At work with Gav

Gav836

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We've had our first beet of the year lifted yesterday so I've been ploughing behind them, I can't ever remember the ground being so dry at this time of the year before, its so hard and dry under the surface that the plough points are too hot to touch when they come out of the ground!

My Case has had a slight technical fault on it yesterday afternoon with the diff-lock solenoid meaning that the diff-lock was stuck on despite me not using it so I had the 6910 on the plough until lunch time today when it was all sorted.

DSCN2054.jpg

DSCN2055.jpg

DSCN2057.jpg

Back on the Puma at this point which ended up getting plastered in crap thanks to this lot >:(

DSCN2061.jpg

Its the first one thats caused any hold ups. It had an O-ring blow during harvest due to two of them being fitted to a bung instead of one during manufacture, it did have to be towed back to the yard last Friday due to it failing to select forward or reverse when I pulled out onto the road a short distance from the yard, that has been an intermittant fault for about 10 weeks now, usually just loses reverse though. The dealers engineer has a rough idea whats causing it but they are waiting for a response from Case on the subject and for us to finish ploughing with the tractor before taking it in to change the faulty switch.

Lovely photos, although work is being done it looks quiet. .. Now, I don't mean that in a work load way but the Vervaet is plodding up and down on his own, one tractor and trailer keeping up nicely, Gav's turning the soil over. . ... It just sets a nice scene if you see what I mean.  :) :)

gav,can i ask,the picture with all the seagulls you are ploughing at an angle ,the other pictures you are ploughing normally,why the 2 methods?

Ideally I would be ploughing at an angle to the beet harvester all the time but in the first field the side hedges are parallel to each other so the only way to do it is at 90 degrees to the beet, this was the original plan but with heavy rain being forecast we daren't wait for the harvester to finish the field. The last time that field was beet 3 years ago the harvester actually got stuck in it at this time of year so that field can be very wet. Its nigh on impossible to plough the ground over level how I was doing it there as the plogh wheel drops in all the harvester wheelings so not really recommended practice but needs must

Ideally I would be ploughing at an angle to the beet harvester all the time but in the first field the side hedges are parallel to each other so the only way to do it is at 90 degrees to the beet, this was the original plan but with heavy rain being forecast we daren't wait for the harvester to finish the field. The last time that field was beet 3 years ago the harvester actually got stuck in it at this time of year so that field can be very wet. Its nigh on impossible to plough the ground over level how I was doing it there as the plogh wheel drops in all the harvester wheelings so not really recommended practice but needs must

got you gav,thanks for the reply

We've had our first beet of the year lifted yesterday so I've been ploughing behind them, I can't ever remember the ground being so dry at this time of the year before, its so hard and dry under the surface that the plough points are too hot to touch when they come out of the ground!

My Case has had a slight technical fault on it yesterday afternoon with the diff-lock solenoid meaning that the diff-lock was stuck on despite me not using it so I had the 6910 on the plough until lunch time today when it was all sorted.

And so it all begins..... ;):P

I have the year on year bills for it here up until 30/4/2010 and by the looks of it it wasn't trouble free back then either with a few parts failures on there, the 09/10 costs were almost 8 times that of the 05/06 ones though :of

I have the year on year bills for it here up until 30/4/2010 and by the looks of it it wasn't trouble free back then either with a few parts failures on there, the 09/10 costs were almost 8 times that of the 05/06 ones though :of

father-in-law drives a jd 6920 and reckons it spends more time at the dealers than in the fields ,good job they still got the old 4255

After ploughing our last 2.5ha for wheat this morning I have spent the rest of the day renewing metal on the plough and giving it a greae up before starting on ploughing next years beet land in the morning.

Fitted to the plough were:

10 Landsides

10 Landside Wedges

10 One Way Points

10 Shares

10 Shins

40 M10 Nuts & Bolts

64 M12 Nuts and Bolts

Should be ok for a few more acres now ;D

147.jpg

146.jpg