Something for the old crusties... Anyone remember these ???

Hi Marky u not so young whippa snappa its crusty old Brian here When I was young in the fens you had to drive a least 70 miles to find a hedge not alone something to cut it with,so its a bit of a stupid question aint it

:D :D Hang on a minute Brian... They hadn't DRAINED the Fens when you were a whipper snapper  ;D

Drive.... did you mean... Row  ;D:-*:-* :-*

so when are you going to open a museum then marky ?

how cool would it be if you could have the brochure & then trackdown the actual machine to go with it  :)

there must be hundreds of these oddities around the country, just forgotten in a corner or left to rot in the brambles  :(

so when are you going to open a museum then marky ?

how cool would it be if you could have the brochure & then trackdown the actual machine to go with it  :)

there must be hundreds of these oddities around the country, just forgotten in a corner or left to rot in the brambles  :(

Wouldn't that be great Marcus.... like you say.. we have some real "oddball" items now... that's what I love about mechanised farming... so many weird and wonderful machines.. especially in the early days...

Just think of the man hours that went into designing... making and prefecting some of these wacky labour saving devices  :o

it does make you wonder how long these little machines lasted before it was superseded by the next best thing ,. back then it was all new & fandangled , now items are out of date before they hit production lines .

would have been good to hear comments from workers of the day

as chap goes off to get his horse , grumbling,* trecters  whas wan a trecter fer ? ah they'm nevr goina take aff* :D :D

I have seen one similar to this, made by a company called Marples, if my memory serves me well. I haven't actually used one, but we took it in p/ex when I worked for Sussex Tractors. From memory the cutter bar was of a slightly different design and made in aluminium. It was quite light to hold for a short period of time but probably felt like lead by the end of the day. ::)

I also have a Teagle hand held hedge cutter in my garage, ie the pole type with a two stroke engine on it. One day I'll get round to restoring it along with my Mk 2 Tranny camper and Albion lorry. :-\ :(