walston farming diary

MJB1

just flicking through CT & read that oliver walston has set his farming diary back dated to 1978 !

i can remember watching the series that followed him on the TV so i thought i'd have a look

the pics are good as are the anual reports , especialy the machinery section , so if you want to see what goes on in a farmers head , have a look see , it's rather quite good  :)

http://www.thriplow-farms.co.uk/index.html

i had a look on there fella ;) you can see how things have changed when you look at 1974  and then look at today i thought it was good reading i like you mjb can remember him on televison in the sventies bl44dy hell that seems only yesterday :P :P

This is brilliant this bit...  ;D

We replaced four Deutz tractors early in the year and were surprised to find that both Ford and Deutz prices were both substantially higher than those of John Deere. Thus we bought four 4 wheel drive John Deere 3140s which have proved satisfactory, except for a rather alarming tendency for the rear wheels to fall off! Other new machines included the Claas Dominator 116CS, an 8 metre Roger XR pneumatic drill from France, a Moreau AT64 six row self-p ropelled beet harvester and a Sanderson 247 Teleporter

cheers Marcus!, farm near myself ;)

they should have got Masseys shouldnt they Marky :D :D

i think SPN put this link up last month as well, i cant remember the topic though :-\ :-\

yes but if you read further ben you'll see they swapped 2 masseys for 1 deere  :-\

• 10 months later...

Oliver Walston has published [url=http://www.thriplow-farms.co.uk/annual/2007.htm]his diary for 2007.

Interesting read Stan, I remember when you first sent me a link to the site which must be a couple of years ago now  :-\ and I spent the best part of an entire evening reading all the company accounts from day one to the most recent, there were some interesting changes over the 35 years or so it covered!