Horse Drawn Equipment.

powerrabbit

Horese drawn farm equipment seems to have been overlooked a little and in earlier times Britain's and other manufacturers produced some lovely models from pre-tractor days in hollow-cast lead and diecast.

I know that a few pictures of these have been posted elsewere on here but here are a few from my collection.

Up first is the 8F Farm Rake, Horse & Driver from 1955. This one has the solid drivers seat, the pre-war issue had holes in the seat.

HorseRake.jpg

This one is the 4F Tipping Tumbrel Cart With Horse from 1955. (Should have a farm hand as well, I will find one sometime). The tailboard lifts out.

HorseTippingCart.jpg

Next is the 45F Farm Cart & Horse from 1955.

This cart has a board bottom which can be 'knockd out'.

HorseButtCart.jpg

This one is 9F Horse & Roller from 1955. It also should have a farm hand. The first of these rollers had a solid roller, this is the second type having seperate 'rings.

HorseRoller.jpg

This last pic is of three lead hollow-cast horses from the same period showing some variations. There are still loads of these horses about and in good condition. These can be found for as little as ?1 each and are not difficult to re-paint. Horses with holes each side are for the carts etc, horses with additional holes each side of their mouth are ploughing horses, subtle difference but important if building up a set.

3Horses.jpg

Nice stuff there Powerrabbit.

I draw the line at 1965(ish) as the starting point for my collection but Mrs TOG is a "horse person" and I could see her collecting those  :)

Interesting that you repaint them. You don't treat them like potential antiques but restore them like we would with an older tractor.

Nice stuff there Powerrabbit.

I draw the line at 1965(ish) as the starting point for my collection but Mrs TOG is a "horse person" and I could see her collecting those  :)

Interesting that you repaint them. You don't treat them like potential antiques but restore them like we would with an older tractor.

I restore them because the cheap ones usually don't have much paint left on them or they have been so over-painted that it is difficult to see any of the finer detail and in my veiw a horse should look like a horse, as with the other cast animals and figures. I only buy ones that are intact as lead figures are practically imposible to repair, it's ok if a leg is a little bent but serious bends are hard to straighten as 99.9% of the time they end up breaking.

Hi pr

Thanks for posting :)

You probably know some of this but I thought I would emblished for those that don't know :)

The roller that you have is the 1st version as it has the wire going over the horse(some went through the horse) The second version had the 2 piece roller and nubs on the inside of the shaft. The horse on the bottom right is not Britains though, theirs does look similar. The plough horses didn't have as much tackle on them, just a bridle, collar and a girth strap. Oh and the little cart with spoked wheels should be pulled by a different horse more of a thin cob type horse :):)

Hi pr

Thanks for posting :)

You probably know some of this but I thought I would emblished for those that don't know :)

The roller that you have is the 1st version as it has the wire going over the horse(some went through the horse) The second version had the 2 piece roller and nubs on the inside of the shaft. The horse on the bottom right is not Britains though, theirs does look similar. The plough horses didn't have as much tackle on them, just a bridle, collar and a girth strap. Oh and the little cart with spoked wheels should be pulled by a different horse more of a thin cob type horse :):)

The horse that's supposed to pull the small cart is, like you say, a smaller thinner brown horse, more like a 'thouroughbred. Yes, the draught horses all look very simmilar, again, as you point out, the Charbens and Timpo ones are slightly different but are not always recognisable as most lead hollow cast ones never had a manufacturers name under their belly, earlier Britain's ones that were marked usually just had I believe 'London England' on them and of course there were 'Hill & Co' or 'Johillco' ones as well, must not forget 'Timpo'. Could go on forever, It's quite a wide and varied subject.

Hi PR

Some nice models, good to see :)

The small cart is 40F, the milkfloat is 45F. The cardboard base probably means it is prewar, your version is also fitted with the wheels more usually found on the farmers gig. Latter versions used the front, small, wheels from the 4 wheeled wagon or, as 126F, rubber tyres. Moving into the plastic era the numbers changed to the 950- series :)

I bought the milk float and roller along with a boxed elevator,boxed 135 industrial,boxed trees and a mint unboxed 5000.There were also a load of loose animals from the same period (late 1960s).I think I paid quite a lot for it all but I can't remember exactly.

Good to see the solid roller 1972Farming. I presume the roller is a 'split' roller.

This one pictured here is not strictly horse drawn but seems to be a 'transition' model from horse to tractor. I am not 100% sure that it is definitely a Britain's one as there are no markings or lettering on it but everything about it reeks of Britain's. You will notice that the frame has been cast to attach to a tractor by bringing the shafts together and casting in a ring, this is definitely not a conversion as the frame is a single casting, notice the crescent shape in the front centre of the frame representing a seat.

Difficult to catagorise, is it horse drawn or tractor? Be nice to hear your comments and oppinions on this one.

Roller.jpg

I've seen one of those before I am sure....probably crescent or charbens. I would say for a tractor, probably they just modified the horse-drawn version to save on production costs.

I'm not 100% sure myself but I doubt it is Crescent as this roller is 1/32nd and exactly the same as the Britain's one all bar the front end. Have to keep an eye out for one in a box to verify manufacturer.

I'm not 100% sure myself but I doubt it is Crescent as this roller is 1/32nd and exactly the same as the Britain's one all bar the front end. Have to keep an eye out for one in a box to verify manufacturer.

I'd have a look at again at the Britains one pw they are not at all alike, unless you mean a different one ?