At work with Gav

Gav836

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I posted any updates in here so here we go......

Last years potato crop finally went at the end of July, not exactly stress free for everyone but luckily I missed most of it due to being on holiday.

We have a new toy for unloading the store so that we don't damage any of the ducts with the forklift. It's a dutch made store scooter which is self propelled and electrically powered, just steered by using two small joysticks and driven in and out of the heap to pick the spuds up.

IMG_0668_zps80a1d402.jpg

IMG_0671_zpsab41b8f3.jpg

We've also had to have a new irrigation pump control panel installed as the old one drew too much electricity to be able to use it at the same time as the fans and chillers in the potato store. The new one is an u to date "inverter" type which removes the need for the clayton pressure equalising valve by regulated the pump to the speed it needs to run at to operate just the one or both irrigators. It also removes the possibility of someone having a heart attack when the old panel engages with a sound like a shotgun going off, no matter how much you prepared yourself it got you everytime!!

The old panel

IMG_0662_zps92b3dc75.jpg

The new touch screen one

IMG_0665_zps47c990a9.jpg

Its also that time of year where the weed beet are showing with a vengeance, I was tasked with weed wiping Friday but in the end also put the hoe on the front to try and get the smaller ones that were between the rows.

IMG_0759_zps7f0b01ce.jpg

IMG_0760_zps7034a5f6.jpg

Before

IMG_0757_zps300aa1db.jpg

After

IMG_0758_zpsdcd70973.jpg

That seems to be the most popular name that's been used for it. There's a reason for that.......everything on the inside of the store IS Dutch designed, just waiting for Omnivent to come and sort out the complaints we have with it.

Hopefully Omnivent will sort you out. Usually are not a bad bunch to deal with? Have you got the ACT-40 computer in there as well.

Is your storage shed the odd one out or are there more in the area?

No, we've only got the more basic one, ACT-25 I think as there are only two areas to monitor. Any problems we've had so far have been dealt with reasonably quickly, some of the problems are through having the store built to a price though from what I can make out reading between the lines ::)

One of the neighbouring farms also had one build last year, a 4000t, 4 bay store with two bays on the left and two on the right along with a covered yard between them. There's is underfloor ducting though which seems much better in my opinion, easier to work with!

Aha I see, thanks. The ACT-25 isn't to bad as well. Do Omnivent all the sales, installation and service themselves or have a UK representative?

Underfloor ducting is indeed a lot easier, more storage space etc.. but costs more than you'd think. It does here anyway as you have to put concrete poles underneath everywhere. As long as you don't load with a telehandler the arcs are fine!

That is some of the problem, all sales and service staff are based in Holland with engineers spending 2 weeks here on a rota basis from memory.

I did unload some with the teleporter without damaging the ducts but then I'm a more gentle operator than the other chaps are........bit of scrap metal laying about and panel beating to do.

• 3 weeks later...

We started combining here on Friday afternoon, we'd been waiting for our new combine to arrive as we could have gone a day or so earlier. The grass seed was just fit to cut and we wanted to get it before we got the rain they were talking about, we've managed to get the stuff what was still upright but there's still 10 acres of laid stuff to combine. It seems to be yielding well both in seed and wrapped haylage bales but is a pig to get out of the combine tank as it bridges everywhere and needs a man with a stick to poke it out every tank full. Half the problem is everything has paint on it still so the crop can't flow very well.

On with the pictures, this is our new 2013 13 reg John Deere W540 with 618r header which replaced our 19 year old 2058. Its a much better combine and you can actually get crop to feed in the front better!

IMG_0789_zps6454ba0d.jpg

IMG_0784_zps82ad3cc7.jpg

IMG_0786_zps4110d8fd.jpg

IMG_0788_zpsdf961c07.jpg

IMG_0787_zpsd2b5fb66.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Some very interesting reading  on this thread  & some nice kit you have there  on the farm , but   whats happend to the potatoes shovel  i had to  used  >:(   i know the real name but we cant find the right spelling  for it ::)

• 7 months later...

After several months of searching I'm now leaving my current job to go and work for a hedge and verge cutting contractor based near to where my partner lives. The relationship between myself and the farm manager where I am now has been strained for a while now for various reasons, he's been acting as if everything is normal but I can't forgive or forget his last outburst at me, it wasn't the first time either.

From mid May I will be driving a 2011 John Deere 6230 fitted with a Bomford Falcon 6 meter reach hedge cutter for 10 months of the year in future now doing a task that I've always enjoyed and working set hours so I can actually plan my life outside work.

• Like 2

Good luck with the job gav mate, you have got a deere to drive- lovely jubbly. Do yourself a favour on your last day, smash the manager one in the chops and sit him on his backside. This will make you feel good about having to move on to pastures new.

• Like 1

Not my style Chris as tempting as it may be at times. Looking like a friend of mine will be taking my place so keeping on good terms here as he may need my help with how to operate one or two of the machines I use.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, 10 months using a hedge cutter starting on verges in May, June and July before moving onto hedges from July onwards.

Thanks Tris, always have had trouble with that one.....

• Like 1