At work with Gav

Gav836

You wouldn't get any plough to match up very well on that field Colm, un cultivated potato land so very uneven, was level enough anyway even if it wasn't matching well. Looking like it will be a Lemken plough coming home anyway ;D

6810 doesn't know it has the drill most of the time, only putting 500kg in it instead of the 1500kg I have in it

Cheers Murray

Great pics Gavvers... I could spend a day with you and learn a hell of a lot I reckon mate...

How to drive in a dead straight line for a start  :o:D :D

First thing mate, pic a line in the hedge straight in front or use a marker pole.... or mark from poland in your case??

The resist the temptation to look backwards and by the end you shold have a straight line......

You try that on Salisbury Plain when every other bush keeps moving and you find out it was an army truck by the time you have chased it across the top headland!!  :D :D

or on a hilly field  too ...oh and don,t focus on a cow or sheep as they move  :D

We have a self employed chap working with us at the minute as my colleague has been off sick since the Tuesday before Christmas when he fell off the top of a grain trailer whilst trying to free the jammed roll over sheet, result was bad brusing and a crushed bone in his spine, he might be back in 6 weeks, he might not. 6810 is a damn good pulling tractor but not as tidy as it looks when you get close up, its a stockmans tractor................ ::):D :D

Its the run about but does the potato planting and irrigation as its main jobs. We have 3 main tractors, the 6920s, 6420s and 6810 along with an old MF135 which hardly gets used except for hay turning. Most used vehicle has to be the JCB 526s though

Yes we do Pete, its an older JD, there's some pics of it in here somewhere :)

Been pressing on with ploughing ground for spring barley this week, well since Wednesday when it had dried out a bit. Gave up ploughing today to Terra Disc in front of the drill as the field I ploughed Wednesday had baked hard so it wouldn't break up into a seed bed, the joys of growing sugarbeet on wet heavy land >:(

Image095-1.jpg

Couple of videos of the 6810 drilling for those that love the bark of the 6 pot lump in them

th_Video007.jpg

th_Video008.jpg

I have about 150 acres left to plough, 25 are behind spuds, 54 behind stubble turnips/Swift and the rest are behind sugar beet, all are wet fields. I then have 100 acres of ploughing to pull down for sugar beet and 150 acres of land to cultivate, sub soil and bed-form for spuds so lots to do, just needs to keep drying out

I have about 150 acres left to plough, 25 are behind spuds, 54 behind stubble turnips/Swift and the rest are behind sugar beet, all are wet fields. I then have 100 acres of ploughing to pull down for sugar beet and 150 acres of land to cultivate, sub soil and bed-form for spuds so lots to do, just needs to keep drying out

you will be flat out then Gav, The weather is good up here but the ground is taking forever and a day to dry out, dry on the top soaking down below

Normally we would plough and press but the fields are so wet on top and hard beneath that I can't pull the press as well sensibly, having to plough well ahead of the drill as well so the fields can dry out a bit, just not drying out otherwise

Normally we would plough and press but the fields are so wet on top and hard beneath that I can't pull the press as well sensibly, having to plough well ahead of the drill as well so the fields can dry out a bit, just not drying out otherwise

We're the opposite - drying on top nicely but like jelly underneath  :)

Started breaking down yesterday myself - still quite wet on top but soil is nicely weathered compared to last year so breaking up nicely - hopefully Dad will give it another run today and we shall see then what it is like ;)

Well as its been nice and dry here we've been pushing on with spring drilling, the latest bit has been cultivated then subsoiled before drilling as the plough is in a really bad way. Been giving the 6920s a workout on a 5 leg Cousins V-Form at 10 inches deep, it knows it is there thats for certain ;D

6420s spraying the field with Round-up to kill the meadow grass before drilling

DSCN0632.jpg

DSCN0633.jpg

6920s and V-Form

DSCN0639.jpg

DSCN0638.jpg

New metal needed after 8 hectares ::)

DSCN0640.jpg

Video of the 6420s on a Kongskilde Vibroflex cultivating

th_DSCN0641.jpg

We also turned the first of the cows out with their calves onto grazing rye, they were on grass for a couple of days first but we are unable to put any fertiliser on the meadows due to the area they are in so always have to look at alternitives for an early turnout

DSCN0635.jpg