At work with Gav

Gav836

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few pictures of what I've been up to recently, have been in today to finish ploughing the last bit of winter barley ground before cracking on with getting the potato harvester ready this week. My 6920s is on row crops at the minute for topping the potatoes so I've been ploughing with the 6910 which is up to the job again after having a new 3 point hitch cross shaft fitted

005-27.jpg

004-30.jpg

001-31.jpg

002-33.jpg

003-28.jpg

We've also had the Case Puma 165 CVX on demo, I had it for one day ploughing and my mate and the boss shared it for a day drilling, we were all quite impressed with it but I personally prefer its blue equivelant from an operators point of view. Unlike the New Holland you can't tell the buttons apart by feel on the multi controller so its very easy to hit the wrong one when not looking at it which is a pain in the backside

002-32.jpg

003-27.jpg

004-29.jpg

006-24.jpg

007-20.jpg

Just to add more interest this week the Fendt 718 turned up an hour after the Case Puma did so I had that for most of the week, was impressed with how well it handled the subsoiler and how little diesel it used in the process, considerably less than my John Deere would to cover the same field, 350 litres to cover 26 hectares

002-32.jpg

003-27.jpg

004-29.jpg

Yeah it would be, the Fendt has sold itself to me particularly with the front linkage controls, it would make haulm topper operation so much easier as the front linkage is controlled in exactly the same way as the rear so no messing about with spool valves for height control

Interesting updates Gavalar... I do like the sound of the case's exhaust I must say... and the look of your ploughing as always mate  :P

Fendt seems like a lovely machine... although one of my customers reckons that his a a little over-rated for the price... he's gone back to blue now after having 2 fendts... he's also got a tracked machine or two mind you

why would we want to replace a 5 year old tractor with a 7 -10 year old one in which the auto power transmissions were just as suspect if not more so ::)  The whole idea is we want to upgrade to a new tractor possibly with auto guidance

why would we want to replace a 5 year old tractor with a 7 -10 year old one in which the auto power transmissions were just as suspect if not more so ::)  The whole idea is we want to upgrade to a new tractor possibly with auto guidance

you may buy a fendt then, splash the cash seems to be the only one to keep up with your specfications.  ;)

so you fancy auto guidence then gav?? any reason for that or just fancy being a bit lazy while driving her what ever you get

No lazyness involved Sean, its cost saving. As I do the bed forming the auto guidance would make all the beds a uniform size saving overlap and underlap with sprays, we'd look at getting a universal system though that could be swapped onto the 6810/6910 for drilling as well as it could save us a fortune in seed.

Yeah they do 2 or 3 different options, had a look at the Topcon one they offer at the Norfolk Show, on auto guide ready tractors it can plug into the tractors own steering system, thats on any brand not just AGCO group but on others that aren't auto guide ready you can unbolt the original steering wheel and swap it for a motor driven one operated by the eye in the sky which looked like the best system for us