At work with Gav

Gav836

UK Power Networks have also been out today installing a new transformer and housing along with installing underground cabling as the main feed for 3 villages passes across the front of the new shad so they want to move it and the transformer and poles we have in the yard at the moment, it is costing us £16k though.

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

Are you sure they were Polish Gav and not Dutch ;D

Definately Polish Niels, nothing Dutch about them other than the name on the van. They got told that they couldn't use any of their power tools on site as they were 240v and not 110v so had to go shopping ;D

makes you laugh, they want to move it, but it costs you eh gav, typical utillities company :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: guess it will make your life easier with the poles ect gone mind

They wouldn't have bothered moving it if it wasn't for the new barn though. We've been told that £16k is cheap for what they are doing too.

Definately Polish Niels, nothing Dutch about them other than the name on the van. They got told that they couldn't use any of their power tools on site as they were 240v and not 110v so had to go shopping ;D

Did you get any other quotes for ventilation or went straight to Omnivent?

• 2 weeks later...

The Polish guys from Omnivent finished the inside off at lunchtime today as well. There's still some green sheeting to go above the plywood on the centre partition yet.

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

The air intake fans in the tunnel at the back of the shed

IMG_0111.jpg

Our neighbour had a chap in leveling his tracks off so my boss asked if he could do our two worst ones as well while he was in the area. The 7480 is on a 12 plate, the trailed grader is made from the business end of an old Aveling Barford grader. He also has a vibrating roller but the low loader its on blew a hose as he went to leave the neighbors so I don't have any pictures of that.

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure where he abouts he was from Sean but I know he covers a large area with it.

Not been much going on lately at work but I have a few pictures here. I went into our oil store the other day to be greeted by the sight below, my boss is good at putting batteries on charge and forgetting about them, this is the result......just glad that no one was in there at the time

IMG_0117.jpg

My mate is back working with us now for harvest and the autumn, he went to use the topper yesterday and called me to say it was shaking the tractor, upon further inspection the bearings had an escessive amount of play in them and were on the verge of complete failure. Luckily we've caught them before that happened or it may have been a complete new gearbox needed instead of just bearings and seals. I think the final starw on the bearings was last years student running the boxes dry of oil for two days due to being to idle to check them.........

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

I have no objection of students who listen to and do as they are asked by people in charge of them. What however does annoy me about students, and this particularly applies to ag students, is that many of them think that because they have done a days ploughing here or an hours drilling there they are experienced in it and won't accept the fact that they are not and have only just played at it. I've come across some real arrogant know it all little sods with a massive ego and chip on their shoulder who think they know the lot and are unprepared to listen when people try to offer them advice and instead will just rant and rave about how unfair things are for them because they think older farm workers are picking on them, these are usually the same ones who have a list of employers as long as your arm by the age of 25. Sadly its this sort that give the good, honest keen to learn students (of which I am aware that there are a good number of) a bad name and make things harder for them in the long run.

many of them think that because they have done a days ploughing here or an hours drilling there they are experienced in it and won't accept the fact that they are not and have only just played at it. I've come across some real arrogant know it all little sods with a massive ego and chip on their shoulder who think they know the lot and are unprepared to listen when people try to offer them advice and instead will just rant and rave about how unfair things are for them because they think older farm workers are picking on them.

This is a pretty good description of about half of my college course.

We started irrigating last Monday and stopped again yesterday morning, since then we've had 25mm of rain so we'll be looking at next Wednesday/Thursday before we start again now unless we have anymore rain in the meantime.

Nope no new ones compared to way back in this topic. I only done it for the one morning just to refresh my mates memory of how it all works as he's going to be doing the bulk of it this year thankfully

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few more updated pictures for you all, I'll get some of the outside now this week as the exterior is just about finished.

Chiller units in place in the roof now, I had to lift the last two up for them using a hired in 14m JCB.....shame the controls aren't standard across their range as it came close to me tipping one of them off instead of pushing the boom out!!

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

Shutter doors now fitted, also insulated against the cold

IMG_0136.jpg

Middle partition wall all sheeted in and finished now

IMG_0137.jpg

Venting shutter control motors and mechanism fitted, the electricians are still in at the minute wiring everything up

IMG_0138.jpg

Been putting on alot of slug pellets this year on the potatoes due to the wet weather, those on the heavier land have now had two doses of 7.5kg per ha and the sandier fields have had 7.5kg per ha, we have another 400kg in the store to put on which will bring the heavier fields up to the maximum allowable dose of 22kg per ha per year. This is more of a prevention method at the moment to kill the young slugs before they start damaging the potato tubers. Plants are looking well all things considered though

IMG_0128.jpg

I also got sent for 12t of malt nuts for the cattle this week, its a god job the loader man underestimated what he'd put on me when you look at the figures on the weighbridge ticket or Mr Vosa may have been rather unhappy if I'd been pulled over

IMG_0124.jpg

I had this little fellow swoop on me while I was dropping the beet drill off in our old brick barn this week, certaily made me duck in a hurry when he flew across the barn at head height!!

IMG_0130.jpg