Case CX80 - bonnet removal

damu04

Question

Thinking of doing a CX80 conversion using the UH McComick CX105 chassis/platform and cab. Can anyone tell me how to remove the bonnet from an Ertl/Britains CX80 without damaging it? I imagine that it will be pinned through the body as with most Ertl's. Any advice greatfully received.

6 answers to this question

Thinking of doing a CX80 conversion using the UH McComick CX105 chassis/platform and cab. Can anyone tell me how to remove the bonnet from an Ertl/Britains CX80 without damaging it? I imagine that it will be pinned through the body as with most Ertl's. Any advice greatfully received.

just been to town and past burgeses (our loacal MC and CIH dealers)

and they had a cx 80 in there mint and i always liked them bonnets

on the CX's etc & i also was inspired to have a go at some point

its now on my "to do" list

and if i do a UH case ih cx i will put the Hi line cab on it  ;) ;)

yes no probs, theer's a small lug on the top which sits on a pin from the chassis ,that will split apart slightly, but it didnt mark the outside or profile of the bonnet at all mate,at a guess the ertl ones prob the same,although i am sure someone on here will know for sure

yes no probs, theer's a small lug on the top which sits on a pin from the chassis ,that will split apart slightly, but it didnt mark the outside or profile of the bonnet at all mate,at a guess the ertl ones prob the same,although i am sure someone on here will know for sure

are they to the same scale lengh and width RC2s cx bonnet to the UH Mc bonnet

????

Well finally managed to get around to trying this. Got the bonnet off both. CX80 bonnet staight forward as you described. To get the UH bonnet off however I had to remove the cab as the dash is screwed into the underside of the bonnet. Slight split in the windscreen now - doh!! Fit for scale but the UH casting will now have to be filed down a bit as the Britains bonnet is a thicker cast than the UH one. Looks good for scale. Hopefully get some more time to finish it off and post results sometime soon. :) :)