Cb aerial

Jamie

Question

15 answers to this question

any one got any good ideas how to make em??

Get a thin pice off wire and wrap it around something like a 2-3mm drill bit to make the spring at the bottom then leave a straight length to the required length ;):)

u got any ideas how to make some beacons to?

I was looking at something for that the other week in a model railway shop but couldn't find them on saurday when I went in again :-\ (no i'm not a train man but they are the only local Plastruct stockist ::) )

small beads used for neckless making should do for beacons,they deff do orange see through ones, i have a set for my fergys jere from a person on here, and i have seen them to since, they do different sizes /and shapes, just put a bit of wire into the hole through it, and done

any one got any good ideas how to make em??

This may be a little technical but I used to make all mine.  What you need to know is that the Citizens Band is 27Mhz and the pysical length of the radio wave is 11 metres, so in order to make an antenna you must work in fractions of or multiples of that length, for example, a 'full-wave' is 11 metres, a 'half-wave is 5.5 metres and a 'quarter-wave' is 2.75 metres. In order to make the antenna you start off with the EXACT length of, let's say copper wire, and make a coil, the coil size/length depends on the total length of your wire and this coil allows you to make the antenna to your required physical length, make sure that the coils of the wire do not physically touch each other unless the wire is sheathed otherwise this would prevent the radio 'signal' following the entire length of wire. At the connection point of your coaxial cable, the centre core of that cable is to connect to your antenna and the outer copper sheathing is the 'ground' which contacts the vehicle or the mounting point of the antenna that bolts to your mounting point acting as a seperate earth, this is what gives you your 'groundplane' and wave reflection/deflection.

The coaxial cable, for optimum performance should also be measured in relation to the '11 metre rule'. When you've got it all connected up and your 'rig' is powered on, you then, as you know, have to tune your antenna, I'm sure you know how to use the SWR (standing wave ratio) meter so I won't go into chapter and verse on that but if you got it right on wire length you should be ok, if the reading on the meter is a bit high (optimum average reading across all channels 1.5 ) just take off the smallest lentgh at the top of the antenna and take another reading, remember, if you take off too much, you can't put it back!

Hope I hav'nt bored you and blinded you with science and that it helps. Best of luck with it.

i think he means in 1/32nd powerrabbit mate  ;):D  :D   :D   :D :D :D :D   :D :D

Well, everyone will know how to make a real one now as well!  ;)  I agree, coiled bit of wire with a straight bit.