Ford 8340SLE and 8240SLE......

NewHolland2

My local New Holland dealer currently has the following two models in stock which I am interested in......The 8340 has 8800 hours and the 8240 has 5700 hours......Both are K Reg examples and look to be in pretty good condition going by the website pics......Both also have front Linkage......

I was just wondering what prices these might command as to be honest I don't know how much I've got at the minute but it may be worth trying a deposit or arrange something to perhaps secure one of these as they both look pretty good......

Cheers for any help lads...... :) :) :);)

Mart

My local New Holland dealer currently has the following two models in stock which I am interested in......The 8340 has 8800 hours and the 8240 has 5700 hours......Both are K Reg examples and look to be in pretty good condition going by the website pics......Both also have front Linkage......

I was just wondering what prices these might command as to be honest I don't know how much I've got at the minute but it may be worth trying a deposit or arrange something to perhaps secure one of these as they both look pretty good......

Cheers for any help lads...... :) :) :);)

Mart

Forget the 8340 Martin, yes it may be a good tractor but do you really want something with that many hours on, especially an early example? Price wise I would imagine between ?7000 and ?9000 going by prices down here and don't forget that the prices that they qoute will need the dreaded VAT added to them :-\

Are you going to let us have a look at the pictures then ???::)

Wouldn't bother with eather as they are getting too old as life expectancy for the electronics is dodgy and could start to get very expensive when the computers go bye bye    Better off buying a 7810 and enjoying yourself ;)

when Ford 1st built this range of tractors quality control was none exsistent due to a change in practice at the factory the chances are any problems would have been sorted out but they really are a poor tractor compared to what else is around try and find a Case IH 1455 now theres a tractor that was built to last and work ;)

when Ford 1st built this range of tractors quality control was none exsistent due to a change in practice at the factory the chances are any problems would have been sorted out but they really are a poor tractor compared to what else is around try and find a Case IH 1455 now theres a tractor that was built to last and work ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140094599515&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

Cheers lads......Here's the two of them......

8340 first then 8240...... :) :) :);)

I did think the 8340 seemed to have pretty high hours Gav......

In terms of being poor tractors, I do know of plenty contractors that have and some that still do use them so they can't be so bad surely?

I know there are plenty other decent options out there but for a Ford man on my budget wouldn't a 40 range machine be best?

post-32-13263857539_thumb.jpg

post-32-132638575401_thumb.jpg

Cheers lads......Here's the two of them......

8340 first then 8240...... :) :) :);)

I did think the 8340 seemed to have pretty high hours Gav......

In terms of being poor tractors, I do know of plenty contractors that have and some that still do use them so they can't be so bad surely?

I know there are plenty other decent options out there but for a Ford man on my budget wouldn't a 40 range machine be best?

I would certainly say stick to a 40 series but try to find a later blue roofed one as they are less likely to suffer from problems, the 2 7840's at work are a P and R reg and have been no trouble despite the tweaking. A 7840 may be just as good a buy as a 8340 and command a bit less money ;):)

i guess the only way you will know for deff is to go and lok at them mate,would your boss go with you ?? might be good to have an experianced set of eyes there to, help you out, ask any questions you hadnt thought of ect

There won't be enough time for my current boss to look at them but perhaps the boss at the other farm might be able to mate......Would certainly be useful to have someone there with even more knowledge than myself...... :) :)

I would certainly say stick to a 40 series but try to find a later blue roofed one as they are less likely to suffer from problems, the 2 7840's at work are a P and R reg and have been no trouble despite the tweaking. A 7840 may be just as good a buy as a 8340 and command a bit less money ;):)

Cheers Gav......Would blue roof 7840's be around the same price do you think mate? The one's I've seen certainly don't seem too over priced for my range...... :);)

There won't be enough time for my current boss to look at them but perhaps the boss at the other farm might be able to mate......Would certainly be useful to have someone there with even more knowledge than myself...... :) :)

Cheers Gav......Would blue roof 7840's be around the same price do you think mate? The one's I've seen certainly don't seem too over priced for my range...... :);)

no matter what you buy mart, some dealers will try to rip of a new lad/guy to the bussiness, so the more knowledge and help you get the better, can always remember a new young salesman at the fergy dealer the farm used trying to feed them some bull about a 690 they were looking at, he asumed they had never owned a fergy before, and hadnt seen them before either, they tore him to shreds,as we already had 2 of them from new , i guess its thier job to shift them out so they will try anything sometimes

No offence Mart, but definitely take someone with you who knows the tractors.....even pay an engineer to check all the known points for you - ?50 spent now could save you a pile in the long run.  ;)  ( I do, if I'm unfamiliar with a piece of kit...)

No offence Mart, but definitely take someone with you who knows the tractors.....even pay an engineer to check all the known points for you - ?50 spent now could save you a pile in the long run.  ;)  ( I do, if I'm unfamiliar with a piece of kit...)

Very wise words John, unfortunately my old boss never done that and came back with useless things at times or ones needing a lot of work :-\

?50 now wouldn't even cover the first hours labour at main dealers prices these days if something major went wrong :(

• 2 weeks later...

Have to agree with all the comments above judging by what the local lads have - 7840 is bombproof especially in non turboed spec but out of the 2 above I'd go for the 8240 unless there is a guarantee with the 8340 that the gearbox has been reconditioned recently as when you get up to those kind of hours that is the first thing that acts up. Apparently our neighbour bought a NH 8340 with 6k hours from England 18 months ago and within a month he had to get the top of the gearbox (selectors) etc done and it cost him ?600 for parts that would fit in one hand and that's without getting them fitted  :o