casting tractor cabs

IH885XLMAN

Question

is there an easy way to "copy " a cab i have aquired a lone star tractor with the secura cab what is the easiest way to cast it with resin (i still cant get my head around it )i can do simple things ike bonnets but cab casting goes over the the top of my head

ive got an idea with bonnets if you have an origional bonet i was thinking of using a clay base mould by pressing the origional into the clay thus making an impression of the bonnet then pouring ressin into your impression what do you think you could also do your own bonnet calve out of wood add plastic strips on it (international 784 easy )as for the low parts of the bonet cut plasicard up from the right scale i read a good tip on getting the 1.32 scale basicaly its the origional dimentions of the life size model ie real tractor then take all the mesurements from it then divide all the mesurements by 32 heypresto all your 1.32 mesurements

have any of you copyied origional (i mean produced ur own )cabs with latex  or plastersine also i thought of pressing the cab like left-front-right like finger printing the cab on latex or plastersine heres a cab i want to make

[attachment deleted by admin]

I used to make pre-cast concrete products, some using latex moulds, they worked out very expensive to make due to the size of them, I've bought some latex today and plan on trying to make some moulds over the next couple of weeks so I'll keep you informed. All I need now is a good source for resin, anyone come across any they can recommend?

I know my dad used to make moulds when he was in the fireside mantel business. He would create the master from wood then make a cast using dental plaster ( that used for making false teeth). I'll ask him if it a feasible option and if it was easy to get a hold of.

I got my latex from hobbycraft, ?11.99 for one litre. I'm not planning on doing any cabs with the latex, I think you would need a four, five or six part rigid mould for a tractor cab. Going on what I've been told by someone who does resin casting, there's a lot of work in making the moulds, far too much to warrant the time investment for a small production run.

hi

what trade secrets ?? , i have had to learn all i know, i have tried different resins and moulds , i don't use lates , i use silicone rubber , and plastic resin , these are bough trade sizes , the mould for the potato harvester cost ?65 in rubber alone..the rubber moulds last about 25 times depending on what it is that is cast ..

cab moulds i imake are in a 2 part mould , inside and outside , ( a simple pour mould or a squish mould)

i am doing some basic moulds tomorrow & casting , these are marston trailer back door & grain shoot so i will photo the set up and you can see what goes into it ..

dave

hi

what trade secrets ?? , i have had to learn all i know, i have tried different resins and moulds , i don't use lates , i use silicone rubber , and plastic resin , these are bough trade sizes , the mould for the potato harvester cost ?65 in rubber alone..the rubber moulds last about 25 times depending on what it is that is cast ..

cab moulds i imake are in a 2 part mould , inside and outside , ( a simple pour mould or a squish mould)

i am doing some basic moulds tomorrow & casting , these are marston trailer back door & grain shoot so i will photo the set up and you can see what goes into it ..

dave

I've been making a few sample moulds from latex rubber and it's a tedious exercise, as Someone told me it would be from the start when I asked for a little advice! I'm glad I don't need to think about a cab mould, let alone try to make one!! I'll stick to scratch building parts, and I consider myself to have a lot of patience....