Howard Big Baler.

britainswomble

I suppose this should really be in the nostalgia section.

Does anyone remember the Howard Big balers that came out in the seventies. Does anyone have a leaflet on them they could post up. Howard also had a special grab for their bales and having just looked at the Freeman Baler reminded me of them. I haven't seen one for years and wonder if someones got one they still use or tucked away in the back of a barn somewhere.

They were the first company to offer a big baler, and were rather crude. They gathered the crop in a chamber that had a fixed rear door and used that to compress the crop against. The chamber had a steel frame with heavy Keruin boards around it. I can't remember how the bale was ejected though. The big problem was uneven density and in short crops the bales often fell apart, but they were brave enough to try out the idea long before anyone else.

There were large round balers like the Farmhand Vermeer type available and they worked much better..

By the way, have you ever spent a day baling with a manual tie round baler. Makes you really appreciate modern technology ;)

I suppose this should really be in the nostalgia section.

Does anyone remember the Howard Big balers that came out in the seventies. Does anyone have a leaflet on them they could post up. Howard also had a special grab for their bales and having just looked at the Freeman Baler reminded me of them. I haven't seen one for years and wonder if someones got one they still use or tucked away in the back of a barn somewhere.

They were the first company to offer a big baler, and were rather crude. They gathered the crop in a chamber that had a fixed rear door and used that to compress the crop against. The chamber had a steel frame with heavy Keruin boards around it. I can't remember how the bale was ejected though. The big problem was uneven density and in short crops the bales often fell apart, but they were brave enough to try out the idea long before anyone else.

There were large round balers like the Farmhand Vermeer type available and they worked much better..

By the way, have you ever spent a day baling with a manual tie round baler. Makes you really appreciate modern technology ;)

Oh yes, many a happy(?) day with NHs. Wiggling the handling to try and get the twine end to catch on the bale..... Chain and bars too - those were the days.  ;D

Yet another I'll get to one day then, though I think it's more accessible than some, I'll be getting my pc sorted soon once my radio slot's finished next week.

Hope you soon get your scanner working Nigel, can't wait to see all your pictures and I'm getting on a bit so don't be too long. :D

Did you see the post of the Parmiter factory. Ref the Flowell feeder. Did you, or do you know Richard Flower from Framfield?

No , didn't see the Parmiter post (Driver?    ::);D), haven't been on much lately, Never met Richard but remember seing articles about his feeder in Ag press when new.

The Parmiter post is a bit further down the page from the implements subject. I'm sure it'll trigger a few memories for you. ::)

Good news folks, I've just found an instruction book on E Bay for the Big Baler. With a bit of luck and my crafty bidding tactics; it'll soon be mine 8);)

I will post up any interesting pictures if I get it. It wasn't  a very good machine but interesting to look at and read about. ;)

the last time i saw one was 1983 hell of a machine for its day, i also remember a bale packer for small bales which was towed behind the baler like a sledge and stacked 20 bales and banded them with wire i think this was built by howard as well :-\

the last time i saw one was 1983 hell of a machine for its day, i also remember a bale packer for small bales which was towed behind the baler like a sledge and stacked 20 bales and banded them with wire i think this was built by howard as well :-\

I know McConnel used to make something along those lines called the "Bale Slave", never seen one in use though

Good news folks, I've just found an instruction book on E Bay for the Big Baler. With a bit of luck and my crafty bidding tactics; it'll soon be mine 8);)

I will post up any interesting pictures if I get it. It wasn't  a very good machine but interesting to look at and read about. ;)

What happened to your crafty bidding tactics........not that I mind of course ::);D

Will post up some picturse of it when it arrives ;):)

I know McConnel used to make something along those lines called the "Bale Slave", never seen one in use though

The Bale Slave was just a foreloader attachment for picking up a square pile of 8, though 7 was better as the 8th one used to drop off so easily apparently. The Balepacker indeed used to band about 20 together as a bound stack (lette!).

What happened to your crafty bidding tactics........not that I mind of course ::);D

Will post up some picturse of it when it arrives ;):)

Sadly I missed out on it because I was down my stepdaughter's house building a compound for her cats, and forgot all about it. I was really annoyed about it. It went for one pound and one pound postage. >:(

Howard had their own bale grab for the big bales. The Bale Packer was made by Mc Connel.. I think we ST's only sold a couple of them, one of which I picked up from their factory. ;)

Sadly I missed out on it because I was down my stepdaughter's house building a compound for her cats, and forgot all about it. I was really annoyed about it. It went for one pound and one pound postage. >:(

It arrived today, certainly worth the ?2 it cost ;D

The Bale Slave was just a foreloader attachment for picking up a square pile of 8, though 7 was better as the 8th one used to drop off so easily apparently. The Balepacker indeed used to band about 20 together as a bound stack (lette!).

I remember my dad using a McConnel Balepacker when I was a young boy it was towed behind a New Holland baler which was powered by a 4wd County 4000

It arrived today, certainly worth the ?2 it cost ;D

GRRRRRRR  >:(If I had been bidding on it, you wouldn't have won it. It would have been mine, cos I wanted it so badly I was going to whop in a biggy bid to make sure I got it, and in the last thirty seconds too. ::)  Spiteful little bleeder aint I? ;D

Still I'm glad it went to a good home and look forward to any pictures you post. No hard feelings  :-*, ya li'l bu**er. :D

GRRRRRRR  >:(If I had been bidding on it, you wouldn't have won it. It would have been mine, cos I wanted it so badly I was going to whop in a biggy bid to make sure I got it, and in the last thirty seconds too. ::)  Spiteful little bleeder aint I? ;D

Still I'm glad it went to a good home and look forward to any pictures you post. No hard feelings  :-*, ya li'l bu**er. :D

As soon as I get some spare time I'll post some up here, maybe tomorrow as its raining now so will be too wet for silage baling :-\

• 2 months later...

Many thanks for posting up the pictures and getting your scanner working. Perhaps you could PM Nigel Ford and tell him how to get his working as he has many pictures of farm machines of that era, that I and probably many more of us would like to see...

I only ever used one of those once; and that was at the South of England show. We had a load of small bales which had got broken up and we rebaled them with it. I've never actually seen one working in the field though. We only ever sold a few of them before the Farmhand Vermeer and the Claas Rollant 62 appeared and immediately cut short Howards chances of selling any more. It was a good idea at the time, but just wasn't well enough developed to be a success.

Once again, many thanks. ;):)

I've just listed an operators instruction manual for the Howard Bigbaler on Ebay just this morning if you're interested. I will post up the link in a mo so's you can look at it.

Here it is.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320151695796&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=011