Tractor & Machinery July 2007

I don't usually have much time for this magazine, it does not usually cover the sort of thing i am interested in, and IMO, has a very old fashioned look.

However the current issue has an article on page 46 about the re-build of a Roadless Ploughmaster 6/4. This is one of the nicest looking tractors i have seen in a very long time and, as some of you will be aware, i am an out and out Massey man. The tractor is painted in Roadless's export colours of grey and blue and really looks the business. Why did Roadless not keep this colour scheme ?

Also, if you get chance, check out the SMOMOT Land Rover based forage harvester on page 88.

My god ! two interesting articles in one issue of T & M, what ever next.

Next issue of Tractor & Machinery will have some very interesting articles in it. In the back of the current issue about the next issues content is a little vague but I have been informed of some of the articles that will be in, especialy the model section. Sorry can't say too much about it as I've been sworn to secrecy.

The next issue of CLASSIC TRACTOR contains a 3-page feature on Irish custom builders Paul and Brian Moynan.

It is in response to Farm Toys Forum members' requests for more stories on custom builders and their collections.

We do listen!

Regards

Rory Day

Editor

The next issue of CLASSIC TRACTOR contains a 3-page feature on Irish custom builders Paul and Brian Moynan.

It is in response to Farm Toys Forum members' requests for more stories on custom builders and their collections.

We do listen!

Regards

Rory Day

Editor

And what a great magazine it is Rory! We thank you for listening. My number one choice  ;)

In T&M has this been a rebuild over a few magazines in different parts like they do in CT? I may have seen it, it does look very well done

We do listen!

Regards

Rory Day

Editor

Cheers Rory, Look forward to getting next months. By the way do you collect models or anything along those lines ;)

Dear MDFord,

I certainly do collect models. I used to collect a bit of everything, but have been focusing on John Deere for about 8+ years. I've got about 200 Deeres in all scales, plus about another 30+ of bits and pieces from Gama, Ertl, etc.

I was lucky enough to be given a very nice Britains JD 4020 on a wooden plynth last week as thanks from John Deere for Classic Tractor's involvement in rebuilding a 1966 JD 4020 for their 40th anniversary. There is a plate on it with the inscription:

'Presented to Rory Day with thanks from John Deere Limited on the occasion of our 40th anniversary & Classic Tractor's 4020 Restoration of 'BEV' 1966-2006'.

This is probably now one of my most cherished models.

My main interest, however, is in old tractor literature, something I've been collecting since about 1988. Currently up to the 12 filing cabinet mark and counting.

Regards

Rory

Rory, I'm sure that 4020 is very special and has pride of place in your collection 8)

Could you put some pics up of your collection, it sounds magnificent.I'd like to see some and I'm sure others on here would :)

MD Ford,

I can try, but how do I post up a picture as my camera takes 3Mb j-peg files?

Regards

Rory

Ummmm ...pass. I'm not that computerised yet :D  I just reduce the picture using "paint" Ctrl & W to about 30 x30 then additional options when posting. Hope that makes sence, someone else can probably explain it better, like they did to me a while ago (FB was it)

Ummmm ...pass. I'm not that computerised yet :D  I just reduce the picture using "paint" Ctrl & W to about 30 x30 then additional options when posting. Hope that makes sence, someone else can probably explain it better, like they did to me a while ago (FB was it)

If I remember rightly, Photobucket automaticly reduces the size of pics for pasting to forum aplications,. I think you have to set your preferences and tick the forum size box when you start using it when you 'open your account'

I don't usually have much time for this magazine, it does not usually cover the sort of thing i am interested in, and IMO, has a very old fashioned look.

However the current issue has an article on page 46 about the re-build of a Roadless Ploughmaster 6/4. This is one of the nicest looking tractors i have seen in a very long time and, as some of you will be aware, i am an out and out Massey man. The tractor is painted in Roadless's export colours of grey and blue and really looks the business. Why did Roadless not keep this colour scheme ?

Also, if you get chance, check out the SMOMOT Land Rover based forage harvester on page 88.

My god ! two interesting articles in one issue of T & M, what ever next.

That Roadless was a real stunner, and what I think makes it look so good, is the correct shade of grey used on it. Most are painted in a shade that is too pale. Only one thing let it down, and that was those horrendously vile looking polished copper fuel pipes. The man spends mega bucks doing a fantastic authentic restoration like that, and completely ruins it with something from the traction engine era. yuk,

I take it that this 4020 won't be scrapped for its front axle like most of its brothers  ;D ;D :D :D

To do the pictures, upload them to a Photobucket account. It will automatically sort the resizing and give you the [ img ] html code to insert into a post on FTF which will allow it to be displayed.

Looking forward to seeing the article on Paul & Brian. I've been to their workshop and their stuff is amazing.

We do listen!

Regards

Rory Day

Editor

Excellent Rory - looking forward to that one dropping through the letter box.

I always get both mags and i also always buy tractor aswell i usually has some good non related tractor articals aswell.

I actually subscribe to most of the tractor magazines since I have each from number one and collecting is like a drug for me!!

Classic Tractor

Tractor

Tractor & Machinery

Old Tractor

Farm & Horticultural Equipment

Vintage Tractor

In my opinion all magazines are good in there own way and although I have some criticisms on T&M at times I think the magazines gets a lot of unnecessay stick. It was one of the first magazines on the go before that there was really other Arthur Battel ( Nick of the Old 20 parts Co dad).

I must say I would rate my favourite ones as being "Tractor" and thats not just because it features articles from Scotland!!!! but it has such varied articles.