The New Landy... Marky F's brief review

I had the "all new" Landy out for the day today... and I have to say I am REALLY impressed with it... Much improved on the older model...

First up... a pic of the outside... note the "lump" in the bonnet... thats because the new Transit engine won't fit under the old style bonnet... I'm assuming it will work the same way under water as the older one did... ie.. when you start to bury it under water it moves the water away from the windscreen making a "bonnet bowwave" all of it's own... I couldn't find a puddle deep enough today to test it in  :D :D ::)

post-292-132638593372_thumb.jpg

The all new dash board (pic to follow) does away with the "air conditioning" flaps all us Landy drivers know and love  :o :'( :'( :'(

Mosquito dicers they are also known as  :D :D :D

Shame really... the rushing air and noise is all part of the old landrover experience in my opinion  :'(

post-292-132638593383_thumb.jpg

As promised.... the new dash... now don;t get me wrong... it is a great improvement... but once again we have lost that traditional clutter tray that we all fill up within minutes of landy ownership... I guess new owners will have to be tidier in future  :D :D :D

post-292-132638593386_thumb.jpg

The all new dash board (pic to follow) does away with the "air conditioning" flaps all us Landy drivers know and love  :o :'( :'( :'(

Mosquito dicers they are also known as  :D :D :D

Shame really... the rushing air and noise is all part of the old landrover experience in my opinion  :'(

i see the wipers are as good as ever

Now then... the important bit... driving....

New six speed box... and what a dream that is... very precise... very smooth to use... as for the engine... well all I can say is.. Tooooooorquey or what  :o - One of my old Landys run around 200bhp... I would say this new model pulls very much to that level in all honesty... she's very highly reliant on the turbo... but when that spins up you can really feel the boost come on.. she sucks so well when she does boost you can hear it rushing through the wing grill intake  :o :o :o

Suspension seems to be a little soggier than Mrs F's Landy... but hers is a station wagon.. and this one was a van... so that maybe a factor... it was a little spongy on the bends but I wouldn't mark it down too much for that... perhaps the tyres make a difference as well... this one was running on bog standard skinnys as well...

I do like the more quality feel of the gear levers and dash dials as well... the clock has been relocated to the middle... but still no rev counter  >:(

post-292-132638593389_thumb.jpg

Finally... the HUGE  ::) - loadspace area.. still the same...  :D :D

In summary... I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY like the new Landy... not sure if I have the pennies to invest in one right now (well.. take on the finance at least  :D )... but I am confident I will be having one sometime in the future.. perhaps when the "new gremlins" have be ironed out a little as well... I fancy a truck cab version... not so practical as a station wagon.. but a great workshorse and a real fun vehicle to own...

I was sad to give it back..

As for Mrs F... she didn't like it as much as her current one  ::)>:(::)>:(::)>:(::)>:(::)>:( - More work to do on her before I get one as well...  :D :D :D :D

post-292-132638593392_thumb.jpg

You finally got to have a play with one then Marky :D :D Think I may have to go and have a look at one myself at my dealers, not that I can afford to upgrade my one at the minute. Like you say I think i'll give it a good couple of years before I think about getting one of these new ones as well, skip the td5 and jump to these ones, should be a few more about then ;D

You finally got to have a play with one then Marky :D :D Think I may have to go and have a look at one myself at my dealers, not that I can afford to upgrade my one at the minute. Like you say I think i'll give it a good couple of years before I think about getting one of these new ones as well, skip the td5 and jump to these ones, should be a few more about then ;D

I reckon you are right there Gav... I will be keeping an eye on the "common faults" that arrise on these babys... They still have that STUPID STUPID DANGEROUS overrun thing built in when throttling off to change gear... it's supposed to be kinder on the transmition power train.. but it's bloody annoying if you ask me  >:(

I reckon you are right there Gav... I will be keeping an eye on the "common faults" that arrise on these babys... They still have that STUPID STUPID DANGEROUS overrun thing built in when throttling off to change gear... it's supposed to be kinder on the transmition power train.. but it's bloody annoying if you ask me  >:(

Whats that? Don't have that on a 300tdi ;D::)

I take it that they still have absolutely no room at the side and you cannot fit your arm comfortably down the side of the seat when driving - keep banging your elbow on the door?

So what you are saying is that Land Rover finally got around to doing what Santana did to their version years ago i.e.- putting in an Iveco (Ford) engine and a decent dash.

Only Santana also moved the driving position so you don't have to have one shoulder hanging out the window, and at a lot less money than the current Defender.

thats whats going to repalce the scooby eh mate, mmmm recon youd be better with one of those wildcat landys if its speed you want

:D :D :D that would be nice... only about 40000 reasons why I can't have one as well  :o:D :D :D :'(

:D :D :D that would be nice... only about 40000 reasons why I can't have one as well  :o:D :D :D :'(

1 it a land rover (chesley tractor )

2 lucky to get to asda and back on a tank of deisel

3 you would look silly in it

4 it dosent come in massey clours (unless re painted )would not look good

5 you would only pull a cow in it

6 only farmers that think there farmers but only have 10 acres have one to look big 

the list goes on

Get a grip marky your only buying a name brand.......here is something worth having and only 10 k

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwww yuck, I'd have the Landy over that any day Rick ;D:D :D