;)

marcus,

beast of luck mate.

Thanks Smish...... :)

Always handy to know these wee trouble shooting points in advance...... :)

Sounds like an 8340 is the one to go for...... ;)