At work with Gav

Gav836

Superb Gavvers... how long does it take to fill the trailer then mate ???

Cheers Marky, it was taking about 30 mins tops to fill a trailer on that field, taking 45-60 mins on the field we're on now as its shorter ends and a poorer crop

great video mate  ;) very clear, was it done with a phone or camera?

Cheers, Nikon Coolpix L16 camera ;)

Splended video :)

I thought that you might enjoy it :);)

Cheers guys.

These spuds are all grown for the crisping industry as far as I'm aware Rick, for those based this side of the water the company we grow them through is Greenvale AP who in turn supply Walkers. There was about 55 acres of Saturna and 50 acres of Pentland Dell

Never knew that Reekie did toppers Gav, something from my neck of the woods eh........ ;) ;)

Its a badge engineered jobby Mart, will get the real maker off the badge for you tomorrow :);)

How you enjoying harvesting Gav?

There dosn't seem to be a lot of clear view of the main web on the harvester? The topper looks like a Basilier,marketed now by standen pearson if i'm not mistaken.

When you are done there you will have to get over to us, we have another 350-400 acres to go yet!

Its not too bad James, bit of a pain this year though as they had a young lad on the seperator spring time aparently and he was more interested in another sort of bed with his new girlfriend than doing a good job on the spud beds ::) lots of stones, shallow soil in places, its a nightmare at times. You're right though there isn't much of a clear view of the main web, in fact its a struggle to see the left hand sides flow when you're sitting facing right for the trailers :-\ Its not a Baselier, I know its a two word name but I can't think of it at the minute.

I think I'll leave that to you and your three harvesters as I need to get my big wheels back on and bust up all the spud fields ready to drill wheat into them :D :D

Hi Gavin, great pictures reflecting a very interesting insider's point of view. I like this Standen "Vision" very much, looks in immaculate condition, although it can not be new regarding the green colour design?

Are this row-crop wheels on the harvesting John Deere? (If not: how does the driver manage not to drive over the potato beds before the moment of harvest?) The wheels look broader than row-crop wheels but smaller than standard wheels to me?

Hi Sascha, thanks for the comments. The Vision is a 1999 machine and has had a hard life before coming to us, it is number 10 off the production line and was one of 2 working on a neighbouring farm lifting 1000 acres between them roughly in any ground condition.

Yes the back wheels on my tractor are row-crop wheels, we replace the original 20 inch ones with 16 inch wide row crops that are paired to the everday 16 inch front wheels on the tractor so the fronts stay the same. With the UK system of planting into destoned beds we can get away with a slightly wider tyre than you would there where you plant straight into harrowed fields ;):)

I most certainly am having fun, Started on the Dell now and they are enormous spuds, not taking long to fill a trailer at all. It would be more than one person could eat as a baked spud the size they are :o:D :D

Certainly is dry, having to blow the tractor radiator out daily now due to the dust from the haulm topper